TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Change in MVC ownership tiers

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by logos5, Aug 21, 2019.

1. logos5

logos5 Guest

I just came back from a sales pitch and one of the things I was told was that starting Sept 1 the point requirements for the ownership tiers are changing.
    • Select will now start at 6000 and Chairman's club is going away
    • Price per point is also going to be jumping quite significantly as they roll in Hyatt and the other acquisitions
    I was shown a memo as proof, anyone else hear about this? It factored into a purchase I made, I'm still in my rescind period and want to make sure I wasn't just fed a story.

2. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    If you bought on the fear that benefit levels would change and you would lose out, you should rescind.

But even if you didn't, developer purchases seldom make economic sense compared to the prices available on the secondary market -- because most developer purchases lose 65-99% of their value as soon as the rescission period is over.

How many points did you buy? What did you pay per point? How long do you have to rescind?

logos5 and CPNY like this.
  3. Norcal5

Norcal5 TUG Member

Is Chairmans getting replaced by another level or just getting merged with Presidential?

logos5 likes this.
  4. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    What did this memo say? I’m not going to go down this road again, but I was told the prices were going up 3 months ago

Someone else was shown a memo or document back in July I believe. In my limited life experience, I’ve learned that nothing is official until it is official and nothing is absolute except death.

If what you say is true which it could very well be, that would go against what others were saying about another level after CC was being added.

logos5 likes this.
  5. pchung6

pchung6 TUG Member

Here we go. Please not again. It is just sales tactic to scare you so you have to buy now.

CPNY, Steve Fatula and logos5 like this.
  6. logos5

logos5 Guest

I've got 10 days to rescind. This isn't my first purchase (I have 2K currently) but I wasn't planning on purchasing more just yet either. I had the option of purchasing 1000 pts and freezing the select tier at 4000 points for me so once I bought another 1k later on I'd get Select despite the fact that Select will require 6000 points going forward.

I bought 2000 pts @ 12.8.

I don't remember the exact wording but it wasn't getting replaced by another level, just going away which probably means merged.

The other change that is coming is that the minimum number of points that can be purchased is going up to 1,500.

7. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    3wheelin and logos5 like this.
  8. logos5

logos5 Guest

Yep, you're right. Just started looking at resale options. Definitely much cheaper!

As for the memo, it did say June - Aug so it's probably what they have been showing people throughout the summer to pressure buyers in advance of changes in Sept.

9. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    My suggestion: rescind and rent points as needed.

No upfront cost and the price to rent is <5% more than the underlying MF's.

logos5 likes this.
  10. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

11. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    So the minimum points you can buy are going to be 1500 and level changes. Where in the memo did it state “as they roll in Hyatt and other acquisitions” as you mentioned in your OP? Did it say that or did the sales rep verbally add that? That would be helpful if they are having pricing changes or new levels or tweaks to existing sales strategy. That happens a lot. The bigger issue is the “overlay” or how they “roll in”. Was that on that document or was that added verbally? Of course I was told end of the year 4Q to expect new program so “buy in now” by the VSE sales rep. Just spoke to MVC rep who is much less pressure when dealing with central sales and there have been NO mention of any changes to structure or levels or price increases because of “roll ins” so take that for what’s it’s worth

logos5 likes this.
  12. Pocky87

Pocky87 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Vacation Club AP
    They recently got many people to try off with 4,000 for Select level... I'm not sure how true the memo is... and usually I will get them to put those terms they mentioned in writing...

logos5 likes this.
  13. teddyo333

teddyo333 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Vistana:
    Westin Kierland
    WKORV - OV
    Desert Oasis (x5)
    Vistana Villages - Bella
    Vistana Villages - Key West
    Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Marriott:
    Marriott's Sunset Pointe
    I would rescind and wait until the official announcement is made. I attended a similar presentation recently and even though there was no pressure, the sales rep was not comfortable providing something in writing. The only thing that anyone can confirm is that "Change is coming". And the only reason we know it is coming is because the CEO officially announced this.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    logos5 likes this.
  14. logos5

logos5 Guest

Great points. The memo mentioned the change in levels and the 1500 minimum if I recall correctly. The rep verbally explained that this was happening because of Hyatt/Vistana/etc. He also mentioned that price per point was going up to the $20-24 range specifically because of Hyatt. He also mentioned that going forward that you wanted to be in the points vs weeks/destination programs and that the Hyatt/Sheraton/etc people needed to buy into the points program.

