• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cheaper ways to go to Florida (winter from New England)) when we retire.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
We will be going to Florida at the end of January. I was looking up rental cars at MCO,
I was also wondering how much it would cost to rent a car at Albany NY airport and return it to MCO.

This is what I found out!

I can rent a (Full) car at Albany for 2 weeks and return it to MCO for a cost of $158.00
If I rent a car at MCO for 1 week and return it at MCO the cost is $223.00.
We won't have to pay for airfair for 1 way down there.

I know people will say but you will spend more in food, stays etc. and I agree unless you are planning to use your own car to get down there, which we probably will do once we retire. One of the things that concerned me about driving to Florida is driving back.

What this means to us when we retire. We can rent a car from Albany slowly drive down to Florida with multiple stops along the way and not worry so much if our car breaks down.

While we won't be doing this on this trip, it is something for us to think about in the future. I figured I'll pass this on.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We will be going to Florida at the end of January. I was looking up rental cars at MCO,
I was also wondering how much it would cost to rent a car at Albany NY airport and return it to MCO.

This is what I found out!

I can rent a (Full) car at Albany for 2 weeks and return it to MCO for a cost of $158.00
If I rent a car at MCO for 1 week and return it at MCO the cost is $223.00.
We won't have to pay for airfair for 1 way down there.

I know people will say but you will spend more in food, stays etc. and I agree unless you are planning to use your own car to get down there, which we probably will do once we retire. One of the things that concerned me about driving to Florida is driving back.

What this means to us when we retire. We can rent a car from Albany slowly drive down to Florida with multiple stops along the way and not worry so much if our car breaks down.

While we won't be doing this on this trip, it is something for us to think about in the future. I figured I'll pass this on.
When you retire and drive down, consider a week in Hilton Head SC. Most of the time weather is much warmer then New England. Many snowbirds go to Hilton Head for the winter.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think it is funny that a couple who retired to pinehurst has rented in so Florida for the winter, I don't get the move to the middle if you aren't staying there.
Someone rented a car late in the season to drive to Michigan from fort Myers for $50 one year.

Nickfromct

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every winter car rental companies need cars in Florida and earlier in the season were renting cars for as little as $5 per day for one way rentals from the Northeast to Florida.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You live in Vermont but are close to the Albany airport? What happens when you get down to Florida? Will you have a car to use for the winter? Why are you concerned about driving back from Florida but not driving down?

Not understanding...And what is MCO?

My brother drives down to Fla. from NY with his own car. My aunt and uncle used to drive to Washington,DC and take the auto train down.

I personally would never drive that far- retired or not. And this is coming from a person who hates to fly, but also hates really long driving trips (over 8 hours) even more. Then again, my husband and I do not like the idea of leaving our home during the winter months either.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You live in Vermont but are close to the Albany airport? What happens when you get down to Florida? Will you have a car to use for the winter? Why are you concerned about driving back from Florida but not driving down?

Not understanding...And what is MCO?

My brother drives down to Fla. from NY with his own car. My aunt and uncle used to drive to Washington,DC and take the auto train down.

I personally would never drive that far- retired or not. And this is coming from a person who hates to fly, but also hates really long driving trips (over 8 hours) even more. Then again, my husband and I do not like the idea of leaving our home during the winter months either.

When we retire we would travel 3 or so weeks at a time. We would drive to Florida return the car to the orlando airport (MCO). Then fly back! We would do stops along the way for example DC, Charleston, Hilton Head. We don't mind driving I put on 40,000 miles a year. By renting a car one way we wouldn't have to drive back. The fact that it is cheaper to rent a car from Albany for two weeks and return it in Florida, then to rent a car in Florida for 1 week amazes me!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
When we retire we would travel 3 or so weeks at a time. We would drive to Florida return the car to the orlando airport (MCO). Then fly back! We would do stops along the way for example DC, Charleston, Hilton Head. We don't mind driving I put on 40,000 miles a year. By renting a car one way we wouldn't have to drive back. The fact that it is cheaper to rent a car from Albany for two weeks and return it in Florida, then to rent a car in Florida for 1 week amazes me!

