• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Sapphire Reserve card newbie questions

janej

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just applied for the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and activated the airport lounge benefit. How long does it take to get the actual card?

My husband also applied but did not get a decision right away. It says he will receive the decision in 30 days. Has anyone been through this process recently? How long does it really take? I am thinking about adding him to my account if he does not get approved. We have a big trip in A month. Wonder how long I can wait.

Many thanks for your help,

Jane

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
They will do one of 2 things with his application. 1) Rejection 2) Tell him that they cannot issue him a card as he has already max'ed out on his credit limit with Chase Visa and if he is willing to rebalance his credit limit on other cards under Chase Visa. They should contact him within a week or so.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do get this all the time and they do issue me the card. One time I got scenario 2 above where they lowered another card I had and did not use.

If you add a user, there is a $75/year fee.

The Priority pass is good for 2 people at a time so you can use one card for both of you.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. You guys are the expert:clap:

We will wait for a week and see. Hope it is scenario 2.

Is the priority pass really good for 2 people? I read somewhere that it is only good for the pass holder. If it is good for 2, there is no urgency for now. We can try it first.

Many thanks,

Jane

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I am by no means an expert in airport lounges, but my experience with Priority Pass is that it sounds far better than it actually is.
It took about 3 weeks for my physical Priority pass card to arrive after I activated the benefit.

The main problem with using Priority Pass is simply finding a lounge that accepts it. Although they have a brochure, what you may not realize is that in a typical international airport there may, say, 10 lounges. Half of them do not accept Priority Pass. The rest are scattered among the terminals - and maybe not the terminal from which you are departing. A terminal that accepts PP may be on the other side of the airport. Further, it may be behind security, so you may not even be permitted to access it if it's in a different terminal. So you roll the dice and go to the other terminal to enjoy the lounge, hoping to get back in time to get through security and to your flight?

I highly recommend you get a free app called Lounge Buddy. In your profile you can tell it what credit cards you have and enter any airline programs where you have high status. And of course, there's a checkbox for Priority Pass as well. You can then enter your flight and based on the terminal where you will depart/arrive and the ticket type you are using it will let you know which lounges you can actually use - based on more than just Priority Pass. You will be very surprised to see how FEW lounges you can actually access. This app knows all the ridiculous rules and exclusions to accessing the lounges. As a for instance, I was flying out of LAX on a reward first class ticket and thought I could naturally use the airline's lounge even though they were not affiliated with Priority Pass. Turns out only international first class departing flights had access to the lounge. Lounge Buddy knew that. And even if a lounge is in the same terminal as you, you may be restricted based on the GATE from which you are departing. It's truly a maddening set of rules that seem to exist only to ensure few people use the lounge. With the Lounge Buddy app, you will know far ahead of time which lounges you can actually enter based on your travel itinerary (assuming they don't change your gate...). It also lets you know which lounges you can access through payment. I only read about Lounge Buddy through a travel blog; I'm sure it's one of a dozen similar apps.

I have been able to use an airport lounge exactly twice in my life. Both were because I had a first class reward ticket on United. It was really nice. I've checked the app for at least a dozen other flights and there were no accessible lounges that allowed access for Priority Pass. That was at some pretty huge airports: LAX, LAS, MCO, EWR. Sure, there were a lot of lounges that took PP, but not in my terminal.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
With regards with the priority pass, rickandcindy (Cindy) reported that on several occasions her recent postings that they were applicable to all 8 people with her one pass.

When you receive the card, it will include info on how to register and download the app on your mobile devices. The app is super friendly to use and shows you, based on locations all their lounges that accep the pass.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
With regards with the priority pass, rickandcindy (Cindy) reported that on several occasions her recent postings that they were applicable to all 8 people with her one pass.

When you receive the card, it will include info on how to register and download the app on your mobile devices. The app is super friendly to use and shows you, based on locations all their lounges that accep the pass.

That app is great for Priority Pass, but I still find Lounge Buddy to be more comprehensive, as it takes all credit card types and airline status into consideration. It took me quite a long time to understand how to use it correctly. It's not intuitive by any means...

