• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Computer Networking Problem

2Blessed

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will try to make this short. In December 05, our second computer crashed. We got the blue screen:( We reinstalled Windows 2000 and the wireless PC adapter. For some reason, we kept getting a lot of error messages. I then took it in to our computer guy, and he basically did the same thing, but he was able to reformat and fix the error messages. I tested everything in his shop and it worked fine. Last week, I lost my LAN connection again. I have tried unplugging the router (linksy) and modem (D-link) and rebooting, but I cannot get the internet. I have checked my PC card, and it shows that "device is working properly". I called my computer guy, and he said it would probably cost $100- 200 to fix it if it is a networking problem. My first computer is hardwired to a cable connection in the wall (Comcast) and is working fine. My second computer is across the hall around a corner in another room. Do you think that my PC card is not picking up the signal? I purchased my router back in 2004. I now see from the Bestbuy ads, that my router is considered the basic brand (Wireless -G model WRT54G. Any idea on what I should do? Should I have Comcast hardwire the second computer, should I try upgrading my router, or have a techie do a housecall? The computer guy also said that it would be hard to try and figure out the problem on the phone. He said it could be anything from a neighbors garage door opener or a 2.4gHz phone that is causing interference. I am stumped. Thanks.

Brenda

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is rent a cable modem from Comcast to replace the D-link modem. The D-link modem is low on the food chain while the rental unit is top notch. If this solves the problem then either continue to rent or purchase a similar quality product.

If this does not solve the problem, you can discontinue the rental program in a heartbeat. Then you might want to look at switching to a hardwire system. Would need a router and some wire. If you can route the wire to connect the two computers to the router, it becomes pretty simple. There would be no need to get Comcast involved in setting up a hardwire based network.

taffy19

Reaction score
JMHO as I am not an expert.

Brenda, if you have a Linksys' router, PC card or network adaptor, I would call them. They will help you until you are back in business again unless something is defective. However, they only seem to help you if everything is from Linksys' like in our case except the DSL modem.

I called them recently and our stuff is very old but they still helped me. Here is their phone number (1-800-326-7114). I will buy Linksys' products again because of their good telephone technical help over the years. They are not as simple as some of the other products, I am told but I don't know.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think calling is a good idea.

I'm confused as to what your setup is from your post. With cable internet, you should have one cable modem connected to the cable (usually not d-link or linksys brand there), and then a router/wireless/switch connected to that (assuming yours is the WRT54G, right?). Your wireless PC needs a wireless device. You say you have a PC card wireless device, right? What brand/model is that? Do you mean a PCI card? (Is it a desktop or a laptop?)

Does the wireless icon appear, and does it show that your network is in range? Or if you're using the PC card's vendor software to manage the connection, does it show that your network is in range? (Usually, this is under view available wireless networks)

-David

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Using the computer that has the hard-wired Internet connection, download the latest driver for your wireless card. Put that file on a disk or memory stick, then install it on the computer with the WiFi hookup.

My son had a similar problem with his laptop after he reformatted his hard drive. Turned out that the Utilities disk that Dell supplied with his computer didn't have the correct driver. After he downloaded and installed the correct driver, he was up and running in no time.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
A reasonable suggestion, Steve, but if I read it correctly, OP had it working after the re-install.

-David

2Blessed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replys. I have a cable connection from the wall that is connected to my D-Link modem, which is connected to my CPU. I purchased my modem in 2004 rather than renting from Comcast. I was told it would be cheaper in the long run. I have a wireless card for my second desktop. I cannot remember the model number off hand, but it is a Linksy, and is compatible to the WRT54G. I am not sure about checking to see if the network is in range. At the bottom right hand corner of my screen, I have a icon tha looks like a monitor, and it has a big red X oover the icon. I have tried troubleshooting this with Comcast and Linksy. They have had me to go control panel, click on system, then device manager, and finally network adapter. In the device status box, I get a mesage saying that this device is working properly. Maybe I will call again when I get home this afternoon and talk to someone different. I was hoping this would be an easy fix, but I may have to call someone to the house afterall. To complicat matters even more, I have a old Dell laptop that my brother sent me a few weeks ago. I have a PCI card installed, but it will not pick up a signal either, even when it is sitting next to the router. Go figure? It works at the computer guy shop. I think I need to make a phone call. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Brenda

Icarus said:
I think calling is a good idea.

