• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club Wyndham Access

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Their is a Tier System under Wyndham Rewards, However, apparently Tier 1 is the lowest, Tier 4 is the highest. Re-reviewed the handwritten diagram done by the salesman and confirmed the Tier program that he said Wyndham Vacation Resorts was going to had Tier 1 as the high and Tier 3 as the low. Am still trying to get more info on what this criter is.

Please understand you, IMHO, are on a fool's mission! WHY in blue blazes are you try to understand what a pile of crap this salesperson (whose lips are moving) is slinging at you? He is NOT an expert - he owns nothing most likely (as he can rent stuff for $40/night or less as an employee IF he has the money to vacation or travel --- most employees use that benefit when they are HOMELESS). It is SMOKE and MIRRORS design to confuse you and you are trying to research it with whom?

Haven't you ever worked with someone who everybody KNOWS is does not shoot a 75 in golf, did not just win $300,000 on the scratch off and gave it to orphans for tax reason, or if you buy him a hamburger today, he will gladly buy you 2 next Tuesday? That person would have found a perfect career for themselves in selling timeshares.

Or as my grandmother would have said, "lay with dogs and you will get fleas".

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Please understand you, IMHO, are on a fool's mission! WHY ...

May be on a fools mission but I do have a vested interest in the new Tier System given I have 5 Myrtle Beach locations and stand to loss ARP and reservation priviledges during summer months. Sorry if members of the group are not interested. This will be the last update on the alleged new system.

Talked to Old Town Alexandria, per Ali (Ali and Alex are different sales people both work for Jesse Vaughn) The properties that are emerging as the Tier 1 resorts are National Harbor, Hawaii, Myrtle Beach (summer months) San Francisco, Bonnet Creek (the inside facility), New York and their may be more.

He indicated there is a full listing of the Tier 1 properties on what is called a “Rating Chart” . This chart is not on-line but is including the same properties that RCI has as Tier 1 properties. He indicated RCI is already under the Tier System. I could not get access to a full listing.

Called owner relations, they referred me to the Corporate Sales section for more information on the Tier system.

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Points are the driver - why would anyone buy an inflexible fixed week in a failed sys

Just realize that ANY purchase from Wyndham retail is a loser from the day you sign on. That they are now trying to tie up some of the resorts - and only the WAAM type or new construction of which there will be little to none for quite awhile - with some of the top weeks being in an out dated, old fashioned and failed fixed week type ownership does NOT impact the owners of the far more flexible & valuable Wyndham points. Ask those that were part of the last fixed week program Wyndham had about how THAT worked out for them (hint - not so good and most wish they had changed over to points when they could have back at the beginning of the points program). If it's retail it's a bad deal and any new purchase direct from Wyndham - VIP, Tier X or Cesspool level is a guaranteed loss to the buyer. Ignore that simpe fact at risk to your own wallet.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Talked to Old Town Alexandria, per Ali (Ali and Alex are different sales people both work for Jesse Vaughn) The properties that are emerging as the Tier 1 resorts are National Harbor, Hawaii, Myrtle Beach (summer months) San Francisco, Bonnet Creek (the inside facility), New York and their may be more.

He indicated there is a full listing of the Tier 1 properties on what is called a “Rating Chart” . This chart is not on-line but is including the same properties that RCI has as Tier 1 properties. He indicated RCI is already under the Tier System. I could not get access to a full listing.

People ARE interested so please ignore those that say otherwise. The whole Tier BS is once again - like VIP in may ways - nothing but sales hype. You can safely ignore it (and should as it is retail only based for the most part right now - resales may be along soon ) as whatever you actually want to use will continue to be available in the points system. These other tiny fractions of use time being carved out will be grossly overpriced and far less able to obtain desirable and cross resort inventory than the sinmple, cheap points system already offers. Stay there, buy only resale aand ignore the bleating of the weasels and you'll do well.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
People ARE interested so please ignore those that say otherwise. The whole Tier BS is once again - like VIP in may ways - nothing but sales hype. You can safely ignore it (and should as it is retail only based for the most part right now - resales may be along soon ) as whatever you actually want to use will continue to be available in the points system. These other tiny fractions of use time being carved out will be grossly overpriced and far less able to obtain desirable and cross resort inventory than the sinmple, cheap points system already offers. Stay there, buy only resale aand ignore the bleating of the weasels and you'll do well.

Thanks for the post: The outcome is that the Coorporate Direct System is not aware of the Tier System. The Regional Offices in Myrtle Beach just confirmed the Tier System is in effect for Myrtle Beach, Washington D.C. Las Vegas and Orlando (Damon, office is in Westwinds in Myrtle Beach). He indicated points could still be used in Tier One properties.

He explained that the Tier System is based on the RCI System. The Wyndham verision is as follows:

International interest resorts Tier 1
National interest resorts Tier 2
Local interest resorts Tier 3

Last edited:

toothlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tier

So Myrtle Beach as a high Tier means that you can not book there in summer unless you purchased points there through Fairfield or Wyndham? Or if you don't own some add on called the Tier system you can't book in summer? I HATE change!!!

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
So Myrtle Beach as a high Tier means that you can not book there in summer unless you purchased points there through Fairfield or Wyndham? Or if you don't own some add on called the Tier system you can't book in summer? I HATE change!!!

No. If you have the points needed and the inventory is there you can reserve it. Period. There are a very few weeks being sold as "Tier 1" that are guaranteed, fixed summer time. But it's like an owner using ARP and only for the few of those weeks they actually sucker someone into buying. It is a non-factor and most likely always will be as the vast majority of weeks are and will remain in the far more flexible and reasonably (at resale) priced points system - no tiers involved! (except TEARS from those that get hoodwinked into buying under the grossy over priced "tier" system)

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post: The outcome is that the Coorporate Direct System is not aware of the Tier System. The Regional Offices in Myrtle Beach just confirmed the Tier System is in effect for Myrtle Beach, Washington D.C. Las Vegas and Orlando (Damon, office is in Westwinds in Myrtle Beach). He indicated points could still be used in Tier One properties.

He explained that the Tier System is based on the RCI System. The Wyndham verision is as follows:

International interest resorts Tier 1
National interest resorts Tier 2
Local interest resorts Tier 3

I remember the first time I heard about the Tier System as explained above, however it was presented during multiple updates at multiple locations as a reason to consolodate my UDI deeds to the National Harbor so that I could have Tier 1 international trading power with RCI. I found after joining TUG that the sales pitch was a lie because I had no way of depositing points into RCI and designating them as "National Harbor" points. Whenever I made RCI deposits under the old system it was a crap shoot as to what kind of value/trading power I would get at any given time. I'm glad I did not fall for the sales pitch as it was presented to me at the time.

As it speaks to the new Wyndham/RCI portal points are points are points period.

I would not be surprised if the "new" tier level owner update presentation has little or no substance to it as it affects the average point owner if so I would expect it to be outlined in the new member directory.

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bet that the Tiers as outlined have more to do with Non Wyndham owners ability to trade into the various Tiers on RCI... As in International property trading equally with international property etc...

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I bet that the Tiers as outlined have more to do with Non Wyndham owners ability to trade into the various Tiers on RCI... As in International property trading equally with international property etc...

Thank you, I was beginning to think I was imagining things as it related to the Tier 1 Sales Pitches I have been through. If anyone else has sat through presentions that involved Tier 1 sales pitches, I am sure it would be of interest.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Am at Willamsburg Virgina this weekend. The sales staff confirms the tier system exists. They say the Hotel and Resort Groups have merged. The only Resort that has been given Tier 1 status under the consolidated listing of the two groups is National Harbor. He declined to give me a copy of the Resort Rankings.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am at Willamsburg Virgina this weekend. The sales staff confirms the tier system exists. They say the Hotel and Resort Groups have merged. The only Resort that has been given Tier 1 status under the consolidated listing of the two groups is National Harbor. He declined to give me a copy of the Resort Rankings.

I suspect that the sales staff are creatively blending legitimate terminology from the Wyndham Rewards program (Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4 hotels) with their timeshare two-step sales mumbo jumbo. It has been our experience that most of the "information" presented in the sales presentations often derives from a kernel of truth in a pile of b.s...the kernel often having no relationship to the way it is being presented or represented.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
That is what I am being to suspect, they apparently mix and match features from various programs etc. That is what am actually reviewing to night on varous contracts with Wyndham Vacation Resorts.

timeos2

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the sales staff are creatively blending legitimate terminology from the Wyndham Rewards program (Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 and Tier 4 hotels) with their timeshare two-step sales mumbo jumbo. It has been our experience that most of the "information" presented in the sales presentations often derives from a kernel of truth in a pile of b.s...the kernel often having no relationship to the way it is being presented or represented.