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I got a Chase Sapphire Reserve card a couple months ago, and the Priority Pass card only took a week or two after I activated it. However, I was disappointed that the Minneapolis airport lounge didn't open until 7 AM which didn't help us for our 6:55 AM flight. We had a layover in Charlotte which is a very busy airport, and Priority Pass doesn't list a lounge there. We have a layover in Miami on the way back, so maybe we'll be able to check it out then.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I visited the Priority Pass lounges in Las Vegas and at LaGuardia. The one in Las Vegas was much better. In NY, I brought 2 friends with me. They wanted to see everyone’s boarding pass.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and knowledge. I installed Lounge Buddy app and played with it. It is amazing. I added my next trip and it showed multiple lounges for every airport. But it is still too far out to get the terminal information. It also shows that I can bring unlimited guests.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
I used the priority pass in Aruba. It was great. Actually, I forgot the pass but called to get the number. I was told that some lounges will not accept the number and proof of identity. Aruba did,,,, what a happy island.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
To the OP: for what it's worth, we absolutely LOVE our Chase Sapphire Reserve cards, which accounts for 80-90% of our household spending. In addition to the credits in our Ultimate Rewards account, we also get the Priority Pass (which we use only occasionally but are glad to have it), and the annual $300 travel credit which is automatically applied against any travel-related charges incurred on our account. What is particularly great about the UR program is its flexibility: points can be converted to cash rebates, gift cards, credits on Amazon, or--the best of all--the ability to book travel through the UR portal, offering travel discounts of 20% from regular prices.

I've posted elsewhere on TUG that a new CEO of the program took over on January 1 because the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is not a moneymaker for Chase Bank. Though no one has said so yet, I anticipate there may be devaluations or changes in the program announced late this year and which will be effective in 2019. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I may be right.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
l0410z and WalnutBaron,

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I am very excited to have this card. I am going to do my Global Entry interview tomorrow. I see that the fee has already been refunded to my card!

Jane

GreenTea

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. You guys are the expert:clap:

We will wait for a week and see. Hope it is scenario 2.

Is the priority pass really good for 2 people? I read somewhere that it is only good for the pass holder. If it is good for 2, there is no urgency for now. We can try it first.

Many thanks,

Jane
I’m not sure it’s even limited to one guest with you. I know for certain I’ve taken my husband in and I think he and a kid as well. The rules are spelled out.

If he an authorized user he will get his on PP card as well.

I think I saw on ThePointsGuy in the last few days that CSP PP members can not use a digital card. See if you can find the story. Didn’t read it but saw the headline I believe.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Priority Pass lounge in Denver is the best, and it's concourse C, where Alaska and Southwest are located. Those are about the only airlines we fly.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
To the OP: for what it's worth, we absolutely LOVE our Chase Sapphire Reserve cards, which accounts for 80-90% of our household spending. In addition to the credits in our Ultimate Rewards account, we also get the Priority Pass (which we use only occasionally but are glad to have it), and the annual $300 travel credit which is automatically applied against any travel-related charges incurred on our account. What is particularly great about the UR program is its flexibility: points can be converted to cash rebates, gift cards, credits on Amazon, or--the best of all--the ability to book travel through the UR portal, offering travel discounts of 20% from regular prices.

I've posted elsewhere on TUG that a new CEO of the program took over on January 1 because the Chase Sapphire Reserve card is not a moneymaker for Chase Bank. Though no one has said so yet, I anticipate there may be devaluations or changes in the program announced late this year and which will be effective in 2019. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I may be right.

I agree.our experience with card has been very good. We’ve had mixed success with the lounges, but both of us get access, when available, with our one card.

With regard to potential changes to benefits, I discussed the topic with our local Chase branch manager recently and he indicated that they reduced the sign up bonus from 100k to 50k points, but don’t anticipate any other changes. The 50k Point reduction equates to $750 in travel benefits, so that helps reduce or remove their issue with lack of profitability. Hopefully, that holds true.

Best regards.

Mike

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
To add to Mike's statement about the card. I am not very worried about a reduction in benefits.

We have cards that are no longer offered, and everyone on Flyertalk said Chase would reduce our benefits, but they never did, and for that, I am truly grateful, because the two of us get a lot of benefit from those Ink Bold and Ink Plus cards. We each get 250K points per year with our process of buying Visa gift cards at Staples for 5X points. It is our way of saving a great deal of money on travel.

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
We each get 250K points per year with our process of buying Visa gift cards at Staples for 5X points. It is our way of saving a great deal of money on travel.
Wow, how does that work?

I also wonder if anyone has used any purchase protection related benefits. I used American Express for my major purchase for years. I had claims for extended warranty and accidental damage covered without any issues. Recently I dealt with Discover card accidental damage and price protection warranty and there is no comparison. The Discovery card ones are just waste of time. Wonder how Chase compares.

Thanks everyone. I am learning more every day.

Jane

janej

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s even limited to one guest with you. I know for certain I’ve taken my husband in and I think he and a kid as well. The rules are spelled out.

If he an authorized user he will get his on PP card as well.

