TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Check your car rental rates

Discussion in 'US - Hawaii Timesharing' started by DaveNW, May 8, 2018.

1. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    We're heading to Hawaii soon. As always, I'm checking my car rental rates often, looking for a lower rate, hoping to score a hidden deal. Costco continues to be my go-to for that.

Just a head's up that rates are lower than they've been for awhile. The Big Island volcano activity likely has something to do with that. But today, on Costco.com I scored a Standard SUV for $200, all in, for a week over the Memorial Day holiday period. This was $15 cheaper than the lower rate I found yesterday on a smaller car. Not bad. :thumbup:

Go check your reservations. You may also find a deal you didn't know was there.

Dave

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    bbodb1 and Luanne like this.
  2. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Good reminder. Even though I have my reservations entered into AutoSlash, which is supposed to be checking for me, it never hurts to double check. Our next reservation is in Vancouver BC and that rate dropped a bit a couple of weeks ago. Trip is a little over two weeks away, hope it will drop again.

bbodb1, Icc5 and DaveNW like this.
  3. ConejoRed

ConejoRed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach, HGVC Grand Pacific MarBrisa
    Thanks for the heads up! Just redid my Costco reservation and saved about $50 on our reservation on the Big Island in June. Will keeping checking back on the rates between now and when we go in mid-June to see if it goes down any more. Now just hoping that the three day reservation we have in Hilo (after a week at the Bay Club at Wailiola) so we could do the Chain of Craters drive is not a bust (have already done the NP and Kīlauea Ike trail hike) but it looks like it may be. If so, I am sure we can find other things to do on that side of the Island!

4. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    Happy to help. Good luck! And check those rates often - I found rates lower today than they were yesterday. Different class of car, but a lower price on a better vehicle.

Be sure to check the Volcano NP website for details on open/closed roads inside the Park. Last I'd heard, Chain of Craters Road was closed. The Visitors Center is open, and Crater Rim Drive is only open between the entrance and the Jagger Museum. Thurston Lava Tube was closed, too. https://www.nps.gov/havo/learn/news/20180507_pr_updates.htm

Dave

bbodb1 likes this.
  5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Well, it was worth looking, but I already had the low cost spread. Again, Costco, 30% off Budget's price, one free day, size upgrade and free second driver. Woo-Hoo!
    Jim

slip and DaveNW like this.
  6. ConejoRed

ConejoRed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club at Waikoloa Beach, HGVC Grand Pacific MarBrisa
    Prices down another $15 today, canceled and rebooked... going to look a bit crazy in the reservation system I think when all is said and done at this rate! Ideally would like to reserve a mini-van so we only have one car (six adults), but at the moment renting two cars is cheaper than one mini-van (and by quite a bit) for the same period, but will keep watching those a well.

I saw that the Chain of Craters road was closed so will just need to keep an eye out on the NPS site to see if it reopens before we go in June.

Tucsonadventurer, DaveNW and bbodb1 like this.
  7. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Thank you for this reminder Dave - I just saved about $300 on two future reservations!
    Cancel and rebook those lower rates!
    We don't often rent cars so I am a bit surprised by seeing such a price drop in summer in Boston and Vancouver. But I like it!

Thank you, Dave.
    I may have to break out my HAL-9000 avatar.....

DaveNW likes this.
  8. DaveNW

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark

That's amazing! My $15 savings might be a fast food burger. Yours is a full-on fancy dinner! ;)

Dave

9. chemteach

chemteach TUG Member

Thank you! Just saved $100!

DaveNW likes this.