• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chair Hogs

blahblah18

TUG Member
Reaction score
At Lagunamar right now, first time here.

Woke up at 7am today, looked out our window, and saw a sea of poolside and ocean front chairs all covered in white towels. Nobody sitting in a single one. At 7 in the freaking morning.

And many remained entirely untouched throughout much of the morning, save for a single person doing a once-every-45-minute drive by to continue saving their 4 or 6 chairs.

People - rude people who seem intent on simply hogging as much real estate as they can - are exploiting the system here.

The system here does not work. It's bloody frustrating to experience.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Woke up at 7am today, looked out our window, and saw a sea of poolside and ocean front chairs all covered in white towels. Nobody sitting in a single one. At 7 in the freaking morning.

And many remained entirely untouched throughout much of the morning, save for a single person doing a once-every-45-minute drive by to continue saving their 4 or 6 chairs.

People - rude people who seem intent on simply hogging as much real estate as they can - are exploiting the system here.

That's what youtube/facebook is for. They call it "social shaming."

blahblah18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lagunamar needs to seriously change their pool chair/towel policy.

Right now, it’s “anything left unattended for 45 minutes will be removed” . . . which is doing absolutely nothing to deter chair hogs. They’ve simply adjusted their strategies accordingly, and are still blocking off plenty of seats which go unused for much of the morning.

My suggested revision:
  • Before 9am, no saving of chairs. Period. No butt in a chair, it’s up for grabs. Even if your friend/cousin/sister-in-law/whoever is sitting in a nearby chair. Immediate removal of any unattended items, making any unused chair available to anyone who actually wants to sit down. (Some might argue that's too rigid, as you'd risk giving up your chair by just running for a quick pee. But virtually nobody is sitting in ANY of those chairs before 9am anyways. They're pretty much all being reserved but left entirely unused, so the "but how would I go to the bathroom" is really a non-issue.)
  • 9am to 11am: anything left unattended for 20 minutes will be removed. Plenty of time for a dip in the pool, a walk to the bar, or to head back to your villa to grab something.
  • 11am onwards: keep the current 45 minute rule, allowing people to grab lunch, swim, visit the bar, whatever.

Now I doubt that would ever happen, as the Chair Hogs would no doubt revolt. But, without changes, us non-Chair-Hogs won’t fully enjoy the Lagunamar pool experience.

Reactions: RnU

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
seems like a great thing to bring up at the annual owners meeting!

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
seems like a great thing to bring up at the annual owners meeting!
FWIW, the last annual owners meeting (in January) actually had a quorum...the first ever, I think.

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
am I the only one that has never had a problem at WKORV(N)? And I don't travel in off-season. Sure, there have been times when we head down around 11am, and we have to share a chair or two between the 3 of us, but that is usually short lived. The only time I ever remember not finding anything was when the south pool was closed. Even then, it wasn't impossible.

I always laugh when I see folks holding chairs at 8am or earlier, mainly because we always seem to find a spot.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
am I the only one that has never had a problem at WKORV(N)? And I don't travel in off-season. Sure, there have been times when we head down around 11am, and we have to share a chair or two between the 3 of us, but that is usually short lived. The only time I ever remember not finding anything was when the south pool was closed. Even then, it wasn't impossible.

I always laugh when I see folks holding chairs at 8am or earlier, mainly because we always seem to find a spot.

Admittedly my sample is small (1 week) - but when we were at WKORV(N) a couple weeks ago during spring break we had no trouble getting chairs. Yes - they were not always the most desirable chairs, but there was no issue in finding a place to sit.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You have no trouble getting a chair at 11:00am because you went down at 7:00am and put a towel on each chair in a prime spots! You are the subject of this whole thread...:p

Just kidding.:)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The challenge at WLR is that the winds often mean umbrellas down, even the new attached to the pool deck umbrellas.

