• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Change of Plans - Three More Nights in Cancun

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that Winter Storm Harper is impacting our trip home. The storm is moving through Columbus Ohio this weekend. Southwest was allowing changes in flights at no cost. The problem is that the next available flights were on Tuesday, all Sun and Mon flights were sold out and only three seats left for flights on Tuesday. Our worry was that they would end up cancelling our flight tomorrow and by that time we would be stuck until Wednesday at the earliest. So we went ahead and changed our flights home to Tuesday.

ETA: We were also a little disappointed this time at Lagunamar. We have had to move rooms once. Yesterday afternoon when returning to our room in Building 400 we found them painting furniture in the villa next to ours. We were in a studio and they were spray painting in the 1BR side. The whole room stunk of spray paint. It was awful. There was no way we could have slept the night in that room.

I understand that these types of things need to be done, but they were literally painting drawers in the hallway. They really should take these things somewhere else to do the painting. Not beside other occupied villas. Also, isn't this what regular refurbishment cycles are for?

They ended up moving us to a third floor ocean side studio in building 14. While the view is great, they are of course painting the exterior of this building. Thankfully with rollers and paint brushes. No smell here, but the entire patio is covered in paint chips from where they scraped off the old paint. Still, better than the smell of spray paint.

Last edited:

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
We will just miss you. Arriving next Sunday for our first ever stay there.

BA21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV Key West, WKV
HGVC Flamingo
Dioxide, a few extra nights in Cancun doesn't sound too bad at this time of year. I would gladly trade your paint chips on the balcony for the six inches of snow in my driveway this morning. I've enjoyed your previous trip videos, hope to see one from Lagunamar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It seems that Lagunamar and Vistana came through. We made a reservation last night just before midnight for the Westin Cancun Resort & Spa, but after reading horrid reviews we decided we would rather just stick it out at Lagunamar :p Unfortunately since it was then after midnight, we couldn't cancel the Westin Cancun reservation. We were willing to simply lose the 16,650 StarOptions it would cost to book a studio at Lagunamar, so we did that at 1:00am. I called this morning to see if I could cancel the Westin Cancun SO reservation and they did so without penalty. They also did a cancel and rebook on the Lagunamar reservation to remove the $38 housekeeping fee. Thumbs up for Vistana.

As for Lagunamar, after we packed everything expecting to have to move I decided to call down before leaving the villa to see if perhaps they would be keeping us in the same unit. Fortunately (or unfortunatly) they said they would and we could just go to the front desk to get the keys re-programmed. I say unfortunately since we did all that packing for nothing. So we unpacked just what we would need for the next few days. Unfortunately later in the day I couldn't get back into the room because they keys were only programmed through the 19th. I had to go back to building 11 checkin to get that fixed. Still great not to have to move villas.

Now of course the disheartening part. It seems that our original Southwest flight left on time and arrived as expected in Columbus. It was just a big gamble because we were worried with so few flights out during the week that if they cancelled it, we could be stuck for a while. We actually checked and both Sunday and Monday, all flights were sold out. We didn't want to end up at the airport in Cancun with a cancelled flight and a bunch of people trying to get the few seats remaining for the week.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Dioxide, a few extra nights in Cancun doesn't sound too bad at this time of year. I would gladly trade your paint chips on the balcony for the six inches of snow in my driveway this morning. I've enjoyed your previous trip videos, hope to see one from Lagunamar.
This is true, things could be worse. It does seem that the storm is now hitting at home. It should be cleared out by the time we need to fly home on Tuesday. Glad you are enjoying the videos and yes, there will be videos to come from Lagunamar.