• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Check your existing Costco Car Rentals (Maui/Kauai Tax-Fee increase)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
In doing my usual check of Maui and Kauai Costco car rental rates - I saw that my existing rentals had increased from my original quotes. I usually reserve an IntSUV and Convertible and reserve/cancel as price goes down - like many here.

Well... in turns out that Maui and Kauai both increased their taxes/fees (again) and this increase is reflected (retroactivity) in my rental prices (ranging from $12-$28).
I spoke with Costco - and they stated since I have not paid for my rentals yet - these increases in taxes/fees by Maui and Kauai are reflected in my new prices.

WTF!!!

In addition - I rent in Maui and Kauai the same time of year (same vehicle types), and so far the prices are much higher than my previous rentals by a significant amount.
We need a car in Kauai, but in Maui we may move to using Lyft/Uber as we do not drive that much once at WKORV.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In doing my usual check of Maui and Kauai Costco car rental rates - I saw that my existing rentals had increased from my original quotes. I usually reserve an IntSUV and Convertible and reserve/cancel as price goes down - like many here.

Are the increases from the State due to sales taxes, or are they increases in fees from the rental agency? If they're State taxes, I'd expect all the islands to be similarly affected.

I like Hawaii a lot, and travel there often, but they need to be careful or they're going to kill their vacationing cash cow. One reason I no longer own timeshares in Hawaii is because it's cheaper to rent than to own.

Dave

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Are the increases from the State due to sales taxes, or are they increases in fees from the rental agency? If they're State taxes, I'd expect all the islands to be similarly affected.

I like Hawaii a lot, and travel there often, but they need to be careful or they're going to kill their vacationing cash cow. One reason I no longer own timeshares in Hawaii is because it's cheaper to rent than to own.

Dave

I have no idea if State taxes/Fees or county - all I know is my existing OGG and LIH reservations increased in price. I have confirmations that show lower prices than what is now shown.

Our solution is too spend less money while there.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have no idea if State taxes/Fees or county - all I know is my existing OGG and LIH reservations increased in price. I have confirmations that show lower prices than what is now shown.

Our solution is too spend less money while there.
I've had that happen, even in the past. My confirmation email shows one price, and when I go to the car rental website it was higher. Usually not more than a few dollars, but still. Sometimes I would show them the email confirmation and it would be honored, other times I didn't bother since the difference was so small.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've got three car rentals coming up in Hawaii, so thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll just get mad now, and hopefully be able to chill once I get there....

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
That's odd...mine went down by $30. (OGG convertible 2 weeks in May 2019)

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That's odd...mine went down by $30. (OGG convertible 2 weeks in May 2019)
Your rental rate could have gone down, even with the taxes going up.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This was for s reservation that was already booked - not for a new search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Your rental rate could have gone down, even with the taxes going up.
Correct. Sorry, I wasn't clear. The car rental rate I booked through Costco in December 2018 for May 2019 is and was $477.11. At time the taxes were $244.32; today they are showing on the reservation as $214.31.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Correct. Sorry, I wasn't clear. The car rental rate I booked through Costco in December 2018 for May 2019 is and was $477.11. At time the taxes were $244.32; today they are showing on the reservation as $214.31.
Thanks for the clarification.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I just checked our reservation for Maui in October and the rate went up. It is disappointing that Maui continues to look to visitors for more tax revenue. Just like the occupancy tax and different rate of property tax, these increases could have a negative impact on people visiting the island. Or when we go it could impact the way we spend our money while there.

We still love the islands and plan to visit, but we will continue to watch this and adjust our spending as needed.

Best regards.

Mike

luvgoldns

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista
Another reminder to keep checking your Costco car rental rates! I checked again today and my rate went down (again) but this time the difference is close to $200. Reservation through Costco; two week convertible in Maui through Alamo.

Original reservation:
Car Rental - $477.11
Taxes & Fees - $218.69
Total Rental Price - $695.80

New reservation:
Car Rental - $310.22
Taxes & Fees - $192.42
Total Rental Price - $502.64