• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chair Hogs

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Define something else? When we go to the pool restaurant for lunch we don't take all our stuff and the towels with us. Looking around that dining room I think we are in the majority. Lunch takes about 45 mins.

Similarly a walk for a quick dip in the ocean. Not dragging all that with me and toting the beach back to my room.

I say take your studd back to the room then or, ahem, something else. If you're not in the pool area swimming, you should not be saving chairs, period full stop.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I say take your studd back to the room then or, ahem, something else. If you're not in the pool area swimming, you should not be saving chairs, period full stop.
Yep in Lagunamar spend 20 minutes hiking back to your room and waiting for the elevator etc and the same hiking back.

Rock up at the restaurant with half a dozen towels and bags and stuff and say hi can we put this on the next table so you can't serve on that table. I don't see a towel check or bag check at the restaurants.

That's why the 45 minute rule exists.

Next suggestion?

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi MauiGirl ,
Since everyone was " a long time owner " - maybe they can have that clause in their contract :

that refers to OWNERSHIP OF CHAIRS at the pool .

I think it is subsection AH in most ownerships whether they own deeded fixed weeks. float weeks , RTU weeks or points .

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep in Lagunamar spend 20 minutes hiking back to your room and waiting for the elevator etc and the same hiking back.

Rock up at the restaurant with half a dozen towels and bags and stuff and say hi can we put this on the next table so you can't serve on that table. I don't see a towel check or bag check at the restaurants.

That's why the 45 minute rule exists.

Next suggestion?

I didn't realize the towels were like gold at that resort. Most resorts these days, you just toss them in a bin and get more when you need them. As for your other belongings, figure something else out. But hey, that's why the 45 min rule exists, so folks don't have to be inconvenienced or take responsibility for their belongings. So you win.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I would say one hour is not long enough to move someones towel. When we go to lunch we leave our stuff on the chairs and we are always gone a little more than an hour. If my stuff was moved by another person I would be pissed.

Define something else? When we go to the pool restaurant for lunch we don't take all our stuff and the towels with us. Looking around that dining room I think we are in the majority. Lunch takes about 45 mins.

Similarly a walk for a quick dip in the ocean. Not dragging all that with me and toting the beach back to my room.

IMHO if you are only taking up one or two chairs and are gone for your lunch or a walk for no more than say an hour and 15 minutes it shouldn't be an issue. What I think pretty much everyone objects to is the groups who take up a large block of chairs/lounges in the prime spots then spend the bulk of the time in their unit, eating, walking on the beach and swimming/playing in the pool. The chairs/lounges are used mostly as a place to put their stuff and they actually use them very little. If they would consolidate their stuff on one or two chairs it would be much appreciated by everyone.

I've observed that some people will claim a group of chairs/lounges knowing full well they won't really be used so they won't have strangers sitting close to them.

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think I need to define "something else". It's up to the individual but, if you're leaving for an extended time, leave the chairs open, it's just common courtesy.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize the towels were like gold at that resort. Most resorts these days, you just toss them in a bin and get more when you need them. As for your other belongings, figure something else out. But hey, that's why the 45 min rule exists, so folks don't have to be inconvenienced or take responsibility for their belongings. So you win.
I didn't realize that I was supposed to have laundry do a few dozen towels for me each day.

Especially when they have all.the signs in the room about saving the planet by washing the sheets and bath towels less often.

How much detergent, water and fossil fuel does washing each towels cost. It's measurable. I bet those board members at WSJ could tell you.

Beefnot

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize that I was supposed to have laundry do a few dozen towels for me each day.

Especially when they have all.the signs in the room about saving the planet by washing the sheets and bath towels less often.

How much detergent, water and fossil fuel does washing each towels cost. It's measurable. I bet those board members at WSJ could tell you.

I am touched by your concern for both the planet and the incremental burden your towels would place on the washing machines and staff. I now embrace the humanity, conservation, and genius of the 45 min rule, as well as the purely selfless consideration of guests like yourself. <sniffle>

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am touched by your concern for both the planet and the incremental burden your towels would place on the washing machines and staff. I now embrace the humanity, conservation, and genius of the 45 min rule, as well as the purely selfless consideration of guests like yourself. <sniffle>
Glad we got that sorted ;)

But seriously weren't the towel cards to stop over use of towels.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
But seriously weren't the towel cards to stop over use of towels.

The towel cards were implemented to stop guests from stealing or losing towels. You're supposed to exchange the card for actual towels at the beginning of your stay, and vice versa at the end of your stay to prove you turned the towels back in. During the week, guests simply exchange wet/dirty towels for clean ones on a 1:1 basis.

BTW, 45 minutes to go eat lunch at an on-site restaurant is fine if the resort is not busy, and rather rude if it's crowded and apparent that other guests are have issues finding chairs. I think the simple rule of thumb is that if you leave the pool area, you should vacate your chair.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I don't think I need to define "something else". It's up to the individual but, if you're leaving for an extended time, leave the chairs open, it's just common courtesy.

Common courtesy. Thank you for mentioning it. That's what is missing from the ignoramus chair hogs. It's also disappointing to hear that the resort staff don't have the resilience to enforce their own rules.

FWIW, I only use a pool chair when I'm...using it, or in the pool. At all other times I give it up. It really doesn't matter if it's a busy time at the resort or not, I just believe that's the decent thing to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The towel cards were implemented to stop guests from stealing or losing towels. You're supposed to exchange the card for actual towels at the beginning of your stay, and vice versa at the end of your stay to prove you turned the towels back in. During the week, guests simply exchange wet/dirty towels for clean ones on a 1:1 basis.
But then they stick the bill under your door at check out.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We usually eat lunch at the pool chair vs going to the restaurant.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
But then they stick the bill under your door at check out.

