• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Considering buying at buganvilias

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to buy our first timeshare.
First of all thanks to all for the great advise I have found here!
I have found a 2 bed/ 2 bath presidential suite for sale for $500.
We actually haven’t been to this resort, but have been to Mexico many times and love PV. Buganvilias looks like a great resort for us.
questions:
What is the usual resort transfer fee? Closing costs? Other costs?
We are Canadian. I believe the seller is in the US. Other than exchange, which we have factored in to our budget, are there other considerations (legally etc)?
Is this a reasonable price? I have seen that some lucky ppl have found this resort for $1 on eBay, but I’m not seeing those prices currently.
How well does it trade with RCI if we want to go elsewhere?
Anything else I haven’t considered?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I believe the transfer fee is $150 or $250. It's a straight transfer with the resort, so there should be no other costs. If it's a presidential suite, one of the bedrooms is a king and the other one is a Murphy bed, which I believe is a queen, but I could be wrong. There's a partial kitchen with a 2 burner cooktop and a microwave. The presidential sky suites are a bit nicer and have a separate sitting room; with the presidential the Murphy bed is in the same room as the kitchen. The presidential suites are also lockouts. Not sure what the maintenance fee is. You can call them and ask.

Most of their contracts run for 15 years, so you'll need to verify how many years are left on it. Some contracts also come with a bonus week every year. Talk to Guillermo at member services about the contract after you get an estoppel or at least the contract number from the seller.

The resort is quite nice. I just picked up a presidential sky suite off eBay with about 9 years left on it; I've seen them periodically on sumdayvacations.com as well. Good location near the malecon and walking distance to the old town. Pittle is a long time owner who is down there now for thanksgiving (the U.S. one) and can probably answer your questions better than I since I have only stayed there once. Easy to get there by bus from the airport for 7 1/2 pesos if you're traveling light; bus stop is out past the body snatchers, all the way to the left after the taxis, around the corner and out the gate.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Also, there are three presidential suites there for sale in the TUG marketplace for the same price. You should compare the number of years left on each and any other features of the contracts before picking which one is right for you.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Eric!
Yes the imperial suites look fantastic but are considerably more expensive. And I think the size of the presidential suite would be fine for us for now.
MF is $675 which is fine.
I was wondering about other closing costs, if there are any. I saw another unit on SMTN and they quoted 5 times the MF plus other fees! That could just be their upcharge though.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The imperial suite are different than the presidential sky suites and the imperial sky suites. We just stayed in a presidential suite and liked it. $675 isn't bad for a week there, too, though you need to take into account the $500 plus the transfer fee. That's why I suggested checking the others on the TUG marketplace, too.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
The imperial suite are different than the presidential sky suites and the imperial sky suites. We just stayed in a presidential suite and liked it. $675 isn't bad for a week there, too, though you need to take into account the $500 plus the transfer fee. That's why I suggested checking the others

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Good advise. I have contacted one of the others but the MF is quite a bit more. The other only has 1 bathroom
And yes the sky suites look awesome too. Maybe some day.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We love Buganvilias! We are here right now. Like Eric said - Presidential has 1 bedroom and 2 bathrooms. The side with the kitchen/living room has a pull-down Murphy bed. It may be a double. The furniture is "Flintstone" furniture - built-in to the walls with foam cushions. It does have a balcony and ocean view. The newly renovated ones are really nice, but there are just 4 of 14 floors renovated right now, and chances are you would not get assigned to those very often.

Check the weeks on the contract - some are for weeks 18-43 only which is mid-April to mid-to-late November. You will not get to use it December to mid-April. Units in the tower are floating, but weeks in the other buildings are often fixed weeks. Sky Suites also have fixed weeks. They may have changed some Sky Suites to float because of a comment a sales person made the 2nd year we were there. Once all the best weeks were taken, the others were not selling. :)

Check out the website and look at the floor plan and some pictures.
http://buganviliasclub.com/

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The seller says it’s for weeks 1-50 and she normally gets floors 1-4 and 8-13. I don’t know if those are renovated. I have asked her to send us the contract with all costs to read over. She is going to put me in touch with an escrow co ( one recommended by tug).

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
And I forgot to answer Eric’s question. The rtu expiry is 2037 so 19 weeks left.

Garden115

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, there are three presidential suites there for sale in the TUG marketplace for the same price. You should compare the number of years left on each and any other features of the contracts before picking which one is right for you.

These are constantly for sale on Craigslist and often on eBay. Redweek has many for rent and sale. I stongly suggest you visit before committing. At the risk of offending owners of that timeshare, I have stayed there and understand why so many are for sale and rent.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. Good advice. I have been thinking about that as well.

taffy19

Reaction score
We really like staying at the Buganvilias too like @pittle. We own a fixed week/unit on the second floor in the lower ocean-front B Building.

I have heard someone complain once that their condo was quite dark inside and I wonder if @Garden115 stayed in one of these units too? There are some condos at the Buganvilias Resort that look out at a narrow courtyard so their view has to be minimal and that is disappointing. By the way, I am not offended. Let us know what was disappointing to you.

It would be a very good idea to stay there first and see if you like the resort and check what condo numbers are acceptable to you so you know what you are buying and for how many more years.

You can buy re-sale condos right at the resort pool area. Talk to some people around the pool and they may know someone who is ready to sell. I have witnessed this every year.

We have several Canadians in our building and see each other every year and even go for dinner together sometimes and sit together at the pool. I know several people personally who have bought this way and went to the administration office to close the deal immediately while they were at the resort. I forgot how much they paid for the transfer fee but they found it reasonable.

We have always found the staff very friendly and helpful at the Buganvilias and that includes the administration office next to the front desk where they handle reservations on the phone, collections, etc. A few people have been there many years. We love this resort and plan to finish our contract! :D

taffy19

Reaction score
We are looking to buy our first timeshare.
First of all thanks to all for the great advise I have found here!
I have found a 2 bed/ 2 bath presidential suite for sale for $500.
We actually haven’t been to this resort, but have been to Mexico many times and love PV. Buganvilias looks like a great resort for us.
questions:
What is the usual resort transfer fee? Closing costs? Other costs?
We are Canadian. I believe the seller is in the US. Other than exchange, which we have factored in to our budget, are there other considerations (legally etc)?
Is this a reasonable price? I have seen that some lucky ppl have found this resort for $1 on eBay, but I’m not seeing those prices currently.
How well does it trade with RCI if we want to go elsewhere?
Anything else I haven’t considered?
Thanks!
I have no idea how well it trades with RCI because we do not use the exchange companies. I know that you can do internal exchanges with the Buganvilias if you own a fixed week/unit.

Building A are mostly floating week/units, except the newest, more expensive condos at the top floor. You need to make your reservations early and it seems to work well for my friends who own in Building A and D. However, Building D have fixed week/units too but my friend was always changing her dates, I remember. Her contract has run out now so she is using an exchange company for next year. I believe that it is HSI.

Our Building B has 1 BR, 1 Bath units and 2 BR, 2 Baths units and 3 BR, 3 Baths units. The 3 BR floor plans are different for each condo and the few I have seen are really nice. I love the architecture of this old building and the ocean view is magnificent. You may still find some B Building re-sale contracts available so keep an open mind.

Building A has panoramic views over the whole Bay and ocean and the corner units have a great view of the city too.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Taffy. There are so many different unit types, it’s hard to keep track. And they are called different things on each site I look at. Lol
I think a floating week is best for us for now with our work schedules. And all we really need is one bedroom as it will usually be the two of us. If we have the “kids” along, and need more than the Murphy bed, we can upgrade possibly. Or rent them rooms.
Yes I think we may rent first to check it out. But more for the atmosphere and activities of the resort than the actual room.. yes it has to be nice and have good balcony, but we don’t spend that much time in the room anyway.
I am also wondering what Garden was referring to. The reviews look great overall.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
When we checked in - they of course wanted us to go to a meeting to see what was going on - and we really do not care as long as we have our Sky Suite each year. :) Lucy mentioned Marriott relationship, but we would NEVER exchange our Sky Suite unit!!! So why bother? We have 8 more years there.

