• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Compensation for laundry ruined by resort washer?

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out later today so I need some quick advice. I decided to wash a few things yesterday and there must have been some bleach residue in the unit washer. The clothes are all ruined. Can I expect compensation? What is reasonable?

Deb

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Having been single for more years than I'd care to mention and doing my laundry in laundromats, I have done it myself. Spotted jeans and T's are sooo attractive!

But that said, I'm trying to visualize how you explain that this is somehow the resort's fault? They provided the machine and possibly the soap, but have no responsibility for whoever used it before you and no way to get any compensation from them to pass to you. I have a feeling that there is no sign above the washer saying 'NO BLEACH!'

Sorry to say it, but I think you are SOL.

Let this be a lesson to those of us who use resort washers to run a rinse/spin cycle through them before we load them with good clothes.

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I would agree with Jim. Plus, I'll bet anything there is some kind of sign that says the resort is not responsible, blah, blah, blah -- use at your own risk.

Kurt

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know what I'd do if I were on a BOD and there were similar complaints. So long washers, it was nice while it lasted. J

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it sucks, but it's not really the resort's responsibility. They can't be expected to cleanse and re-certify the washers and dryers between uses, which is essentially the inference in expecting compensation.

I think you're best off to chalk this one up to experience and move on.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Have to agree - use at your own risk. The resort / HOA cannot be expected to know what the last user(s) did to their equipment. If you're worried about "leftovers" in the washer then run a load without clothes first. It may not clear everything but that might help. Or wait til you get home to do the wash.

I don't see any compensation due.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Really?? You don't think I have a reasonable expectation to be able to use the laundry appliances without ruining my clothes? If it were as simple as running a rinse cycle before use, shouldn't housekeeping be doing this between guests?

I took my stained clothes down to the reception desk this morning. They called security. I filled out a claim form and the security guy took pictures of my clothes. I was given profuse apologies and told that this happens occasionally, it was definitely not my fault and that someone would be contacting me.

I guess I'll see if they actually agree to any compensation.

Deb

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really?? You don't think I have a reasonable expectation to be able to use the laundry appliances without ruining my clothes?

Reasonable expectation, yes. Compensation, no. But more power to you if you get something.

George

kjsgrammy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't expect most to post "no compensation due". I had an incident at our timeshare where clothes were stained when using the in unit washer and I was compensated a night's stay.

I'm in the minority here, but I agree with Deb that she should be compensated in some way.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very different...

Wow! I didn't expect most to post "no compensation due". I had an incident at our timeshare where clothes were stained when using the in unit washer and I was compensated a night's stay.

I'm in the minority here, but I agree with Deb that she should be compensated in some way.

I'm in the "you are SOL" group regarding actually being eligible for any cash compensation for clothing. Particularly on the day before check out, it would seem quite open to question just whose residual bleach may have been still sitting in that machine anyhow, but that's not my intended point...

With all due respect I would note that your having been "compensated" a night's stay was really no skin off the resort's nose at all. That's quite distinctly different from a resort having to consider "going to the hip" for a cash disbursement; your place (whatever and wherever it may have been) obviously had some vacant space to just let you use for an additional night --- a very easy (and entirely cost free) good PR move.:shrug:

Last edited:

richardm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm in the "you are SOL" group regarding actually being eligible for any cash compensation for clothing. Particularly on the day before check out, it would seem quite open to question just whose residual bleach may have been still sitting in that machine anyhow, but that's not my intended point...

I was thinking the same thing.. ;) But perhaps it was a single night's stay??? Of course, then- why would she need to do laundry.. Hmmmmmmm....

DebBrown- sorry this happened to you, but I'm of the opinion that your hand needs to go back into your own pocket in this instance.

SOS8260456

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do hope that they do compensate you in some way. However, I do think it is a long shot. I usually run a load of towels through before ever getting to clothes when on vacation. I don't do it on purpose, but I can see now that it also prevents our clothes from possibly getting ruined.

If housekeeping were expected to run a washer cycle between each guest, that would use up a lot of water. Plus, what if the previous guest never even used the washer...then running the rinse cycle would be even more a waste of money.

It is a reasonable expectation, but I put it up there with my having to wash the dishes before we use them, clean the whirlpool jets, and some other anal retentive stuff I do to make sure I am comfortable using the stuff in the unit.

I am sorry that it happened to you though.

LAX Mom

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this because it has never occurred to me that I should run a load of towels or an empty load before I use a washer in a timeshare. I occasionally use bleach at home, but would never use it on vacation.

Sorry about your laundry. That is so annoying when that happens!

Good luck!

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I wouldnt expect compensation I would be surprised if the resort didnt offer something

Why should the washing machine be the only device not cleaned between guests?....I m pretty sure the dishwasher is run, and the toilet flushed, and the shower cleaned between guests. Ive never found the trash cans un emptied, or yesterdays garbage still in the disposal...and I dont feel the need to wash all the dishes in the kitchen before I use them...They clean these places between guests and I think the expectation is that they clean everything

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that this just fits in the realm of "stuff happens".

Sometimes things in life just go wrong through no fault of our own. That doesn't mean that it must be the fault of someone else.

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that this just fits in the realm of "stuff happens".

Sometimes things in life just go wrong through no fault of our own. That doesn't mean that is must be the fault of someone else.

Very well put, Steve.

MommaBear

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out later today so I need some quick advice. I decided to wash a few things yesterday and there must have been some bleach residue in the unit washer. The clothes are all ruined. Can I expect compensation? What is reasonable?

Deb

I would expect compensation if my clothes were ruined, just as I would expect the airline to compensate me for a lost bag or the drycleaner to compensate me if they ruined an item... I think expecting that the equipment is in good order is not unrealistic. I always take my favorite clothes with me so it would be a double disappointment if those clothes got ruined. Good luck- let us know how this works out.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Sorry but I'm in the same group. When you use someone elses machine, you do so at your own risk. I fail to see how the liability falls on the resort. When we start looking to blame everyone else for things that happen then the world will become a very expensive place to live.

OVer the years I've had clothes spotted by timeshare washers/dryers. I'm never happy about it but, I'm using what is often a cheap machine and I know that using a cheap machine that I'm not maintaining has it's own risks. If I didn't want to take the risk I'd take my dirty clothes home with me and wash them in my own machine.

Last edited:

e.bram

Reaction score
You also have to worry about clothes that weren't ruined by the machine but someone says this happened. Since the evidence is gone and the fact that the machine was at fault can't be proved and compensation under such circumstances leads to fraud and abuse. The HOA should resist all such claims to prevent such fraud and abuse raising MFs

tiel

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a number of clothes items "ruined" in either the washer or dryer when at OceanWatch. Didn't notice any problem until we were folding the clothes, when we saw rusty lines on all the light-colored stuff. I was quite annoyed, but it never occurred to me to seek compensation of any sort from the resort. It was just something that happened, as far as we were concerned.

When we reported the problem to the front desk, so someone could look into the problem, we were told the resort was not responsible. We didn't think they were, we were just hoping something would be done so others wouldn't have the same problem. Of course, we have no idea if anything was ever done.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You also have to worry about clothes that weren't ruined by the machine but someone says this happened. Since the evidence is gone and the fact that the machine was at fault can't be proved and compensation under such circumstances leads to fraud and abuse. The HOA should resist all such claims to prevent such fraud and abuse raising MFs

A rare agreement with e.bram. HOA's have no business paying for this type of questionable claim. As mentioned above there is just no way to know when/what happened - it certainly cannot be proved that the resort machine was the cause (unless there happens to be a history of problems with that machine in which case neglecting to repair it WOULD be the resorts fault & thus responsibility. Doesn't seem to be the case here unless there is a history of problems not mentioned in the OP).

And what would be owed? There are few things worth less than used clothing. Only a used timeshare is worth less pennies on the dollar so even if they paid it shouldn't be more than $20-$25 max. Even "worn once" clothing depreciates to virtually no retail value. And damages are measured in value at the time NOT purchase cost. This is tempest over nothing IMO.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I had an evening ruined at a hotel by a power outage that lasted all evening.
I made a polite inquiry and was sternly told, "not our fault."

I wouldn't want my MF's spent to buy clothes over dubious claims.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had an evening ruined at a hotel by a power outage that lasted all evening.
I made a polite inquiry and was sternly told, "not our fault."

I wouldn't want my MF's spent to buy clothes over dubious claims.

And I dont like my mf being spent on housekeeping that doesnt happen

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
*Note to self - run wash machine without any clothes before using.