I'm confused as to what your setup is from your post. With cable internet, you should have one cable modem connected to the cable (usually not d-link or linksys brand there), and then a router/wireless/switch connected to that (assuming yours is the WRT54G, right?). Your wireless PC needs a wireless device. You say you have a PC card wireless device, right? What brand/model is that? Do you mean a PCI card? (Is it a desktop or a laptop?)

Does the wireless icon appear, and does it show that your network is in range? Or if you're using the PC card's vendor software to manage the connection, does it show that your network is in range? (Usually, this is under view available wireless networks)

-David

JeffV

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You might check for new firmware for your router. I had this problem with an Airlink router and new firmware solved the problem. You might also download the latest drivers and reinstall them. Sometimes Windows tries to use it's own generic drivers and they won't work. Good luck.
I see there are 5 versions of that router, make sure you get the right one. They are all listed in customer support on the linksys website.

Last edited:

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to that icon that looks like a monitor with the red X, and right click on it and choose "view available wireless networks".

Do you see your network in there? If you do, highlight it and click the 'connect' button. If you don't, try clicking on 'refresh network list', and then try connecting again. If you are using a WEP key, you may need to adjust the settings, using "Change advanced setting". It won't connect if it doesn't know the WEP key and you have some other settings checked like "the key is provided for me automatically". During your troubleshooting, those settings may have been reset and you may have to reenter them. If you still don't see it, you might want to try downloading a program named "netstumbler" that will report what (if any) wireless activity your wireless device is seeing.

If you still don't see your network in "choose a wireless network" page, you need use your web browser on the hardwired computer to connect to your d-link modem. I assume this is some sort of combination cable modem/switch and wireless network router? Do you know how to connect to it from your web browser on the computer connected directly to it? If you do, make sure the wireless is enabled on it, and that you are transmitting the SSID (your network name). If you are sure that your wireless card is working in the other computer, the problem might be with this modem/switch/wireless router if that's, in fact, what you have. It could be as simple as a mis-configuration in one end or the other. If the wireless computer can see the network, then it's probably a mis-configuration on the wireless computer. If it can't see the network (with netstumbler), then either the wireless is turned off on the d-link modem/switch/wireless router, or it's a hardware failure on the modem/switch/wireless router.

-David

Last edited:

2Blessed

TUG Member
Reaction score
David,

Great info. I do get what you are saying. For some reason, I believe it is a problem with the router. I will give Comcast and Linksy a call when I get home. They have been very helpful in the past. I do not want to attempt to "fix" it without expert assistance. I am afraid that I may click the wrong button. Hopefully I will have good news tonight. Thanks.

Brenda

Icarus said:
Go to that icon that looks like a monitor with the red X, and right click on it and choose "view available wireless networks".

Do you see your network in there? If you do, highlight it and click the 'connect' button. If you don't, try clicking on 'refresh network list', and then try connecting again. If you are using a WEP key, you may need to adjust the settings, using "Change advanced setting". It won't connect if it doesn't know the WEP key and you have some other settings checked like "the key is provided for me automatically". During your troubleshooting, those settings may have been reset and you may have to reenter them. If you still don't see it, you might want to try downloading a program named "netstumbler" that will report what (if any) wireless activity your wireless device is seeing.