The feedback I'm getting from all of you is helping to make sense between fact and a story to get me to buy more points. Thanks!!

15. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Reports have been coming back that all others will have to buy into the DC system. Of course that could all be lies to get you to buy into the DC program now. I was told by the VSE rep to buy into Westin or Sheraton Flex now because the prices are going up. Flex would be eligible in any new program so buy now before prices go up. It’s all high pressure sales. Correct, you’ll need to have points to play. Some weeks owners have points associated with their weeks on both sides (weeks enrolled in DC and those weeks in the VSN). I’m not saying you made a bad purchase, however you made an ill informed purchase if you bought solely on sales reps word. You may be able to rescind and buy resale cheaper. Other who are more knowledgeable about the DC program will give you more guidance. Hey, maybe the document was legit and everything you were told is 100% accurate, I can’t say for certain it’s not.

logos5 likes this.
  16. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

To bring it into the Marriott system, you need to add junk fees to it at $3 per point + some other fees. It will come up to more than $7 per point.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    CPNY and logos5 like this.
  17. TXTortoise

TXTortoise TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Maui Ocean Club
    MOC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
    Vail Streamside Birch
    Unless I misunderstand @StevenTing ’s calculator, junk fees are included as the large enrollment cost on the right side.

Fasttr likes this.
  18. dgf15215

dgf15215 TUG Member

My own experience over many years of ownership is that anything you clearly remember from that sales pitch is likely a terrific exaggeration of anything really known or thought to be known. If it was real, it would be in your mailbox as real incentives to buy, and in all of our mailboxes. As it is, I'd rescind. I wish I knew years ago what I've learned here over the past five or so years.

19. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    2k points at $15k is about right. You did read it correctly.

logos5 likes this.
  20. logos5

logos5 Guest

These are some wise words! I did rescind.

dgf15215, TXTortoise and Steve Fatula like this.
  21. LUVourMarriotts

LUVourMarriotts Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MFV (P) 2002
    MSU (G) 2006
    MOW (P) 2018
    It sounds like you already rescinded (is that a word?), but I would also suggest that if the above were true, about the freezing, you would have signed a specific document that provided you that freeze. If you did not, it would not happen. This sounds like a poorly disguised lie, to me.

22. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

I was reviewing the exchange procedures document again, only in part. It looks like status is not guaranteed when they change/raise the threshold for the different levels. I haven't reviewed the complete document, only this portion.

Page 11/12. VII MISCELLANEOUS. Section A. Member Recognition Levels.
    Bolding is from the Document.

https://www.marriottvacationsworldw...20171031/nato/exchange_procedures_english.pdf

23. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

There's not an explicit "grandfather" clause but there is something close for Executive and Chairman's Club. When we went from 2 tiers to 5 tiers, the previous levels were preserved. If they change the tiers again, they will need to make an amendment to add in the exceptions to allow for the grandfathering of tiers.

Chairman's Club - Page 18

Presidential Member - Page 21
    Executive Member - Page 20
    Select Member - Page 23

24. SueDonJ

SueDonJ Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
    We talked about this when they adjusted the status tiers the first/only time, how the grandfathering that they allowed was in direct contrast to what was written in the original governing docs. It'll be interesting to see if they follow the grandfathering precedent that they set if/when they do another adjustment.

25. StevenTing

StevenTing TUG Member

In 4 days we will know for sure that the salesperson was lying. What are the odds they were telling the truth?