Oh- I get it now. That is amazing! Great idea. So- you would drive and leave your car at Albany airport and pay for the parking or get a ride to Albany airport?

We drive a lot also with working/commuting- but look forward to the day we don't have to drive so much. Maybe we will think differently when and if we ever can retire, but I doubt it because we will be older by then.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I think it is funny that a couple who retired to pinehurst has rented in so Florida for the winter, I don't get the move to the middle if you aren't staying there.
Someone rented a car late in the season to drive to Michigan from fort Myers for $50 one year.

My brother just sold his condo on Palm Coast to a couple who live in the Villages who are using it as a second home! LOL! They said the Villages gets too crowded during the prime season and they need some peace and quiet! Ha! Ha!

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh- I get it now. That is amazing! Great idea. So- you would drive and leave your car at Albany airport and pay for the parking or get a ride to Albany airport?

We drive a lot also with working/commuting- but look forward to the day we don't have to drive so much. Maybe we will think differently when and if we ever can retire, but I doubt it because we will be older by then.

I think when we retire we will feel much younger, at least for several years anyway! Right now, work gets in the way, with commuting and work hours, who has time!

PS, it seems like we are 20 years younger when we are on vacation!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother just sold his condo on Palm Coast to a couple who live in the Villages who are using it as a second home! LOL! They said the Villages gets too crowded during the prime season and they need some peace and quiet! Ha! Ha!
Wow, that is a first

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Wow, that is a first
Not as odd as you might think. Folks up north have Homes in the city and own beach places as second Home.The Villages is not near the Beach, so good for them to buy a second place. Palm Coast is near the Atlantic Ocean.
Silentg

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I think when we retire we will feel much younger, at least for several years anyway! Right now, work gets in the way, with commuting and work hours, who has time!

PS, it seems like we are 20 years younger when we are on vacation!
I’m hoping I feel younger when I retire in 9 years. I’m so tired every day after working 9-10 hour days. I love sleeping in on the weekends

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not as odd as you might think. Folks up north have Homes in the city and own beach places as second Home.The Villages is not near the Beach, so good for them to buy a second place. Palm Coast is near the Atlantic Ocean.
Silentg
We keep our two homes far apart.

Brett

Reaction score

looks like a good strategy. I go to Florida in February every year, flying and sometimes driving. I'll have to check the one-way rental rates

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Silentg
And the average temperature in January is 55 degrees. Makes more sense to me to have it for summers when it gets really hot in the villages.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
looks like a good strategy. I go to Florida in February every year, flying and sometimes driving. I'll have to check the one-way rental rates
It seems like it is only a January thing. You can rent the last day of January and it will give you the disc rates for Feb. I checked and a 4 week rental from ALB to MCO is only 339.99.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every winter car rental companies need cars in Florida and earlier in the season were renting cars for as little as $5 per day for one way rentals from the Northeast to Florida.

In my younger days (a long time ago) there were companies where I could sign up to drive someone else's car to Florida. These were people who would spend the Winter there. They would fly of take the train but wanted their car while they were in Florida. These companies would also find me a car to drive back. A couple of times these were cars that had been repossessed. The gas was paid for by the car's owner. I never had a problem getting a car.

George

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
In my younger days (a long time ago) there were companies where I could sign up to drive someone else's car to Florida. These were people who would spend the Winter there. They would fly of take the train but wanted their car while they were in Florida. These companies would also find me a car to drive back. A couple of times these were cars that had been repossessed. The gas was paid for by the car's owner. I never had a problem getting a car.

George

We did that twice in our BC (before children) days. We liked to go to Florida in April, a time when snowbirds wanted their cars to return north. The company (out of Toronto) that we used also paid for the drivers airfare down to FL. We were able to get another cheap airfare for me on the same flight. We found a cheap rental car to use while we were in FL and then dropped it off after picking up the car to drive home. We were never allowed to use (& not supposed to open) the trunk which had the owners belongings in it, but our bags fit in the back seat with no problem.

The last time we did it we got a very new loaded Cadilac. What a nice ride home! When we got to Toronto we went to our home and I picked up our car then followed DH to the car drop off address. They were very inexpensive trips to Florida for a young couple.

~Diane