• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

College Football Playoff Predictions!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
That Ohio State QB was ranked third on the roster chart all season. Wow!

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
In not a TCU fan, but that's a really ignorant statement. OSU winning doesn't, in any way, justify TCU's exclusion. I guess you don't know that TCU rolled Ole Miss in their bowl game.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes I do know that TCU won big but that win did not justify saying they belonged in the playoffs instead of OSU.

What was ignorant was the TCU fans (not on this forum) trying to claim their team should have been in the playoffs because of that win before OSU even played their playoff game.

They were shedding some crocodile tears and I was pointing out that their whining was unjustified. TCU did not do what they needed to in order to get in, the other four teams did.

L

laurac260

That Ohio State QB was ranked third on the roster chart all season. Wow!
Can you imagine, playing your second start, EVER as a college football QB, in the playoffs against the #1 team??? And then BEATING them??? :D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
What was ignorant was the TCU fans (not on this forum) trying to claim their team should have been in the playoffs because of that win before OSU even played their playoff game.

They were shedding some crocodile tears and I was pointing out that their whining was unjustified. TCU did not do what they needed to in order to get in, the other four teams did.

No, that wasn't ignorant at all. Whether or not TCU was qualified to participate in the playoff was totally independent of what OSU did.

I don't think there are many around that don't now think that TCU is/was capable of winning the playoff. They absolutely dominated the #9 team that beat the team the committee deemed #1. TCU absolutely did what they needed to do to get into the playoff, they just weren't picked to participate.

You can claim that both TCU and OSU should have made the playoff, but to claim that TCU wasn't qualified is laughable.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
My jaw dropped on that one as well!

Also, on Bama's last TD how did that receiver get so wide open for that deep pass to get them down the field!? What was that safety thinking!

Yeah, that kid was going to jump that route, when all he needed to be doing was back-pedaling.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So my wife, who watches most games, but isn't a CFB fanatic like me, asked me last night (after the games had concluded) "So in the BCS system, who would have been playing in the championship game?".

I was thinking almost certainly FSU would have been #1 based on being undefeated, and there would have been a lot of gnashing over whether Oregon or Alabama would be #2. Given the predominant SEC bias that's existed in similar previous scenarios, it's hard to imagine that the title game wouldn't be FSU v Bama. Anyone see it otherwise?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a few bowl games remaining:

POWER 5 CONFERENCES
Pac-12: 5-1 (wins by Utah, Arizona State, USC, Stanford and Oregon)
Big Ten: 5-4 (wins by Rutgers, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State)
SEC: 5-5 (wins by South Carolina, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia)
ACC: 4-6 (wins by NC State, Virginia Tech, Clemson Georgia Tech)
Big 12: 1-4 (Win by TCU)

THE REST
Conference USA: 4-1 (wins by Marshall, Western Kentucky, Rice, Louisiana Tech)
Independents: 2-1 (wins by Navy, Notre Dame)
Sun Belt: 1-1 (win by Louisiana-Lafayette)
Mountain West: 3-4 (wins by Utah State, Air Force and Boise State)
American: 1-2 (win by Memphis)
MAC: 1-3 (win by Bowling Green)

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
No, that wasn't ignorant at all. Whether or not TCU was qualified to participate in the playoff was totally independent of what OSU did.

I don't think there are many around that don't now think that TCU is/was capable of winning the playoff. They absolutely dominated the #9 team that beat the team the committee deemed #1. TCU absolutely did what they needed to do to get into the playoff, they just weren't picked to participate.

You can claim that both TCU and OSU should have made the playoff, but to claim that TCU wasn't qualified is laughable.

You are again missing my point.

When TCU won their bowl game their fans whined about not being picked ahead of OSU because that win somehow "proved" they should have been ahead of OSU.

By knocking off Alabama, OSU showed that they too can win against a good team.

For TCU fans to think they should have been selected, and using that win as proof, should have waited to see what the team that was selected did.

Personally, I never thought the committee would select OSU because they were down to their third string QB.

I don't know what the criteria was for selection but TCU wasn't selected therefore they didn't do what needed to be done to get in. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't have beat Alabama but if they didn't have that one loss they would have at least played in that game.

I also never said TCU isn't good enough to win it all but OSU's big win in a major conference title game probably put them over the top to get in.

I also never said OSU's win showed they were better qualified than TCU. What I did say was that TCU's win did not show they were better qualified and all their complaining took place before OSU played.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
With a few bowl games remaining:

POWER 5 CONFERENCES
Pac-12: 5-1 (wins by Utah, Arizona State, USC, Stanford and Oregon)
Big Ten: 5-4 (wins by Rutgers, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State)
SEC: 5-5 (wins by South Carolina, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Georgia)
ACC: 4-6 (wins by NC State, Virginia Tech, Clemson Georgia Tech)
Big 12: 1-4 (Win by TCU)

THE REST
Conference USA: 4-1 (wins by Marshall, Western Kentucky, Rice, Louisiana Tech)
Independents: 2-1 (wins by Navy, Notre Dame)
Sun Belt: 1-1 (win by Louisiana-Lafayette)
Mountain West: 3-4 (wins by Utah State, Air Force and Boise State)
American: 1-2 (win by Memphis)
MAC: 1-3 (win by Bowling Green)

This year was better than it has been in the past, but it didn't solve all of the issues related to identifying a number 1 team in the country based on what happens on the field.

What needs to happen is that there needs to be an 8 team playoff with 4 games feeding into the system we have now that happens 10 days prior to the Jan 1 games. The 8 teams should all be conference champions. This means "The Rest" need to join one of the other Power 5 conferences or form 3 other conferences. Then, and only then, can a real national champion be determined on the field. Win your conference and you are in the playoff. Win 3 playoff games and you are the national champion.

L

laurac260

When TCU won their bowl game their fans whined about not being picked ahead of OSU because that win somehow "proved" they should have been ahead of OSU.

For TCU fans to think they should have been selected, and using that win as proof, should have waited to see what the team that was selected did.

Personally, I never thought the committee would select OSU because they were down to their third string QB.

I don't know what the criteria was for selection but TCU wasn't selected therefore they didn't do what needed to be done to get in. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't have beat Alabama but if they didn't have that one loss they would have at least played in that game.

I also never said TCU isn't good enough to win it all but OSU's big win in a major conference title game probably put them over the top to get in.

I also never said OSU's win showed they were better qualified than TCU. What I did say was that TCU's win did not show they were better qualified and all their complaining took place before OSU played.

I wonder what Mark May would say to all this??? :D

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

TCU fans were complaining well before their bowl game, and justifiably so.

L

laurac260

:bawl:

I don't agree with how the rankings are decided either, but lord knows the Bucks have been on the receiving end of being dissed by the committee, MANY TIMES. But you know what we do, we just ROLL with it, baby!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
All we can do now is see where the ranking come out. As well as speculate. Baylor looked liked they deserved to be in the playoff as well until the 4th quarter. TCU or Baylor would have been in the playoff if there was a CCG.

The two semi final games were great to watch but I would like to see the games with less down time between the end of the regular season and playoff. A bowl game after a long layoff is one thing but not right for a playoff. The players will be thrown a few bones but they deserve more than that for packing the Superdome and Rose Bowl and then ATT Stadium. It may take 5-10 years for some players to earn what the coach may earn for winning the game.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
All we can do now is see where the ranking come out. As well as speculate. Baylor looked liked they deserved to be in the playoff as well until the 4th quarter. TCU or Baylor would have been in the playoff if there was a CCG.

The two semi final games were great to watch but I would like to see the games with less down time between the end of the regular season and playoff. A bowl game after a long layoff is one thing but not right for a playoff. The players will be thrown a few bones but they deserve more than that for packing the Superdome and Rose Bowl and then ATT Stadium. It may take 5-10 years for some players to earn what the coach may earn for winning the game.

Basically, you're making my argument for an 8 team playoff. It will pack stadiums, regardless of game location, and should fill the dead spot between the end of the regular season and Jan 1. If the logistics deem that one early season OOC game needs to be wiped away, so be it. Does anyone really want to see Alabama play Georgia State on Sep 5th, anyway?

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

I don't agree with how the rankings are decided either, but lord knows the Bucks have been on the receiving end of being dissed by the committee, MANY TIMES. But you know what we do, we just ROLL with it, baby!

The committee approach was new to CFB this year...........

L

laurac260

The committee approach was new to CFB this year...........

ok, let me reword… we have been on the receiving end of being dissed in the rankings many times… but again, we just ROLL with it. :rolleyes:

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if we went to the old bowl system (before the BCS), Oregon would be playing Ohio State (in the Rose Bowl). How ironic.

In addition, TCU would have had a big time game (as would Alabama and Florida State) - one that would have given them an opportunity to claim bragging rights as the real number one.

I know that I am a oner, but I would have no problem with the fact that there would have been controversy over who deserved the number one ranking after the bowl games. These are college kids, very few of whom will play pro bowl. No harm in lingering controversies over who was really the best. As far as a clear determination of who is best, I doubt that if a four team (or eight team playoff) could be played several times, the outcome would be same. Finally, much like the NFL playoff, the most interesting games are not the final one (and I am not talking about whether the individual game is a good one or not). Most of the most intriguing match ups come before the final game. In that vein, I have much less interest in the Oregon - Ohio State match up than I did in this week's games.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score

i'm not even a TCU fan and i thought it was garbage that political maneuvering got OSU into the playoffs over TCU (which had higher sagarin/computer ratings).

but at least the SEC is out of the championship game...

L

laurac260

i'm not even a TCU fan and i thought it was garbage that political maneuvering got OSU into the playoffs over TCU (which had higher sagarin/computer ratings).

but at least the SEC is out of the championship game...

Good lord. Political maneuvering?

The game comes on, I watch it. I cheer for my team, win or lose. Ya'll come on here and suck the FUN out of the sport with your analysis paralysis.

Sigh… I think I will sign off and enjoy our win. After all, our 3rd string quarterback deserves his accolades, political maneuvering or not. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if we went to the old bowl system (before the BCS), Oregon would be playing Ohio State (in the Rose Bowl). How ironic.

In addition, TCU would have had a big time game (as would Alabama and Florida State) - one that would have given them an opportunity to claim bragging rights as the real number one.

I know that I am a oner, but I would have no problem with the fact that there would have been controversy over who deserved the number one ranking after the bowl games. These are college kids, very few of whom will play pro bowl. No harm in lingering controversies over who was really the best. As far as a clear determination of who is best, I doubt that if a four team (or eight team playoff) could be played several times, the outcome would be same. Finally, much like the NFL playoff, the most interesting games are not the final one (and I am not talking about whether the individual game is a good one or not). Most of the most intriguing match ups come before the final game. In that vein, I have much less interest in the Oregon - Ohio State match up than I did in this week's games.

Actually, I'm not as opposed as you would think. What I took issue with was the corrupt BCS era where teams were nebulously selected to play in a game for the "National Championship". Call it what you want, but effectively hand picking two teams to play in one game is never going to be a National Championship. So any change away from that system is an improvement, whether it's a evolutionary change to a real (8 or more team) playoff, or a reversion to numerous good bowl games with the associated post bowl season bickering as to who is #1.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good lord. Political maneuvering?

The game comes on, I watch it. I cheer for my team, win or lose. Ya'll come on here and suck the FUN out of the sport with your analysis paralysis.

Just because you're not as passionate about CFB as some of us doesn't mean we don't have fun with it. It's just at a different level. Maybe if you'd been to 150+ CFB games in the past 20ish years, you'd feel the same?

L

laurac260

Just because you're not as passionate about CFB as some of us doesn't mean we don't have fun with it. It's just at a different level. Maybe if you'd been to 150+ CFB games in the past 20ish years, you'd feel the same?

Here's what Luke Fickell, defensive coordinator for the Bucks said after OSU was banned from post season play, “To me it’s just another thing, it’s just another hurdle,” Fickell said. “If it happens you have to get over it. What are you going to do, cry and whine about it? We can’t do that.”

So yea, that.

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

If TCU was "picked" over OSU then you would be shedding those same "crocodile" tears!

BTW, for the record I think the committee got it right!

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Now that's NOT true! In their 2 previous BCS NC games OSU got absolutely rolled and destroyed. This year, they lost by 14 points at home to a lousy ACC team. They did earn their way in, but to say when they were being evaluated and compared to the other teams being evaluated that they were being "dissed" is just ridiculous!

Clemson Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
ok, let me reword… we have been on the receiving end of being dissed in the rankings many times… but again, we just ROLL with it. :rolleyes:

That's laughable! The Big 10 has been down over the last decade, but by virtue of being undefeated OSU has been "picked" by the rankings to make 2 NC games where they just got bludgeoned!