I think I saw on ThePointsGuy in the last few days that CSP PP members can not use a digital card. See if you can find the story. Didn’t read it but saw the headline I believe.
I just received my PP card today. The welcome letter included instructions for downloading digital card. it should work everywhere. It also said the card is good for me and my travel companions. I can't wait to try it!

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm probably going to discontinue this card next month. The lounge access is a total waste as far as I can see. They have three longes at JFK, two located in terminal 1 and the other in terminal 4. Terminal 1 has Air France and KAL. Air France is a joke because you are not allowed in the upper level and you can only go in during certain hours. KAL is pretty much the same. I won't comment on the lounge in terminal 4 as I never travel on Air Serbia or the other airlines serviced at that facility. I though when I signed up for this card I could use pretty much any lounge anywhere but that is definitely not the case.

Well I was also intrigued by the 50% more value to the points when used for airfare. As far as I can tell that's not an exaggeration it's an outright lie. I called up and asked if I could use my points for airfare to Europe. It wasn't that easy to figure out online and when I finally did it gave me a ridiculous amount of points required. OK so one-way BC on AA through their website for September 2018 to Ireland will run 57,500. If I could do 50% better with the Chase card it would make the card worth it. The rep found me a flight on Icelandic Air. I've never flown them but they are a reputable airline so I asked how much in points. 226,000, if you are not good at math that's about 4x what AA charged. Let me repeat so there is no confusion. AA wanted 57,500 for a one-way business class ticket to Dublin Ireland in September 2018. Chase UR wanted 226,000 for the same trip.

The 3x point bonus on travel and dining is good but the Chase Marriott card gives you 2x so that alone does not justify the extra cost of the card. As to the other travel benefits I don't see much difference in any of the other cards that I use. In short, a lot of flash but not too much substance seems to sum up this card nicely.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm probably going to discontinue this card next month. The lounge access is a total waste as far as I can see. They have three longes at JFK, two located in terminal 1 and the other in terminal 4. Terminal 1 has Air France and KAL. Air France is a joke because you are not allowed in the upper level and you can only go in during certain hours. KAL is pretty much the same. I won't comment on the lounge in terminal 4 as I never travel on Air Serbia or the other airlines serviced at that facility. I though when I signed up for this card I could use pretty much any lounge anywhere but that is definitely not the case.

Well I was also intrigued by the 50% more value to the points when used for airfare. As far as I can tell that's not an exaggeration it's an outright lie. I called up and asked if I could use my points for airfare to Europe. It wasn't that easy to figure out online and when I finally did it gave me a ridiculous amount of points required. OK so one-way BC on AA through their website for September 2018 to Ireland will run 57,500. If I could do 50% better with the Chase card it would make the card worth it. The rep found me a flight on Icelandic Air. I've never flown them but they are a reputable airline so I asked how much in points. 226,000, if you are not good at math that's about 4x what AA charged. Let me repeat so there is no confusion. AA wanted 57,500 for a one-way business class ticket to Dublin Ireland in September 2018. Chase UR wanted 226,000 for the same trip.

The 3x point bonus on travel and dining is good but the Chase Marriott card gives you 2x so that alone does not justify the extra cost of the card. As to the other travel benefits I don't see much difference in any of the other cards that I use. In short, a lot of flash but not too much substance seems to sum up this card nicely.

If you are paying cash for airfare, the points required in Chase Sapphire Reserve is a good option. So if a flight costs $150 one way, you will only pay 10,000 UR points for that flight. So instead of paying cash, pay the points. These are not award seats because any seat you get can be had for cash or points and not limited to a few per flight.

If you have an award seat you want to acquire through points alone, you can transfer your UR points to another airline for an award seat. You transfer through the Chase portal to United, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Flying Blue (Air France), etc. The only problem with transferring to those partners is the lack of award seats.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

My experience is business class fares you are always better on getting with Airline points (so UR transfers to BA or UA if you can). I find the best use of points is for domestic air where the portal is the exact same price as publicly listed prices, so you get 1/3 off those prices with the 50% point bonus. Hotels also work well.

However overseas for Business class flights, better using reward point on the airline than UR points.

Just my experience.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
AA wanted 57,500 for a one-way business class ticket to Dublin Ireland in September 2018. Chase UR wanted 226,000 for the same trip.
I have an AA MasterCard. I fly almost exclusively AA, and Southwest for local flights in California. I use my AA card for just about everything. I've got reservations right now for LAX-London RT. 57,500 points each way on British Air through American. To Sydney last November, 80,000 pts business class (there was no first). Any business/first ticket gets you into the AA airport lounge.