You learned well. There is enough easily confused pieces of fact stirred into an undecipherable steaming pile that the confused buyer has no idea what is actually being sold. It is by design.

It's easy to buy low cost, resal points that will in fact hold the rights to get you virtually anywhere. Why mess around with these convoluted and non-guaranteed plans to get what can easily be done with points? Like any developer purchase it is a waste of time & bigger waste of money to deal with them. They are taking a hefty cut of whatever you pay for their own pocket - you get zero value for it - so why would you do it? They are super slick so best to avoid it entirely so they can't confuse you into a sale you'll regret.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
... They are super slick so best to avoid it entirely so they can't confuse you into a sale you'll regret.

Has been my plan for awhile now. The "hangtag" girls are hired and rewarded for their penatration numbers (getting guests to the owners update) and that is the correct Wyndham term. I know these employees by name after years of going to the same resorts - and they will wimper, plead, and beg even to a female.

My line to them is, you KNOW me, know I won't go, just figure out how to give me to the newbie instead of you being stuck with me on your list. You know better and you are smarter than the newbie ... make it their problem - boss can dock them for missing penatration.:)

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Read over my recent disclosure regarding a package deal on the Towers on the Grove. The disclosure statement on the Wyndham Plus program states that I can rent or borrow points equal to what I own. I called reservations and they confrmed that I can borrow those kinds of points but only 90 days and less. I cannot rent points over 90 days except to finish off a reservation that uses the last of my points for a use year. I asked could I rent points even is I have more than enought points to cover the reservation. He said yes, if it 90 days or less. He said the points are 10 dollars per tousand unless they are rented through the on line system, then they are 8 dollars per thousand.

joel

Reaction score
I remember the first time I heard about the Tier System as explained above, however it was presented during multiple updates at multiple locations as a reason to consolodate my UDI deeds to the National Harbor so that I could have Tier 1 international trading power with RCI. I found after joining TUG that the sales pitch was a lie because I had no way of depositing points into RCI and designating them as "National Harbor" points. Whenever I made RCI deposits under the old system it was a crap shoot as to what kind of value/trading power I would get at any given time. I'm glad I did not fall for the sales pitch as it was presented to me at the time.

As it speaks to the new Wyndham/RCI portal points are points are points period.

I would not be surprised if the "new" tier level owner update presentation has little or no substance to it as it affects the average point owner if so I would expect it to be outlined in the new member directory.
Kinda of funny, but you dingbat resale Koolaid drinkers are soo paranoid about anything Wyndham sales people say. Yes there are tiers, and the system started Nov 15, 2010. It covers both Wyndham and RCI, but is mainly RCI. Basically it's for people who actually paid big bucks for their timeshare. Not too many cheap resales or Hawaii or Fiji out there. But basically these types of timeshares have the highest power rating 60-50, or Tier 1 and it goes down from their. The truth is over 65% of the resorts in RCI have less than a 20 power rating. So no easy trades anymore with that cheap resale stuff.

Good luck getting a Hawaii or international week with an 11 power rating, just not going to happen anymore. Also CWA has a much better power rating when trading into RCI than an average single UDI resort.

See USA Today article link below

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2010-11-29-timeshare29_ST_N.htm

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kinda of funny, but you dingbat resale Koolaid drinkers are soo paranoid about anything Wyndham sales people say. Yes there are tiers, and the system started Nov 15, 2010. It covers both Wyndham and RCI, but is mainly RCI. Basically it's for people who actually paid big bucks for their timeshare. Not too many cheap resales or Hawaii or Fiji out there. But basically these types of timeshares have the highest power rating 60-50, or Tier 1 and it goes down from their. The truth is over 65% of the resorts in RCI have less than a 20 power rating. So no easy trades anymore with that cheap resale stuff.

Good luck getting a Hawaii or international week with an 11 power rating, just not going to happen anymore. Also CWA has a much better power rating when trading into RCI than an average single UDI resort.

See USA Today article link below

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2010-11-29-timeshare29_ST_N.htm

Dingbat resale Koolaid drinkers??? Anyone care to guess what Joel does for a living?

First of all, there are indeed numerous top resorts available resale, including Hawaii. Suggesting otherwise shows either ignorance or a desire to deceive.

Second, the business about CWA vs. UDI trading power is HOGWASH!!! Whenever a Wyndham sales person talks about the trading power of a particular Wyndham resort, their lips are just moving. The reality is that Wyndham points deposited in RCI are just Wyndham points deposited in RCI. In fact, they specifically disallow Wyndham owners from depositing a specific week or resort with RCI. The exchange chart for the new portal has removed the glass ceiling for trading power by increasing the point levels so dramatically. It would be nice if they had a way to "trade down" for fewer points, but lack of trading power to pull something has ceased to be an issue through the new portal and exchange chart.

Yes, the older deposits that haven't yet expired do have limited trading power, ranging from about 8 to 18 TPU's depending on size and season. But any new point deposits made going forward will not have any problems with trading power.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Dingbat resale Koolaid drinkers??? Anyone care to guess what Joel does for a living? ...
:

If Joel is a salesperson, he would be a great assest to the disscussion if he continues to participate. It was an interesting Article that he shared. Joel, do you know what the Tier 1 Resorts are currently?

Last edited by a moderator:

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dingbat resale Koolaid drinkers??? Anyone care to guess what Joel does for a living? ...
:

If Joel is a salesperson, he would be a great assest to the disscussion if he continues to participate. It was an interesting Article that he shared. Joel, do you know what the Tier 1 Resorts are currently?
Longwell,

There is no news in that article. All that information is well-established at this point. The raising of the talk of the Tier properties to you during a sales presentation and Joel's raising it here are just part of the smoke-and-mirrors sales mumbo jumbo.

Smoke and mirrors and misrepresentation are not really much of an asset to discussion, in my opinion. That doesn't mean that no one who works in sales has anything to contribute, but the nature and content of Joel's post, in this case, render his words as malarkey to me.

By continuing to raise the talk of "Tier 1 resorts" which, in the context of Wyndham owners exchanging through RCI is a moot point, you are perpetuating this sales propaganda. You said yourself in an earlier post in this thread that Wyndham Corporate has no knowledge of the "Tier" system:

"The outcome is that the Coorporate Direct System is not aware of the Tier System. The Regional Offices in Myrtle Beach just confirmed the Tier System is in effect for Myrtle Beach, Washington D.C. Las Vegas and Orlando (Damon, office is in Westwinds in Myrtle Beach). He indicated points could still be used in Tier One properties."

The fact that someone in a regional SALES office (a region where you were given the "Tier" spiel) "confirms" it does not mean anything. This is sales spin and nothing more. And people fall for it because they believe it and get scared.

Have you gone into the RCI inventory through the new portal and searched? If it's there, you can book it with your Wyndham points per the new chart. No muss. No fuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

rrlongwell

Reaction score

Longwell,

There is no news in that article. All that information is well-established at this point. The raising of the talk of the Tier properties to you during a sales presentation and Joel's raising it here are just part of the smoke-and-mirrors sales mumbo jumbo.

Smoke and mirrors and misrepresentation are not really much of an asset to discussion, in my opinion. That doesn't mean that no one who works in sales has anything to contribute, but the nature and content of Joel's post, in this case, render his words as malarkey to me.

By continuing to raise the talk of "Tier 1 resorts" which, in the context of Wyndham owners exchanging through RCI is a moot point, you are perpetuating this sales propaganda. You said yourself in an earlier post in this thread that Wyndham Corporate has no knowledge of the "Tier" system:

The outcome is that the Coorporate Direct System is not aware of the Tier System. The Regional Offices in Myrtle Beach just confirmed the Tier System is in effect for Myrtle Beach, Washington D.C. Las Vegas and Orlando (Damon, office is in Westwinds in Myrtle Beach). He indicated points could still be used in Tier One properties.

The fact that someone in a regional SALES office (a region where you were given the "Tier" spiel) "confirms" it does not mean anything. This is sales spin and nothing more. And people fall for it because they believe it and get scared.

Have you gone into the RCI inventory through the new portal and searched? If it's there, you can book it with your Wyndham points per the new chart. No muss. No fuss.

You have badly misunderstood my intent and interest. Thanks to all that have contributed on this issue. It is not just "smoke and mirrors and misrepresentation" representation as it relates to me. There are many changes going on within the Wyndham family of companies and the negative consequences extend beyond just the sales pitch and marketing activities. Again thanks to all that contributed on this issue.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have badly misunderstood my intent and interest. Thanks to all that have contributed on this issue. It is not just "smoke and mirrors and misrepresentation" representation as it relates to me. There are many changes going on within the Wyndham family of companies and the negative consequences extend beyond just the sales pitch and marketing activities. Again thanks to all that contributed on this issue.

Hi Longwell,

For whatever it's worth, I don't ascribe any bad intentions to your questions or posts. Actually, it just seems to me that you are rather desperately seeking information and clarification. So for your own sake, as well as the sake of others who may be in the same position and read these posts, I am just trying to caution you about the position it then places you in if you choose to rely on information you receive from commissioned sales staff in a tight economy. But they actually bank on you doing just that.

So I hope you continue to ask questions. But I encourage you to heed wisdom when it is put before you. Several people before me tried to tell you that the talk of the Tiers System - at least as it was intimated to you - was slick sales talk and nothing more.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you start receiving PM's from Joel. Heck, he might even offer to become your "personal representative" and help you straighten out whatever issues you are having with your account. ;) Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Longwell,

For whatever it's worth, I don't ascribe any bad intentions to your questions or posts. Actually, it just seems to me that you are rather desperately seeking information and clarification. So for your own sake, as well as the sake of others who may be in the same position and read these posts, I am just trying to caution you about the position it then places you in if you choose to rely on information you receive from commissioned sales staff in a tight economy. But they actually bank on you doing just that.

So I hope you continue to ask questions. But I encourage you to heed wisdom when it is put before you. Several people before me tried to tell you that the talk of the Tiers System - at least as it was intimated to you - was slick sales talk and nothing more.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you start receiving PM's from Joel. Heck, he might even offer to become your "personal representative" and help you straighten out whatever issues you are having with your account. ;) Buyer beware.

Thank you Learnalot, I appreciate the way you responded to the pot shot and twisted insight presented by "Joel" and the quality follow-up to additional reactions.

Though I was reluctant to even begin to dignify Joel's posting the only thing I can think to add to the response to Joel is on a personal note in that I am actually not a ding bat,Koolaid drinker or resale owner as he/she indicated. “Hurt people”, hurt people and “Free people”, free people.
I further need to make very clear and free observing Wyndom point owners resale or not that you may use your current points to get into any Wyndham or RCI resort you have the points to get into outside of perhaps certain Presidential Reserve Units and ARP units outside of your home resorts privileges.

If anyone can show me a current official Wyndham document that says based on "Tier Levels" outside of Presidential Reserve or ARP that I cannot see or book a reservation internally on the Wyndham or new RCI portal please share it.

I hate to see people who have an exceptionally good ownership program go through needless stress and discouragement and hope that the "Tier Levels" spin has been or soon will be put in its proper perspective as it speaks to the current internal Wyndham and current Wyndham/RCI portal.

learnalot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you Learnalot, I appreciate the way you responded to the pot shot and twisted insight presented by "Joel" and the quality follow-up to additional reactions.

Though I was reluctant to even begin to dignify Joel's posting the only thing I can think to add to the response to Joel is on a personal note in that I am actually not a ding bat,Koolaid drinker or resale owner as he/she indicated. “Hurt people”, hurt people and “Free people”, free people.
I further need to make very clear and free observing Wyndom point owners resale or not that you may use your current points to get into any Wyndham or RCI resort you have the points to get into outside of perhaps certain Presidential Reserve Units and ARP units outside of your home resorts privileges.

If anyone can show me a current official Wyndham document that says based on "Tier Levels" outside of Presidential Reserve or ARP that I cannot see or book a reservation internally on the Wyndham or new RCI portal please share it.

I hate to see people who have an exceptionally good ownership program go through needless stress and discouragement and hope that the "Tier Levels" spin has been or soon will be put in its proper perspective as it speaks to the current internal Wyndham and current Wyndham/RCI portal.

Thanks, Ira. I had exactly the same reactions and hopes you have described.