So on a windy day the chairs under the pergola are primo.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

ThreeLittleBirds

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have no trouble getting a chair at 11:00am because you went down at 7:00am and put a towel on each chair in a prime spots! You are the subject of this whole thread...:p

Just kidding.:)
Ha ha...if I were awake, maybe.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The new chair policy must be working, because there were dozens of chairs available on this sunny day at 2PM

Attachments

• IMG_0788.JPG
    IMG_0788.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 242

blondietink

Reaction score
It is shoulder season at Lagunamar, hence no problem finding lounges. However, we talked with one of the pool concierge and he said at certain times of the year it is crazy. People will get 20 chairs at 3 am for their group and line them up so close you can't even walk through the pool deck. He warned us never to come Thanksgiving week, Dec 15th - first week of January, President's week or any time in the spring break period.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just to add a fresh perspective, this was not nearly as bad as I expected this week at WKORV. Most days we had no problem finding chairs at any point, and yes, there were people up early to grab the shaded chairs under the umbrellas, but even those were still available for quite some time in the morning. They were actively handing out cards with 60 minute warnings pretty much on the hour starting at 8am and on the hour until i'd say 10-11am which definitely is helping. So overall, just wanted to share a positive experience on the chair front.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Define something else? When we go to the pool restaurant for lunch we don't take all our stuff and the towels with us. Looking around that dining room I think we are in the majority. Lunch takes about 45 mins.

Similarly a walk for a quick dip in the ocean. Not dragging all that with me and toting the beach back to my room.
You don't own the chairs. 45 minutes absence is enough to lose all rights to them...as state the rules a Westin Lagunamar. Why not just go save another group of chairs after lunch? Or are you just trying to disrupt the vacation enjoyment of others?

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Might not resorts solve this problem by tagging, say, half the chairs as "Not Reservable?"

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't own the chairs. 45 minutes absence is enough to lose all rights to them...as state the rules a Westin Lagunamar. Why not just go save another group of chairs after lunch? Or are you just trying to disrupt the vacation enjoyment of others?
Did I say I own the chairs?

And erm it's q timeshare, technically I own 1/52 / no. units, but who's splitting hairs.

Actually, second thoughts the WLR is Right to use. Bit like the chairs. Right to use with a 45 min allowance for going in the pool or the ocean or lunch.

I'm equally annoyed when the few infinity pool chairs in the shade are taken at 7 am.

Last edited:

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We were just at Hyatt in Maui and they reserve chairs for owners. It did not help me as we traded in within Hyatt but I thought it was a good idea. If I owned there I would
be upset if I could not get a chair. people were pretty friendly though and we never did have much of an issue as traders.

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Why did I read this thread? I am totally stressed out and not even at the resort. In fact, I don't ever think I can deal with something like this again. We had one run in years ago with chair hogs. They left magazines on two chairs. When they came back hours later, their magazines were neatly stacked on the side table. They were a bit miffed but found another place to sit.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We only ever had issues during spring break at Lagunamar and even then the attendants always took care of us by finding us chairs. When we went in Oct.it was a non issue.

elleny76

Reaction score
Tired of these people..... Every morning 1 or 2 of them holding the spots for 8 people. They keep these lounge chairs all day.
Can you wake up earlier than them?..That way you can have those seats and make a point to them. I don't know the rules in that resort but since this is an incident already the staff should enforce the rules. No one should reserved more that 2 seats. 8 seats is a lot and I just read they are owners(?) I doubt they are. We all in vacation please be kind and friendly.

Last edited:

lawboy2001

Reaction score
The irony is that the behaviour -- saving large numbers of chairs for hours when not in active use -- is what makes chairs scarce and leads people to....save large numbers of chairs for hours when not in active use. If people only claimed chairs they were currently using, there would be chairs opening up throughout the day and no one would likely have a problem finding chairs to use.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The irony is that the behaviour -- saving large numbers of chairs for hours when not in active use -- is what makes chairs scarce and leads people to....save large numbers of chairs for hours when not in active use. If people only claimed chairs they were currently using, there would be chairs opening up throughout the day and no one would likely have a problem finding chairs to use.
This drives me more insane in food courts and quick restaurants. I'm looking at the half of the family holding a table while the rest of at the back of a long line thinking I'll have eaten by the time you show up with food.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Anytime I encounter that now and when they tell me its their seat, I tell them I have been sitting here for hours and if it was your seat I would be sitting on top of you but since I'm sitting and you're standing, you must be mistaken.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Must go on record here. On my early morning walk last week, Westin Nanea, 7:30am Thursday October 12th 2017. Not a single towel on a single chair. Should have taken a photograph. Either a quiet week or Nanea is attracting a better class of visitor :clap: