TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Comparison Chart of current major point system Timeshare developers

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by TUGBrian, May 20, 2017.

1. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

We have compiled a chart that provides a great high level overview comparison of the major Timeshare industry players currently (2017) that have point system memberships.

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html

Created with help from TUG members spurned by the discussion in this thread:

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-compare-point-systems.255425/

We hope you enjoy reading it and find it useful! It was quite a learning experience for all involved in creating it!

GregT likes this.
  2. qwerty

qwerty TUG Member

If I'm reading the chart correctly, you do not have a RCI points comparison. I see Wyndham which has same ownership but different point system.

3. rhonda

rhonda TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades, WinPointVIP
    Concerning RCI Points -- it should be addressed but it isn't in the same "ballpark" as the products listed in the table. RCI Points is more of a service than a product. One doesn't purchase pure points directly from RCI -- but, instead, one buys a separate timeshare that is 'converted to points' and 'affiliated' with the RCI Points exchange service.

There are many (hundreds? thousands?) of different timeshare resorts affiliated with RCI Points. Their cost and point structures will vary widely -- making it even more difficult to "average" than the handful of points products listed in the comparison table.

mpumilia and TUGBrian like this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I have come to love the insight from another TUGger (whom I couldn't find the source of, but a 'tip of the hat' anyway)

THE ULTIMATE POINT SYSTEM: CASH.

JIM

GregT, mpumilia and TUGBrian like this.
  5. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

Many of my vacations would cost me at least twice as much in the CASH Rental System. I use my cash to buy WorldMark points and get my vacations at a significant discount.

VanillaXtracts, mpumilia and TUGBrian like this.
  6. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

have had a few people send emails/calls about the lack of "rci points" listed in the comparison chart.

im not quite sure how we would incorporate a useful comparison given its not an actual membership you can "buy" but instead is an exchange company.... but we can talk it over more if you like!

7. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Why have you ignored Festiva?
    You may want to add Festiva to your listing. They have 21 resorts plus sailing vacation and they have an exchange network. They also exchange through I.I.

8. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

This would be more appropriate for a comparison of exchange companies - I wouldn't put it with the resort systems.

9. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    Not enough discussion or participation by Festiva members. I know nothing about it. Obviously no one else that contributed knew anything either or we would have added it.

Can't comment about what we don't know. I personally have Hilton, Wyndham and Holiday Inn points. I can comment about those just fine.

10. T_R_Oglodyte

T_R_Oglodyte TUG Lifetime Member

There are lots of smaller systems out there. As the systems get smaller, the return from effort involved to create the table and keep it updated diminishes. At some point it's no longer worthwhile.

Perhaps it would be good to also list out smaller systems that are not included in the chart, and suggest that people post questions in the "All Other Timeshare Systems" forum.

BTW, other systems, in addition to Festiva, include Vacation Internationale and Raintree.

11. DanZale2000

DanZale2000 TUG Member

Last summer I attended a sales presentation at The Grandview in Las Vegas -- a Vacation Village resort. They were selling RCI points and the pitch was indistinguishable from what I have received at pure points systems like Diamond Resorts and Bluegreen. I also attended the Bluegreen presentation at Club 36. I don't see how a newbie would have any idea there's a difference between RCI points and Bluegreen points.

12. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

This comparison chart is so cool.

TUGBrian likes this.
  13. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

we just need to find a shell owner/expert to fill in the last few blanks!

14. flyguy

flyguy TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

On the chart, ownership in Diamond Resort maintenance fee includes II membership.

15. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

Developer purchased points only. Developer points and resale points are held in separate accounts. An individual with both types will have two accounts. An II membership is included only with the developer account.

16. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Shell fees include an II membership but doesn't show on the chart.

Shell is crazy expensive, as I know so very well. However, using the points for 5-night stays, starting Sun, is much less expensive per night, and that is how we use our Shell ownership. Peacock Suites is cheap to stay, and it's really even cheaper than exchanging into the resort. It's only 2,550 points for a one bedroom for a full week, which is 23.5 per point X 2,550. That is a little less than $600 for a week. The two bedrooms during prime summer are only 3,900 points. It's less than that during some of the slower times of year. So it's not as bad as it looks.

TUGBrian likes this.
  17. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, Aulani, Worldmark
    Brian,

This is a good addition to TUG, I'm glad that it has been created and it will help many people!

Best,

Greg

TUGBrian likes this.
  18. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

thank you for the shell information, ive updated the chart and uploaded the new version to the site!

19. Binspira

Binspira TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Raintree
    TUGBrian likes this.
  20. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

glad you found us in time!

21. Binspira

Binspira TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Raintree
    Brian - Maybe you can start a new post like the one in 2006 where TUG members were surveyed about how they rank different time share companies and why? There is so much information out there and it would be interesting to see how things have shifted. Just a thought. Thanks for posting.

VABoyMom likes this.
  22. rhonda

Resorts Owned:
    Which post are you referring to, Binspira? Do you have a link? Thanks!

23. Binspira

Binspira TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Raintree
  24. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Brian,
    On Worldmark, majority of the timeshares require only 10,000 points for a 2BR. The MF is under $800 for 10K points.

rhonda likes this.
  25. rhonda

Resorts Owned:
    Ah, but it was updated? The new version is linked right at the top of the 1st thread: http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/timeshare-system-comparison-chart.html

In fact, you are commenting in the discussion topic related to that very update! :) Perhaps what is called for is a short list of "strengths and weaknesses" for each column?