TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Complicated points/booking question

Discussion in 'Hilton Grand Vacations Club / HGVC' started by hurnik, May 15, 2018.

1. hurnik

hurnik TUG Member

OK, not sure if this is doable, or how, but for your points gurus:

I have no more 2018 points, and 3,800 2019 points and my full allotment of 2020 points.

Now, I need to book a 2019 stay, so it'll use 3400 points of my 2019 points by default.
    BUT:

I also have a need to book a 2018 stay in NY, so I can't do that until 44 days out (in October), assuming something is available.

AFAIK:
    I cannot book a 2018 stay with 2020 points, only 2019 borrowed points.
    Correct?

I won't have enough points, if NY opens up, if I book my 2019 stay.

Now, the only 2 ways I know of to try to do this:

1) Book something in 2018 with 'enough' points that'll let me do a changeable one come October. The risk, of course, is that if NY doesn't have what I want, I'll have to cancel the reservation completely to release the points back into the system because you can't change a 2018 reservation into 2019, AFAIK. Then book my 2019 stay which will use some 2019 and 2020 points.

2) Book my 2019 stay and then "change" it down to like 3 days/whatever to release the 2019 points, book my 2018 stay and then change the 2019 stay back again to use the 2020 points. The downside to that is that a small possibility that the days get snagged up by someone else.

Am I missing another option?

Thanks!

2. jehb2

jehb2 TUG Member

Just wanted to give you a heads up. In the past couple of days I've made numerous changes to several vacations online. Sometimes I've had absolutely no problem making the change myself online. Then other times there have been all kinds of problems. For example the available days appear if I am making a new reservation, but when I try to snag the days via a reservation change Zero days appear. I mean for the whole calendar of days that appears on my computer screen for all room types. Then when I go back and act like its a new reservation the days reappear. I was however able to call a rep and they changed the reservation for free. Second kind of problem. I try to change to reservation and it goes to an "Sorry we're having a problem" screen. Rep fixed it for me. However, the last change I just tried to make, by the time the rep asked me my security question and verified my information someone snagged the days I wanted.

Good Luck.

3. tk25

tk25 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Kings Land 12,600 points; Sea World 8400 points and Las Vegas Boulevard 7000 points
    Yeah I had similar problems making an online reservation modification a few weeks ago and had to call in several days in a row while walking my reservation. No charge.

4. Seagila

Seagila TUG Member

A third option would be:
    1. Book a "bogus" stay in 2019 that uses the same number of points you would need to borrow for your 2018 reservation. This just serves to hold your 2019 points that you need to borrow in 2018.
    2. Book your "real" stay in 2019 using the remaining 2019 points and borrowing 2020's.
    3. When the Club Season opens for your 2018 reservation, you can cancel your "bogus" stay in 2019 to borrow the 2019 points into 2018.
    The downside is you lose the reservation fee for your "bogus" stay, but might be worth it to snag the 2018 reservation you need, while keeping your "real" 2019 reservation safe and intact.

ETA: After re-reading your post, the third option I proposed has effectively the same outcome as your option 1.

Last edited: May 15, 2018