We absolutely love this first floor 2 bedroom in the B building! :) Sky Suite Imperial is better, but this one is a close 2nd!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have no idea how well it trades with RCI because we do not use the exchange companies
Her contract ran out so she is now using an exchange

I believe that it is HSI.

That makes sense . - HSI

Taranova - my Toronto, Canada based TS ownership (4 non Canada locations / 1200 or so members ) - recently added the Advantage Program ( part of HSI )as a member option / in addition to RCI .

HSI - AP seems to have a decent Puerto Vallarta selection including Buganvilias . The units sizes showing are mostly studios and Jr. Suites and some full 1 bedrooms., and are likely developer deposits (imo). Prices and date selections are decent , with some peak / snowbird season selection currently showing availability. ( as of Nov 13- 2018)

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I think a floating week is best for us for now with our work schedules.

Yes I think we may rent first to check it out. But more for the atmosphere and activities of the resort than the actual room.. yes it has to be nice and have good balcony, but we don’t spend much time in the room anyway ........

Agree -
You are Canadian - It's winter - Puerto Vallarta Mexico is warm & sunny .

FYI - If you get a floating week - just make sure that you know when the booking window opens for the month / week you need .
remember your competing with every other cold climate based owner. ( LOL )

As a none Buganvilias owner I don't know details .
I do know as a Mayan owner who wants the PV - Marina location - Feb weeks in my contract can be booked 6 months ahead (Aug 1 )
If we want President's Week / Friday check in I need to call at 8 am .

rpennisi

Reaction score
We bought a Buganvilias studio EOY for non snowbird weeks in 2002. We used it once (the studio in the tall building, great view). But since then, we deposit it into RCI and get enough TPUs to trade back into Buganvilias (several times) for January and get a one bedroom suite. We pay our maintenance when we are there, and have them deposit it into RCI. So far, that works well, but as others in the Mayan world know, things change...though hopefully not will Buganvilias.

taffy19

Reaction score
That makes sense . - HSI

Taranova - my Toronto, Canada based TS ownership (4 non Canada locations / 1200 or so members ) - recently added the Advantage Program ( part of HSI )as a member option / in addition to RCI .

HSI - AP seems to have a decent Puerto Vallarta selection including Buganvilias . The units sizes showing are mostly studios and Jr. Suites and some full 1 bedrooms., and are likely developer deposits . Prices and date selections are decent , with some peak / snowbird season selection currently showing availability. ( as of Nov 13- 2018)
My friend really likes HSI and uses them all the time. She is a snowbird too and stays at least eight weeks in Mexico or part of the time even in HI.

She travels often with family or friends so will stay in larger units or smaller multiple units.

She owned a 3 BR unit at the Buganvilias and decided not to renew that contract. She got rid of the other contracts (Mayan Palace, Velas Vallarta) but can still use HSI. It seems to be very reasonable because she joined them many years ago.

I heard from other owners, who went on a presentation last year, that the Buganvilias is using a different exchange company now but I can’t remember the name.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fees for Presidential suites is in the 850 US area, not 675. You have to add in the tax. Presidential contracts have different end dates...I have 3 different end dates.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point. I didn’t know MFs are taxed.
And yes it seems all contracts have different expiry dates and other rules. I guess whatever was negotiated in the sale.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3 contracts. First was bought from the developer, EOY, at 12,000 dollars. Second one was 750 on the internet and the third was one dollar. Total was about 13,000.

Sandjay

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 3 contracts. First was bought from the developer, EOY, at 12,000 dollars. Second one was 750 on the internet and the third was one dollar. Total was about 13,000.
Hi Karen Do you have different suites and if so which one is your favourite?

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandyjay, they are all floating Presidentials. I always reserve a year in advance and get 4 weeks in the same unit.