• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Christmas gifts - what OTHERS think I need

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Now that we are home and have put our gifts away we realized our son probably spent more on us in total than we spent on him and we feel bad about it. Since I am not working- and since he has a birthday coming up in February, I cut back on the cash gift. He loved the gift card for the restaurant we got him because it is a favorite of his (and his girlfriends) and is right in town. I did tell him that if he decided to get a new mattress to let us know and we will help him out. He is using 2 twin beds together that he bought for $40 years ago from a curbside as his bed. A mattress is something he has to shop for himself.

I didn't buy him any gifts to "open" because I just don't know what to get him and last year I had to return a gift I bought him and give him the cash anyway. When he needs/wants something for the most part he buys it. Like he just bought himself a new cell phone (an Android phone I never heard of that works with Straight Talk) because his other phone was having issues.

The thing is that he does not make a lot of money- he is working 6-7 days per week- and he more and more does not like his full-time job-he is bored and he says he hates -and I just feel bummed that he spent so much money on us.

At 31 he is still not settled and we are getting older and will have our own struggles to deal with soon. I am hoping he will muster up the will and energy needed to look for a new job- he did do to lose the 113 lbs he was carrying ( we still can't believe it)- and he did so to work another 1-2 part-time jobs (again- we could never have imagined it) in addition to his full time one. Thing is- he loves the part-time job he has at the brewery- low pay- good tips- but no health insurance of course and not a steady, career type of job for the long term. When we were up in NH on Sunday he worked a double shift at the brewery. Anyway- sorry to ramble and sway off topic a bit.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
My hubby also has a $10 per month flip phone. He barely keeps it on. I have an inexpensive IPhone with a Straight Talk Plan.

Sometimes hubby days he might want a smart phone. I tell him one smart phone in the household is enough. If he needs to, he could use mine.
I would like to get one of those, where did you get it?(the $10 a month flip phone)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would like to get one of those, where did you get it?(the $10 a month flip phone)

Pure Talk. He has had it for years. The phone was like $9.99 or maybe even free from what I recall. But we do pay $10 per month for the service and it works most everywhere.

I am not sure that they still offer them. He was kind of grandfathered in after they made some changes and I called and complained.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My daughter sent us Tiles. You connect to keys, wallet, purse, etc and when you can’t find it, you ring the app on your phone. This should be a big help as we spend an inordinate amount of time looking for my husband’s keys and wallet.
My son sent us an echo dot. My husband is fascinated with it, but I don’t know if he will actually use it. Now when he asks me, I will ask Alexa. You can also play the Jeopardy app and get a sixth question in every category.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The only ones that get gifts in our family are the little kids. Some how our family still enjoys gathering for Christmas. For this holiday, every one gets along and all bad feelings and drama are left elsewhere. We had about 40 - 50 people running around here on Christmas Eve. One of our friends dressed up as Santa. The little kids love this.

We do "white elephant" for adult gifts.

The grandkids do think I need things. This year they brought me a fleece blanket because I get cold, some dark chocolate acai berry that I like and they wrote me a newspaper with articles including one on where they really like to go.

Bill

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My daughter sent us Tiles. You connect to keys, wallet, purse, etc and when you can’t find it, you ring the app on your phone. This should be a big help as we spend an inordinate amount of time looking for my husband’s keys and wallet.
My son sent us an echo dot. My husband is fascinated with it, but I don’t know if he will actually use it. Now when he asks me, I will ask Alexa. You can also play the Jeopardy app and get a sixth question in every category.

How does that work? Is there a little "homing device" stuck to each it item you don't want to lose so an App can find it?? Cliff can set down two sun glasses cases before we finally leave the house with the third. We find them everywhere he's been AFTER we come back home.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
DW and I told our kids that we are perfectly content and asked that--in lieu of gifts to us--they make a donation to one of three charities: Compassion International, The Heifer Project, or Samaritan's Purse. We had a wonderful Christmas, made even more special by getting to see our two precious grandchildren, ages 5 and 2. Fun, fun, fun.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does that work? Is there a little "homing device" stuck to each it item you don't want to lose so an App can find it?? Cliff can set down two sun glasses cases before we finally leave the house with the third. We find them everywhere he's been AFTER we come back home.
There is a little chip in the square tile. And if you lose your phone you press the tile on your keychain and it rings your phone. But the square is too big for glasses.
My husband loses glasses and sunglasses, I bought him six pairs of each.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This year my daughter-in-law gave me a necklace with two charms, each of the phase of the moon on the days my grandchildren were born. It’s typical of how thoughtful she usually is with gifts because the two grandkids are cousins, not siblings.

I love it, and she’s pretty sure that I’ll be able to add on when the third joins us late January.

Attachments

• 07B05B2F-91D5-46F3-AD1F-BBDE75FC2F4B.jpeg
    07B05B2F-91D5-46F3-AD1F-BBDE75FC2F4B.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 18

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

This year we switched from Verizon (after decades of loyalty) to Consumer Cellular. We have a better plan for less than half the price. If you don't need your phone to be-all and do-all, then you might check pricing at Consumer Cellular. They have great plans for minimal money, and they have inexpensive phones, too. And if you're an AARP member, there's an additional discount.

Dave

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Christmas at our house is pretty small. We don't put up a tree because we have a cat who would shred it. Being married to a head Refund Cashier at Costco is enough to drag the holiday cheer from anyone. Imagine the stress leading up to the holiday, where everybody is returning everything they bought all year, so they can get the cash to buy even more stuff for the holidays. And then add the additional stress of what starts the day AFTER Christmas - the unending mountain of returns that lasts for days, not only from those who bought those things, but also from those who received them. So we're buried in the middle of the biggest Costco cash exchange time of year. Exhaustion is expected, and holiday festivities are kept to a minimum. There is minimal energy for holiday shopping around the house, so a lot of it falls to me. I'm taking us to see a screening of the "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie this weekend, and if I'm lucky, I'll squeeze in a quiet dinner out at a favorite local restaurant beforehand. Small things are very meaningful this time of year.

For gifts, I usually buy things I want for myself, or for us, and then say, "Look what you got me for Christmas!" It always works, and I'm not even disappointed, because I get what I wanted. However, this year I was truly surprised - spouse actually shopped some, and I received a new Samsung tablet I'd mentioned I wanted, (why, yes, it DID come from Costco...), to use when we travel, and so I can leave my expensive laptop at home. Lighter, easier to carry, and replaceable if it gets damaged or lost. There were some other trinkets shared between us, and I didn't even buy them all. I like useful tech gadgets. (I got us a replacement home weather station, because the one we have is ten years old, and components are failing, and can't be replaced. I also got us a wireless video camera to set up in the garage, so I can tell whether the garage door was left open - nothing is more shocking than to walk out the door for work in the morning, only to find the garage door was wide open all night. I'm not so worried about crime, I'm worried about vermin moving into the warm and cozy spaces in the garage.)

Extended family got the bulk of the gifts this year - my older sister (who has nobody, so I try to spoil her a bit), my nephew and his wife, and my daughter and her family. Only eight of us close enough to celebrate together. The granddaughter got plenty this year - as an only child in a family with a wealthy, bored grandmother on her Dad's side, gifts are frequent, and expensive. I don't even try to compete. I took all eight of us to dinner last weekend. I gave gift cards to everyone. Who doesn't love Amazon?

Dave

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For me, gift giving became a bit much. I continued the tradition of regular gifts, Santa, and stockings as the family gradually expanded to in-laws and grandkids. This year there were 18 of us! I had three lists to make sure everyone was covered, and did spend less for each gift than I used to. But it was crazy.
Now the kids are deciding since they have children, they want to be at their own homes for Christmas morning (we always do Eve). Some drove home at night this year to make that happen. I totally support them making their own memories the way they choose. We will open gifts earlier next year, so they can leave at a decent hour. The church cuts 15 minutes to their drives, so we will attend a service at the end of our festivities, and then off they go! I just hope they don't decide to skip that portion of our time together, as they love the candlelight part. It is the reason for the season!
Therefore, next year I will drop Santa and stockings. They can (and do anyway) handle that at their own homes. Each person will get one gift, which I can easily handle. It is still fun for all of us to open something.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
My favorite gifts to receive are things that pertain to our future trips. A gift card to a local spa, restaurant or place to visit. Since we travel so much, I need to keep our costs down during the actual vacation and this helps do that or pay for a splurge that we wouldn't have otherwise spent the money on.

My MIL did great with this. We received Disney Gift cards for a trip in March and an gift card for a place we will be skiing next month.

I really like this idea. I always ask my kids for books so when I travel I don’t lose the library book.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I really don’t need much. I tell everyone I don’t need anything. I already have what I want and need and I don’t need something I don’t need. Donate instead.

My other half attempted to get me something he knew I had my eye on, a brandelior phone holder but didn’t realize he had to order the pouch too which he checked for today and is sold out. Oh well, probably will go back unless they will have the matching piece soon.

I sponsored a child this Christmas who wanted a piece of jewelry this year. I purchased a good piece, hoping it does get to her.

I took my step daughter out to get gifts for her friends and dad and mother. Her mom never does it but it gives me joy. I tell her my gift from her is for her to be happy and have independence and if she keeps striving for that it is my gift. My Mom gets what she asks for but then complains she doesn’t need it. Lots of gift I get for my step daughter, nieces and nephews. I do love the luxury of spoiling them.

The nicest present was being with my other half and step daughter. Memories are priceless. The best gift of all.

I would agree the best gift, is the gift of time. My oldest son for the last 10 years has been unable to spend any holidays with our side of the family. His wife insists that every holiday be spent with her side of the family. I’ve told him the greatest gift he could give me would be to spend a few hours with me on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I’m hoping one of these years I get this gift. My other kids gave me a wonderful Christmas with baked cookies and lots of books. I’m truly blessed.

Tonight I’m spending Christmas with my oldest son, DIL, and grandson. Looking forward to seeing them.

Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mpumilia, I loved my flip phone. But the Commander-in-Chief insisted I enter into the 21st Century.
She purchased me a smartphone. Now that smartphone and the Commander-in-Chief are smarter than me. Right:hi:

I have learned one thing after fifty (50) plus years. Just say “yes.”:D:wave:

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
Mpumilia, I loved my flip phone. But the Commander-in-Chief insisted I enter into the 21st Century.
She purchased me a smartphone. Now that smartphone and the Commander-in-Chief are smarter than me. Right:hi:

smartphones have smarter cameras, smarter calendars, alarms, and control other "smart" things
all is good until they become smarter than their human owners

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
This year we switched from Verizon (after decades of loyalty) to Consumer Cellular. We have a better plan for less than half the price. If you don't need your phone to be-all and do-all, then you might check pricing at Consumer Cellular. They have great plans for minimal money, and they have inexpensive phones, too. And if you're an AARP member, there's an additional discount.

Dave

Does it work in Canada, Mexico, Europe?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Does it work in Canada, Mexico, Europe?

I’d look at ConsumerCellular.com for those answers. A brief checking their website indicated it does work, but involves “International Roaming” to be activated. Not sure what that entails. You can call 888-345-5509 for more info on that.

Dave

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
DH and I bought ourselves iPhones this year (7 Plus and 8 Plus). We don't normally splurge like that but I had to get rid of mine since it wouldn't always work and we wanted to switch from Sprint. It will take me awhile to get used to some of the features but I especially like how photos and contacts automatically go to the "cloud."

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

My new iPhone still sits unopened waiting for Cliff to drag me to T-Mobile to get it set up. He backed off on the turn-the-landlines-off part of his "gift", so I guess I can be more gracious, especially since he at least listened to me about any smartphone had to be an Apple product since I figure if I can operate my iPad I can operate an iPhone. My parents went out and bought their first smartphone yesterday once Dad made it official he is no longer driving. So I suppose there will be show and tell all through his 86th birthday dinner later today.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DH and I bought ourselves iPhones this year (7 Plus and 8 Plus). We don't normally splurge like that but I had to get rid of mine since it wouldn't always work and we wanted to switch from Sprint. It will take me awhile to get used to some of the features but I especially like how photos and contacts automatically go to the "cloud."

Can I ask where you got your iPhones from ? I need to purchase 2 and even on the 7 I’m seeing a price tag of $400.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would agree the best gift, is the gift of time. My oldest son for the last 10 years has been unable to spend any holidays with our side of the family. His wife insists that every holiday be spent with her side of the family..... I’m hoping one of these years I get this gift.
Do you think after 10 years of marriage, this would happen? It is sad he doesn't feel like a 50/50 partner. Sad that people like her exist. Can you other son or relatives talk to him too?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Do you think after 10 years of marriage, this would happen? It is sad he doesn't feel like a 50/50 partner. Sad that people like her exist. Can you other son or relatives talk to him too?

We have talked to him over the years, the other kids have talked to him and I actually blame him because he has chosen this path. I get that girls are closer to their parents but I was an only child and we always split the holidays with my in laws and when we got to 3 kids we just invited everyone to our house and later my in laws did the same when they asked to host the holidays, they always included my parents and my parents always included them...

I'm at the point where I'm not going to let it effect me and every year when he asks what I want for Christmas I give him the same response, the gift of time, a few hours on either Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Thanksgiving or Easter.

He's always amazed when his siblings get invited to weddings of the cousins or family events and he never gets an invite, both sides of the family have chosen to no longer invite him.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can I ask where you got your iPhones from ? I need to purchase 2 and even on the 7 I’m seeing a price tag of $400.

I didn't get a very good deal. I went to T-Mobile. The only deal was if you bought an iPhone and an iPhone 7 (not the 7 Plus), they would discount the iPhone 7 $200 over the 24-month payment plan. The only discount was the 2 lines for $70 with T-Mobile because DH and I are over 55.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My new iPhone still sits unopened waiting for Cliff to drag me to T-Mobile to get it set up. He backed off on the turn-the-landlines-off part of his "gift", so I guess I can be more gracious, especially since he at least listened to me about any smartphone had to be an Apple product since I figure if I can operate my iPad I can operate an iPhone. My parents went out and bought their first smartphone yesterday once Dad made it official he is no longer driving. So I suppose there will be show and tell all through his 86th birthday dinner later today.

You will end up liking the IPHONE! I thought I wouldn't want a smart phone either, but at work I had one and I ended up using it more for personal stuff than for work! I feel you really need one these days. It is like when computers and the internet first came out and eventually became a necessity.

When I left work I went to Walmart and bought an IPHONE SE for $139 and it does everything my IPHONE 6SPlus did, only it is much smaller, which is nice as it is light and fits easily into a pocket. Straight Talk service is $49 per month (with tax) and works great everywhere.

We still keep our landline as well.