If you still don't see your network in "choose a wireless network" page, you need use your web browser on the hardwired computer to connect to your d-link modem. I assume this is some sort of combination cable modem/switch and wireless network router? Do you know how to connect to it from your web browser on the computer connected directly to it? If you do, make sure the wireless is enabled on it, and that you are transmitting the SSID (your network name). If you are sure that your wireless card is working in the other computer, the problem might be with this modem/switch/wireless router if that's, in fact, what you have. It could be as simple as a mis-configuration in one end or the other. If the wireless computer can see the network, then it's probably a mis-configuration on the wireless computer. If it can't see the network (with netstumbler), then either the wireless is turned off on the d-link modem/switch/wireless router, or it's a hardware failure on the modem/switch/wireless router.

-David

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
2Blessed said:
Thanks for all the replys. I have a cable connection from the wall that is connected to my D-Link modem, which is connected to my CPU. I purchased my modem in 2004 rather than renting from Comcast. I was told it would be cheaper in the long run. ...

Brenda - I did the exact thing as you did. Bought a modem rather than rent from Comcast in order to save money over the long term. I then bought the D-Link cable modem for cheap price.

Subsequently when the modem failed (14 months later) I learned from Comcast that you get what you pay for... yep, of course. When I installed the Comcast Motorola rental modem the access speed SUBSTANTIALLY increased. From about 3000 KB/sec to >7000 KB/sec. Comcast said this was fairly standard when comparing Motorola to D-Link. Now all I need to do is buy the Motorola rather than $3/month rental.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kal - what Motorola model did Comcast give you?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Kal said:
It's a Surfboard SB4200
I'm running a 4100. Is your 4200 Docsis 2.0?

2Blessed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update

O.K., I am finally online again!! I called Comcast, and I was told that it was a router problem. I call Linksys support, and after troubleshooting with the tech for about 30 minutes or so I was back online. There was a problem with my wireless security setting and my channel number. Wow, I think I will have to add computer networking to my resume. I am glad that I did not have to spend any money. :) Thanks for all your help.

Brenda

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
T_R_Oglodyte said:
I'm running a 4100. Is your 4200 Docsis 2.0?

Steve - It's DOCSIS® 1.0 and 1.1 Certified. I wonder if a 2.0 update can be downloaded and installed onto the 4200?

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am shocked that you are using a router from 2004 and also running Windows 2000. I am also surprised that Linksys support would provide you free support on a route from 2004. Over time all sorts of things happen that make systems not work or cause security problems. Also how secure is your network if your running Windows 2000. I see that in 2010 Microsoft stop supporting it. Regardless if a system still works once a company has stopped supporting it I would get rid of it. Your only asking for trouble especially if you have limited IT knowledge. Congratulations on getting it running but I am not sure this is the best solution. Systems are so much easier to hookup to networks then they were 15+ years ago. I recommend that its time to update all your systems.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
[2006... Opps.]

Last edited:

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....comments from a post that originated in 2006.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
I am shocked that you are using a router from 2004 and also running Windows 2000. I am also surprised that Linksys support would provide you free support on a route from 2004. Over time all sorts of things happen that make systems not work or cause security problems. Also how secure is your network if your running Windows 2000. I see that in 2010 Microsoft stop supporting it. Regardless if a system still works once a company has stopped supporting it I would get rid of it. Your only asking for trouble especially if you have limited IT knowledge. Congratulations on getting it running but I am not sure this is the best solution. Systems are so much easier to hookup to networks then they were 15+ years ago. I recommend that its time to update all your systems.

He is only running a 2 year old router because he asked the question in 2006. Somehow you replied to a 14 year old thread. o_O

~Diane

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
LOL....I wonder why or how this thread popped up on my feed near the top....thats strange....I also thought it was strange at the time that no one else mentioned to replace the hardware. Well I guess now I know why. At least I dont feel so bad when I see Talent312 did the same thing I did.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It's easy to reply to an old thread without checking the date. Happens here often, but usually after someone found an old thread and asked a new question in it. We can only hope the OP resolved their issue long ago.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the OP must have figured it out, but still hasn't been on TUG since May of 2017.