TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas in Hawaii

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by Pamplemousse, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Pamplemousse

Pamplemousse TUG Member

For those of you who have been to The Hawaiian Islands at Christmas- do you have a favorite island? Favorite things to do that time of year?

2. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

I don't think the activities change much for the Holidays, because on the Avg., winter is only 6 degrees cooler than summer. So you can still do all the outside activities. I know some families that say the trip and activities are everyone's Christmas present and don't take presents. Probably depends on the age of the kids.

Which island you prefer really isn't related to Christmas - most people usually prefer one or two specific islands, because every island has its one distinct personality.

Be aware that airfare is sky high at that time of year, and it's crowded - this is a very popular holiday destination and all the kids are out of school.

slip and silentg like this.
  3. Pamplemousse

Pamplemousse TUG Member

Thank you Denise.
    I guess I was wondering if there was anything special for Christmas that someone might know about- sometimes gardens put on special light shows or there are special performances or maybe a particular resort has something special going on.
    We’ve been everyplace but Maui, but in summer.

4. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

The Iolani Palace, the Palace of the Hawaii Monarchy, in Downtown Honolulu is lite up for Christmas. Waikiki is so overly lite up all the time that while there are trees and other decorations it is hard to notice. The are New Years Eve Fireworks over the Ocean in the center of Waikiki.

silentg likes this.
  5. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    Individual fireworks are really big for the locals at New Year's eve. Can burn up a lot of money pretty fast, but fun and noisy :)
    As Denise mentions, airfare is sky-high. I flew back a few years ago to visit my mother after Christmas.
    I did get the airfare kind of "last minute" (2 months in advance) and the cheapest RT flights to/from West Coast was low $900s pp.
    and that was flying a red-eye return on New Year's eve. Flight was packed too!

6. Pamplemousse

Pamplemousse TUG Member

Thanks.
    For anyone watching this thread- I was able to find some great info on TripAdvisor- have a look there.

7. jacknsara

jacknsara TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
    Aloha,
    For several years up until very recently, we stayed at Kauai Beach Villas & Shearwater where we own over both Christmas and New Years on into middle or late January.
    Occupancy rates at hotels, rental condos and timeshares is very high. Get your car reservation early since they may run out and expect to pay more (we didn't have to pay more due to employee/retiree benefit of getting corporate rate). Expect chronic traffic congestion and parking challenges near popular beaches. Your lodging's pool, hot tub and barbeque grills are likely to be used more around those holidays than a week later in January.
    I realize this doesn't answer your question, but any time is a good time to be in Hawaii. Different folks like to do different things. If you know what you want to do and those things require reservations, just be sure to make the critical reservations well before you depart from home.
    Jack

vacationtime1, klpca and Tamaradarann like this.
  8. Tamaradarann

Tamaradarann TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but any time is a good time to be in Hawaii. Different folks like to do different things. If you know what you want to do and those things require reservations, just be sure to make the critical reservations well before you depart from home.
    Jack

I like this thought about Hawaii. Anytime is good so we don't go when it is good in Hawaii, we go when we want to be away from Long Island which is the cold winter. We have friends that just moved to Phoenix who would go in the winter when they lived in Virginia. Now they are going to go in the summer since the 100-120 degree summer temperatures in Phoenix are not desirable, and the 60-70 degree temperatures in the winter are not so bad.

9. Ralph Sir Edward

Ralph Sir Edward TUG Member

I agree with Tamaradarann. When I was on the Big Island during Christmas/New Year's in 1999/2000, Christmas seemed to be very "ho hum", New Year's was a lot of fireworks. But I like to go back when the weather is too cold back home. Usually in January, because there is so much more competition for reservations in February. (March here is gardening season. . . )

10. Pamplemousse

Pamplemousse TUG Member

Thank you both for your comments.
    We have been to Hawaii before (all islands except Maui).
    So this wouldn’t be our once in a lifetime Hawaiian trip.

The last 2 weeks of December are the only ones our family can travel together and we have been going away then over the past few years and doing Christmas that way.

I was just looking for recommendation for anything special that might be going on at that time.

11. sun starved Gayle

sun starved Gayle TUG Member

We were on the Big Island for two weeks at Christmas 12 years ago with our two then teen-aged daughters and loved it. Part of my family attended a beautiful outdoor service at a small historic church right on the ocean near Kona on Christmas Eve. I'm sorry but I can't think of the name. Very memorable. Another memorable event was spending most of Christmas Eve day in the emergency room after my daughter was bit by an eel while snorkeling near Two Step. That is the reason only part of the family was at the church service.