• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Closest timeshare to San Diego wild animal park?

bdurstta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Big Bear, Hyatt Vacation Club (Hyatt Highlands), Marriott (Grand Chateau)
What is the closest timeshare to San Diego Wild Animal Park? or even to the San Diego zoo? Must have a great kids pool! LOL

Thanks of the input!

Barbara

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I haven't been to any of the timeshares, but the closest would be the Welk resorts in Escondido. I seem to remember one of them having a nice pool area for kids but I have no idea which phase it is in. Are you looking to exchange into this and if so, what exchange company will you be using. I believe that Welk has moved their exchange inventory to RCI, although I believe that owners can still deposit their owned weeks to II.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
San Diego Country Estates (Ramona, CA) would be a good choice for location. I have no idea about their pool/s. Diamond has been buying many of these units from the tax auctions. I don't recall which timeshare 'brands' originated this space. I think there may be multiple brands offering units here??

Definitely Welk for pools!

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
San Diego Country Estates (Ramona, CA) would be a good choice for location. I have no idea about their pool/s. Diamond has been buying many of these units from the tax auctions. I don't recall which timeshare 'brands' originated this space. I think there may be multiple brands offering units here??

Definitely Welk for pools!

The one thing I would warn about staying in Ramona is that the roads are very curvy and steep going up and down the mountain. For those of us that live here, it's no big deal. But, if you're a flatlander it might be intimidating.

Welk is the way to go.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Arriving from the north, you drive right by the SDWAP on the way to the Diamond Resort in Ramona. We thought we'd visit the park, but are old fogies with sticker shock when it comes to any of California's attractions. Over $100 each at that park, so we passed since we'd been there 30 years ago!

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I'd suggest Welk Escondido over Ramona because it is very close to I-15: shopping, dining, drive to the beach, drive into SD, etc. Also, for going to the Wild Animal Park/Safari Park, check on-line for specials. There is a Go-San Diego card as well as a couple others. In fact, if you research it, you may find special cards at Costco.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at Marbrisa about six months ago and loved it. Big pools and great for kids. Also, right next to LEGO land. The drive to Wild Animal Park is about 30 minutes or about the same for Welks Resort. See reviews on Tug for more info. It is also close to Costco, an Outlet Mall, the ocean and overall has a lot more to do.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Grand Pacific Palisades has a great kids pool, a kids game room and daily activities.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own and love our Welk Villa (the older section) very relaxing on the golf course. Easy drive to the Wildlife Park. Every so often on Groupon they show discounted tickets for both the Zoo and the Wildlife Park. We are older but feel as if the newer Welk units at Escondido remind us of a dorm or prison.
The Villas feel huge and comfortable.
Bart

jnsrusty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Marbrisa
Welk might be a little closer, but I would recommend staying at MarBrisa or Grand Pacific Palisades. They are both about 25-30 minutes from the Wild Animal Park, but they are close to everything else. Welk's location is much more secluded and removed from dining, stores, beach, etc. Both MarBrisa and GPP have tons of free activities for the kids. While MarBrisa doesn't have a designated kid's pool, my kids love their Super Pool and all the activities around the pool (shuffleboard, pool, connect 4, and ping pong). GPP has a kid's pool and a great kid's water play area with water spouts and a small water slide. My kids loved it when they were 5 and under. Both resorts are right next to a huge, upscale outlet mall and are about 3 minutes (by car) from Carlsbad Beach. If your kids are interested, Legoland is adjacent to MarBrisa. In fact, MarBrisa has their own entrance to the park, which is very convenient. GPP is just on the other side of Legoland as well. My family and I have always enjoyed our stays at both resorts.