• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confused about what happens to SO Reservation upon resale transfer

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok, I did a thread search, but got conflicting info. One thread seemed to suggest that a Staroption reservation WOULD transfer to the new owner, as long as the name was exactly the same as the new owner. But another thread says only a Home Resort reservation transfers. Can someone tell me which is correct? Obviously I don’t want to lose the Staroption reservation. It’s a long story but both the transfer company and the current owner royally screwed up to the point where they lost the home reservation window but were able to set an SO reservation at the home resort for *almost* the right type of unit. If I lose it now because of the transfer going through I will be devastated AND pissed.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
The home resort reservation went through on my recent purchase. The seller made the reservation to hold the staroptions and not use them, I ultimately cancelled it, but the reservation survived the ownership transfer, hopefully the same will happen for you.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The home resort reservation went through on my recent purchase. The seller made the reservation to hold the staroptions and not use them, I ultimately cancelled it, but the reservation survived the ownership transfer, hopefully the same will happen for you.
So in your case, it was a home reservation that didn’t use Staroptions, correct?

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I had a transfer of Flex points. It was a biennial and the owner had to bank Staroptions into the next year. She made reservations and put my name on them as well. After transfer the reservations are still there but the left over Staroptions did not transfer. I do not know if it was kept because the previous owner paid for VSN membership into the next year due to transfer only took place the following year.

I have read conflicting advice as well and understood, after reading multiple threads, that reservations made with Staroptions did not transfer when made with a voluntary resort but does with a mandatory resort. In my case however this seemed not to be the case. The reservation does not show up in my account and the other owner cannot access her account anymore but I called the resort and the reservation is still there, although under the previous owners name and with mine tagged on. I can confirm that I phoned three times during the course of a month to make sure. The last time wast last week because our trip is coming up this week and I did not want to turn up and not have a reservation. Every time when I said my name first they could not find the reservation but then found it under the old owners name with mine tagged on.

andysnovel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section, BlueGreen Charleston,SC
So in your case, it was a home reservation that didn’t use Staroptions, correct?
To be honest with you not sure, staroptions for that year were gone and reservation was in place. I finally was able to cancel it as the new owner and get my staroptions back for year, when previous owner made that reservation I do not know.

boisebruin

Reaction score
ok, I did a thread search, but got conflicting info. One thread seemed to suggest that a Staroption reservation WOULD transfer to the new owner, as long as the name was exactly the same as the new owner. But another thread says only a Home Resort reservation transfers. Can someone tell me which is correct? Obviously I don’t want to lose the Staroption reservation. It’s a long story but both the transfer company and the current owner royally screwed up to the point where they lost the home reservation window but were able to set an SO reservation at the home resort for *almost* the right type of unit. If I lose it now because of the transfer going through I will be devastated AND pissed.

This is what I got back from Vistana:

"Upon review, I see you have reservation [reservation number redacted] arriving on October 26, 2019 and reservation [reservation number redacted] arriving on November 2, 2019.

Please be advised, if you sell your Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI) prior to October 26, 2019, you will forfeit both reservations, unless the new occupancy for the new Owner is not until 2020."

[Reservation numbers redacted at request of poster]

Last edited by a moderator:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
so it sounds like I need a contract addendum that says usage starts 2020?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
@boisebruin you may wish to edit your post and remove the reservation numbers.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I called today to Vistana. I was told that if the reservation, whether home or Staroptions is in my name, and they see it matches the new owner, the reservation will transfer to me. They couldn’t point me to this in writing anywhere. Has anyone ever actually had this happen?

boisebruin

Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I am not sure how to edit an already posted post.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Robert. I am not sure how to edit an already posted post.
You can only edit your own posts for about 48 hours (iirc) after you post it. Click the blue 'edit ' at the bottom of your post, by the time stamp. It disappears when you can no longer edit.
You could try clicking 'report' and ask the moderator to delete those numbers.

Jim

boisebruin

Reaction score
You can only edit your own posts for about 48 hours (iirc) after you post it. Click the blue 'edit ' at the bottom of your post, by the time stamp. It disappears when you can no longer edit.
You could try clicking 'report' and ask the moderator to delete those numbers.

Jim
Thanks guys.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)