TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Chase sapphire reserve card ?

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by Grandma2016, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Grandma2016

Grandma2016 Guest

So my husband just received his CSR card in mail. We have spent the required amount in month one for our award points. My ? Is....1. If american airlines is our go to airline and this card is not partnered with them how do I get most bang with my airlines? 2. Since I'm the one usually making purchases should I be added as a user? 3. Do u still think this is best card to pay timeshare maintenance fees with (they are about 18k per year)....we use our aa miles to fly to maui . TIA

2. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    Grandma2016 likes this.
  3. Grandma2016

Grandma2016 Guest

taterhed WOW I signed him up for a membership with BA and checked how many points it would be from PHX to OGG. Normally the smallest amount I have EVER seen is 20,000 AA miles. This was only 12,500 miles. THANK YOU. Do you know if I can move my AA miles to BA miles? If not I will just start depositing my miles with BA. Yipee!!! I love this forum!

taterhed and jackio like this.
  4. taterhed

taterhed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin WKORV OFD
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Worldmark x2
    I don't think so...sorry. But, google is your friend. Check TPG for answers (the points guy)

5. chemteach

chemteach TUG Member

I wish I knew about British Airways flights to Hawaii from the west coast earlier than I did!! I discovered this about 3 years ago from someone on TUG, and have since gotten credit cards that will get me BA miles just for flying to Hawaii with family. British Air has a great credit card offer right now - 50,000 points (2 Hawaii tickets for west coasters) after spending $3000, another 25,000 points after spending another $7000, and another 25000 points if you spend an additional $10,000 within the first year. I'm still trying to decide if it's worth putting $10,000 on the card for the additional 25000 bonus points... It would equate to 3.5 points per dollar spent, so I'll likely go ahead and do it. Gotta love British Air for west coast to Hawaii travel!! (I also just learned that with my Thank You points from Citi, I can fly Los Angeles to Tahiti for 51,000 miles on Air France. They are running a special 30% bonus right now for transfers to Air France, that's 40,000 ThankYou points (plus around $200 in fees) to fly round trip to Tahiti!! Woohoo!)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Grandma2016 likes this.
  6. Grandma2016

Grandma2016 Guest

Wish there was a love button. Lol

taterhed likes this.
  7. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

To add you as a supplemental card holder is another $75 per year but well worth it.

Grandma2016 likes this.
  8. Grandma2016

Grandma2016 Guest

Just signed up for the BA cc excited for the 100k points. Thank u all so much.

9. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    Y'know several weeks ago, I asked about using the British Airways(BA) CC and using Avios on American and Alaska in the Tug Lounge.
    But no one responded :shrug:
    On paper it sounded good because of the BA mileage charts, but I wanted to know if anyone had personal experience getting the awards they wanted on American or Alaska. I read on a couple of other forums (FlyerTalk) that the BA rewards app was really really glitchy around April-June and many people were
    very frustrated in trying to redeem their Avios. This coincided with BA's change of vendor s/w & service for their mileage awards. I hope they got it all worked out by now...
    It might be hard to get flights on Alaska to Hawaii, as I read the award seat must be available at the lowest Alaska award redemption miles level, in order to use Avios.

I went ahead and got the British Airways CC anyway for the bonus Avios mentioned in prior posts. Gotta reroof the house, and that $ spend should get me about 85K avios to play with :whooopie:

Good to know I can transfer my Chase UR pts to British Airways if I need to. I have just been using them directly from UR to book flights.

Grandma2016 likes this.
  10. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    Some of us have been posting about the benefits of BA Avios for years. I've used it for Hawaii flights for the last ~7 years.

I don't frequent the lounge as often as I used to, but there's always the possibility of searching TUG...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Chase portal is also expanding their air and hotel options. I was just looking this morning at several Maui condo and hotel options that can be paid with points or points and cash.

I always compare the portal pricing with UR points with the air/hotel reward transfer options to find out the best point redemption value before transferring points to the partner.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  12. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    Don't forget, BA Avios charge per segment so the best bang for the Avio are non stop flights.

CalGalTraveler and dsmrp like this.
  13. oneohana

oneohana TUG Member

In June, we got 4 rt lax/ogg on American. I had to adjust our trip 1 day on the front end and 2 days on the back end though.

dsmrp likes this.
  14. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    Unfortunately it would count as another card for you in the 5/24 Chase rule and could limit you getting other Chase cards. If that isn't your plan then it's a non issue

15. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club
    Oh I thought the 5/24 rule only applied to the primary card holder. We're okay tho and nowhere near that with 2 different cards total, plus 1 no fee one chase gave us years ago for our checking/savings type.

16. VacationForever

Supplemental cards don't count towards 5/24. Only the primary card holder is tracked and is responsible. I spoke with Chase rep and was told this.

17. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    If you track the blogs this is inconsistent and is rep dependent. It at times involves a long involved reconsideration call explaining that you aren't finally dependent for that card. We just dont do it any more but if you are well under it makes sense

18. VacationForever

As a supplemental card holder, the account does not appear in their credit history reporting at all. It makes a difference because it does not show up in the 5/24 tracking.

19. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I think this is credit card dependent. For instance, the Chase BA is not limited by the 5/24 rule. But, once you have, it limits you for future cards.

Some Biz cards show up in people Credit reports and some don’t. So some count and some don’t. So, there is really no simple answer here...

20. GregT

GregT TUG Member TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, DC Points HGVC: HHV Lagoon, Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, Aulani, Worldmark
    I wasn’t able to use BA Avios to book tickets on AA for next year. I have done it successfully in the past but there wasn’t any availability. I even called and they couldn’t find it.

I hope this was a one time thing because it is fantastic when it works. But it isn’t a guarantee.

Best,

Greg

21. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    This has always been the case. I always search one way and keep searching, sometimes daily, when they aren’t available. In the last two years or so it seems seat availability timing has also changed again. I’ve purchased at least two one ways with cash and used Avios for the other way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. Bobw

Bobw TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV
    WMH
    WLM
    You can also use the CSR points to purchase tickets directly with Chase travel. One point converts to 1.5 travel points. That way there are no blackout dates. If there is a seat available you get it.

You get a free Priority Pass Select membership with CSR card. They have lounges at most airports.

Grandma2016 likes this.
  23. Clarkrock7

Clarkrock7 TUG Member

OP: it sounds like you may think you have to transfer the ultimate rewards (chase) points right away. You Don't! Chase has lots of partners and as others have said the points can also be used through Chase's own portal to book directly. Research for availability and then transfer to book.

Grandma2016 likes this.
  24. Grandma2016

Grandma2016 Guest

Thanks for all the advice. Fortunately the dates we normally travel show availability and at a much lower point cost than AA direct. And to book it is a direct flight.

25. dss

dss TUG Member

FYI - Since Alaska took over Virgin America, their inventory initially trended towards WAY too generous and is not becoming far more restrictive. There has been some blog coverage of this. To be clear, the Avios redemption level is booking into AS inventory so that will have a direct impact on availability since you need to have the lowest award category available to access this. Travel dynamics to HI from the west coast are also very likely to change once Southwest enters the market.

re: Authorized User, I had a situation where I was right at 5/24 and was able to reserve a decline that was triggered due to showing up as an Authorized User on my wife's CSR card. While not every rep may interpret it correctly, authorized users are 100% not supposed to count towards 5/24.