I've never had them bill for towels. Often I just leave the last days towels in the room and tell them upon checkout (either by phone or in person). But, I've never taken a towel or misplaced a towel card. Have you?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

The whole towel cards at Lagunamar seem to be smoke and mirrors. I have tried turning my cards in at the end of the stay and they either don't want them or don't bother to count them. They give me four at the beginning of the stay and I could perhaps only turn in two. Not saying I did, but quite possible since they just tossed them in to a box without counting.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've never had them bill for towels. Often I just leave the last days towels in the room and tell them upon checkout (either by phone or in person). But, I've never taken a towel or misplaced a towel card. Have you?

No in fact the process is no control whatsoever the checked in cards are on the counter. Often towels are on the counter. Early and late (before or after foto it are open) you can duck under the counter at the small pool and pick up towels. Between the four adults and two kids in our unit we had a dozen cards and a further half a dozen wet towels on the floor of the bathroom when we left. When you turn towels in they ask not count for the return of the cards. I could have stolen a dozen towels and still turned in 6 cards.

See I thought the cards were to discourage overuse of towels. A towel for your lounger, one as a rolled up pillow, one to dry you.

Finally, as others have said tip the pool staff and the above paragraph happens. Then your pool cards multiply.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
No in fact the process is no control whatsoever the checked in cards are on the counter. Often towels are on the counter. Early and late (before or after foto it are open) you can duck under the counter at the small pool and pick up towels. Between the four adults and two kids in our unit we had a dozen cards and a further half a dozen wet towels on the floor of the bathroom when we left. When you turn towels in they ask not count for the return of the cards. I could have stolen a dozen towels and still turned in 6 cards.

See I thought the cards were to discourage overuse of towels. A towel for your lounger, one as a rolled up pillow, one to dry you.

Finally, as others have said tip the pool staff and the above paragraph happens. Then your pool cards multiply.

I haven't been to Lagunamar in years and it sounds like management control of these issues has deteriorated to the point of making the towel cards rather silly. If they don't enforce their policies, why bother having them in the first place?

I see this happen at other resorts and some are better than others; however, it seems to be a constant struggle for the resorts to have a consistent policy and enforcement of it. Considering that the pool area is often one of the most used amenities at a resort, one would think the resorts would focus their attention so that it is fairly used by all rather than create policies that can be so easily circumvented, and compound that by having silly towel cards and leaving towels out for anyone to take.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not aiming to win. If I have staked out 4 chairs and am there and clearly see others on my party won't be using them for a while I'll give up chairs.

This is really about [self-centered people] self enforcing reasonableness in rules. Not exploiting loopholes and driving by every 45 mins to reset the clock (don't they have better things to do)

Also as one of the later departers from the pool I often see those claimed all day and with no use. They don't even bother collecting the towels.

In Lagunamar this can be a problem as the wind often means no umbrellas. Therefore the only shade is under the pergola constructions. If [self-centered people] stake that out and don't use it then others at the pool physically suffer in the heat.

Last edited:

Dargan1275

Reaction score
Just got back from 2 weeks at WKORV N +S and there were always pool lounges available at various times of the day-early morning, late morning, afternoon and evening. There was usually more availability at the north VS the South pool. There were also 2 different signs warning about leaving lounges unattended-one sign specifically said anything lounges left unattended for 60 minutes would have their items removed and the other sign did not give a specific time frame. As a matter of fact I saw a woman retrieving her things that were placed on lounge chairs by her son earlier that morning to hold the chairs. Someone from the resort removed the items placed on the chairs and brought them to the towel/activities center of the South pool.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Just got back from 2 weeks at WKORV N +S and there were always pool lounges available at various times of the day-early morning, late morning, afternoon and evening. There was usually more availability at the north VS the South pool. There were also 2 different signs warning about leaving lounges unattended-one sign specifically said anything lounges left unattended for 60 minutes would have their items removed and the other sign did not give a specific time frame. As a matter of fact I saw a woman retrieving her things that were placed on lounge chairs by her son earlier that morning to hold the chairs. Someone from the resort removed the items placed on the chairs and brought them to the towel/activities center of the South pool.
This strategy applied consistently would go a long way toward solving the problem.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Common courtesy. Thank you for mentioning it. That's what is missing from the ignoramus chair hogs. It's also disappointing to hear that the resort staff don't have the resilience to enforce their own rules.
I am surprised that some entrepreneurs have not made a mega-business of this. Reserve 50-60 chairs at 7 a.m., then rent them for $25/hour during the day. Then justify their actions by claiming, "Well, anyone else could have been there at 7 a.m. to reserve what they wanted."

Common courtesy -- what a concept.

ValleyGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #52
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK #1
WNOR-3BR OF ANN WK # 2
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WRMV-2BR ANN SKI
WSJ-3BR WK #26 (Jul 4th)
We were at Moana Surfrider on SPs in Jan. They have a reservation system with the chairs numbered. You can only reserve for the next day and one person can only reserve 2 chairs. There is a nominal cost but this discourages $8 for 1/2 day X 8 people = $64 to just keep chairs empty. Further out on the "public part" of beach people are free to set up their own chairs wherever they choose and for as long as they want. The same people who run reservations run towel exchange and "beach toys".
I really think owners should ctc their HOA and make this suggestion. It can be run as a revenue neutral service.:ponder: Bad behavior always occurs and needs to be curtailed.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I love the system at Lagunamar. They monitor chairs until 11 am and tag them if they aren't used. There were a few days
we couldn't find chairs even though it was before 11 and attendants rushed to move single lounges from the other side or other pool so we could get chairs together.
We tipped them for running around for us and we never were chairless the rest of the week. They also moved us to the front row when chairs became empty,
and arranged our chairs with pillows and multiple towels. We felt very pampered and so appreciated the efforts of the staff.