• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Club member education workshop

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Anyone else receive an email to register for a local Club Member Education Workshop? This one is in Philly on October 7th (at a Hilton hotel). Says it is not a sales presentation. Chance to win prizes too.

I have never received this kind of solicitation before. Is this something new?

bdj604

TUG Member
Reaction score
I happened to be at my home resort of Tuscany Village when they held the annual owners/board meeting in April. I had never been to one before and it was quite interesting to get info about not only plans for the resort but HGVC in general. A representative from HGVC corporate talked about this initiative to do owner updates across the US. I really think these are truly an attempt to share information and foster more owner involvement and hopefully loyalty and satisfaction and not a sales pitch couched as an "update" like we get calls for when visiting the resorts. I think they did one last year and plan to do a couple this year. They did mention Philly as one location.

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did receive the email for the seminar in Philadelphia. I have been an owner since 1994 and have never received any information about a seminar in the past. We signed up to attend since it is a short drive from home and am curious as to what HGVC will say about the program.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us know, I hope it's truly an education one, as I find it ironic that I see negative posts on FB about how "difficult" it is to use HGVC and whatnot and I have to wonder how well these people know and understand the workings.

Is everything perfect? No, but I think it's a pretty good timeshare program--especially for how they treat resale (compared to Marriott).

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Let us know, I hope it's truly an education one, as I find it ironic that I see negative posts on FB about how "difficult" it is to use HGVC and whatnot and I have to wonder how well these people know and understand the workings.

Is everything perfect? No, but I think it's a pretty good timeshare program--especially for how they treat resale (compared to Marriott).

I think a lot of people expect a timeshare to be like a hotel, and are thinking they just book whatever they want in the next few weeks or month.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I think a lot of people expect a timeshare to be like a hotel, and are thinking they just book whatever they want in the next few weeks or month.

I agree with your statement. At least that was my initial experience. I remember soon after purchasing my first timeshare, I tried to book Valdoro in Breckenridge, CO a few months before a family trip the first summer. Of course, it wasn't available. I learned quickly to book at the 9-month mark. It is much easier to cancel the reservation later than not to have one.

I would say (IMO anyway), the second biggest problem is to have a small contract (or really points and way too high MFs) where you don't have enough options to book someplace/something worthwhile.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else receive an email to register for a local Club Member Education Workshop? This one is in Philly on October 7th (at a Hilton hotel). Says it is not a sales presentation. Chance to win prizes too.

I have never received this kind of solicitation before. Is this something new?
I got it. Will probably attend the AM session.

pinetree1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could anyone let me know how to register for the workshop? We are in Philadelphia area. Thanks.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From "Club Member Education Workshop Series Continues U.S. Tour"
http://clubtraveler.hgvclub.com/you...lubtraveler&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hgv

Where to Attend an Upcoming Member Education Workshop?
Interested in attending a future education event? Check out these upcoming workshops:
  • October 7 – Penn’s Landing, Philadelphia
  • November 11 – Fort Lauderdale
Sign Up Today: Email HGVeducationworkshop@hgvc.com to secure your spot in one of the upcoming education workshops.

Participant Questions from Member Education Event - San Diego, CA 6/17/2017
https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/help/faq/San-Diego-2017-Member-Education

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our first timeshare exchange we booked 2 months out for Maui and got it. It was a pretty small nad dark unit 1 bedroom unit. There was no kitchen/dinning room table. The bedroom faced a brick wall (although it was covered with tropical flowers). We thought the place was awesome. Why? We had only stayed at inexpensive hotels and in comparison this place was spacious and relaxing. We still have very fond memories but we laugh about it now.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Anyone here in Philly today for the membership workshop? I'm in the afternoon session.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anyone here in Philly today for the membership workshop? I'm in the afternoon session.

How was the session? I am curious is were truly "educational" as advertised or more of sales presentation in disguise...

