• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Christmas in Hawaii

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have been to The Hawaiian Islands at Christmas- do you have a favorite island? Favorite things to do that time of year?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't think the activities change much for the Holidays, because on the Avg., winter is only 6 degrees cooler than summer. So you can still do all the outside activities. I know some families that say the trip and activities are everyone's Christmas present and don't take presents. Probably depends on the age of the kids.

Which island you prefer really isn't related to Christmas - most people usually prefer one or two specific islands, because every island has its one distinct personality.

Be aware that airfare is sky high at that time of year, and it's crowded - this is a very popular holiday destination and all the kids are out of school.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think the activities change much for the Holidays, because on the Avg., winter is only 6 degrees cooler than summer. So you can still do all the outside activities. I know some families that say the trip and activities are everyone's Christmas present and don't take presents. Probably depends on the age of the kids.

Which island you prefer really isn't related to Christmas - most people usually prefer one or two specific islands, because every island has its one distinct personality.

Be aware that airfare is sky high at that time of year, and it's crowded - this is a very popular holiday destination and all the kids are out of school.

Thank you Denise.
I guess I was wondering if there was anything special for Christmas that someone might know about- sometimes gardens put on special light shows or there are special performances or maybe a particular resort has something special going on.
We’ve been everyplace but Maui, but in summer.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Thank you Denise.
I guess I was wondering if there was anything special for Christmas that someone might know about- sometimes gardens put on special light shows or there are special performances or maybe a particular resort has something special going on.
We’ve been everyplace but Maui, but in summer.

The Iolani Palace, the Palace of the Hawaii Monarchy, in Downtown Honolulu is lite up for Christmas. Waikiki is so overly lite up all the time that while there are trees and other decorations it is hard to notice. The are New Years Eve Fireworks over the Ocean in the center of Waikiki.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Individual fireworks are really big for the locals at New Year's eve. Can burn up a lot of money pretty fast, but fun and noisy :)
As Denise mentions, airfare is sky-high. I flew back a few years ago to visit my mother after Christmas.
I did get the airfare kind of "last minute" (2 months in advance) and the cheapest RT flights to/from West Coast was low $900s pp.
and that was flying a red-eye return on New Year's eve. Flight was packed too!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Iolani Palace, the Palace of the Hawaii Monarchy, in Downtown Honolulu is lite up for Christmas. Waikiki is so overly lite up all the time that while there are trees and other decorations it is hard to notice. The are New Years Eve Fireworks over the Ocean in the center of Waikiki.

Thanks.
For anyone watching this thread- I was able to find some great info on TripAdvisor- have a look there.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
For several years up until very recently, we stayed at Kauai Beach Villas & Shearwater where we own over both Christmas and New Years on into middle or late January.
Occupancy rates at hotels, rental condos and timeshares is very high. Get your car reservation early since they may run out and expect to pay more (we didn't have to pay more due to employee/retiree benefit of getting corporate rate). Expect chronic traffic congestion and parking challenges near popular beaches. Your lodging's pool, hot tub and barbeque grills are likely to be used more around those holidays than a week later in January.
I realize this doesn't answer your question, but any time is a good time to be in Hawaii. Different folks like to do different things. If you know what you want to do and those things require reservations, just be sure to make the critical reservations well before you depart from home.
Jack

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I realize this doesn't answer your question, but any time is a good time to be in Hawaii. Different folks like to do different things. If you know what you want to do and those things require reservations, just be sure to make the critical reservations well before you depart from home.
Jack

I like this thought about Hawaii. Anytime is good so we don't go when it is good in Hawaii, we go when we want to be away from Long Island which is the cold winter. We have friends that just moved to Phoenix who would go in the winter when they lived in Virginia. Now they are going to go in the summer since the 100-120 degree summer temperatures in Phoenix are not desirable, and the 60-70 degree temperatures in the winter are not so bad.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tamaradarann. When I was on the Big Island during Christmas/New Year's in 1999/2000, Christmas seemed to be very "ho hum", New Year's was a lot of fireworks. But I like to go back when the weather is too cold back home. Usually in January, because there is so much more competition for reservations in February. (March here is gardening season. . . )

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your comments.
We have been to Hawaii before (all islands except Maui).
So this wouldn’t be our once in a lifetime Hawaiian trip.

The last 2 weeks of December are the only ones our family can travel together and we have been going away then over the past few years and doing Christmas that way.

I was just looking for recommendation for anything special that might be going on at that time.

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were on the Big Island for two weeks at Christmas 12 years ago with our two then teen-aged daughters and loved it. Part of my family attended a beautiful outdoor service at a small historic church right on the ocean near Kona on Christmas Eve. I'm sorry but I can't think of the name. Very memorable. Another memorable event was spending most of Christmas Eve day in the emergency room after my daughter was bit by an eel while snorkeling near Two Step. That is the reason only part of the family was at the church service.