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
This meeting was truly to help educate the owners, no sales going on. It was a great turnout - at least 50 people I would say. Everyone had a nametag that indicated how long they were a member and also if they were an Elite member. There were many "newbies" as I heard in speaking with a few people that one table didn't even have a single person who had a chance to use their points yet. One person I spoke to just purchased within the last couple of weeks in Las Vegas. I also saw a handful of Elite.

Before the official presentation there were tables set-up to help answer questions. The tables included experts about Elite (maybe the closest thing to "sales"), RCI, West 57th (since their point usage is slightly different) and Club Traveler magazine. The meeting itself covered the basics - What you own, usage of points, saving and borrowing, making reservations, and navigating the website. They were also promoting the app (we were instructed to download the app beforehand).

There was a Q&A session. One question was about future expansion. They were tight lipped because as they put it, they didn't want people to get hyped up when they couldn't even book anything. Although the speaker wouldn't say specifically where we might see some new resorts she mentioned members are always asking about European destinations as well as urban, such as Chicago and San Francisco. On each table was a phone number which they encouraged anyone to text in a question at anytime. I did text a question and had a response within seconds. That was a nice touch.

We also had a number of raffles. The two biggest were 5,000 HGVC bonus points and an RCI 7 day vacation. My ticket number wasn't even close. We ended it with a reception (hors d'oeuvres and an open bar).

We each received an HGVC Membership Workshop binder. Attached are a couple of pictures.

I did come away with something I didn't know beforehand. I have a fixed week so I show zero points available for 2018 and 2019. I was not aware that I could set up an ongoing RCI search even though I had no points. Of course, I would have to pay the exchange fee and if a match was obtained I would need to swap my fixed week for points.

Hope this helps.

hgvc 22.jpg
HGVC 11.jpg

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for sharing your experience :thumbup:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a good program. If they ever do one these in the Bay Area, i will probably try to attend.

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I agree with your statement. At least that was my initial experience. I remember soon after purchasing my first timeshare, I tried to book Valdoro in Breckenridge, CO a few months before a family trip the first summer. Of course, it wasn't available. I learned quickly to book at the 9-month mark. It is much easier to cancel the reservation later than not to have one.

I would say (IMO anyway), the second biggest problem is to have a small contract (or really points and way too high MFs) where you don't have enough options to book someplace/something worthwhile.

Booking at the 9 month mark isn’t always the best time to book Valdoro (Though I suppose whenever one finds the room is the “best” time). Fixed weeks were sold there, requiring me and other owners to “give up” our week before it appears for other members to book. When I give mine up, if I do, it is never 9 months out.

If you want Valdoro over Christmas break, for instance, I was able to score that checking HGVC in the mornings for a few weeks straight. I finally got 5 days on July 26, almost exactly 5 months out.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I had no idea that was happening.

La Jolla is not far from home. I would have attended.

Reaction score
This meeting was truly to help educate the owners, no sales going on. It was a great turnout - at least 50 people I would say. Everyone had a nametag that indicated how long they were a member and also if they were an Elite member. There were many "newbies" as I heard in speaking with a few people that one table didn't even have a single person who had a chance to use their points yet. One person I spoke to just purchased within the last couple of weeks in Las Vegas. I also saw a handful of Elite.

How long was the workshop?

I may attend one in the future and am trying to plan it now.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
How long was the workshop?

I may attend one in the future and am trying to plan it now.

I was in the afternoon session. The total workshop, which included the tables with experts which you could visit to ask questions , the PowerPoint presentation and panel discussion, was from 2:00 pm to about 5:00 pm. There was a reception following the workshop.

Bxian

TUG Member
Reaction score
Weird that they invited some members and not others. We live in the Philadelphia area and did not get an invite.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Weird that they invited some members and not others. We live in the Philadelphia area and did not get an invite.

Apparently, the sorting hat decided that you did not need an education.

images

Reaction score
Saturday, November 11, 2017
Specialized Knowledge Center | 3:00 p.m.
Workshop | 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Reception to follow

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned