TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Car Rental Calgary

Discussion in 'Canada Timesharing' started by skimble, Jul 11, 2018.

1. skimble

skimble TUG Member

We are going to be renting a car out of Calgary and driving for 11 days. I noticed car rental prices at the airport are about 40% higher than the surrounding rental agencies.
    Do you have any trips/tips for avoiding the high cost at the airport?
    And, what outlets do you use for booking your car rentals? (for the best deal)
    My flight arrives at about 5pm on Saturday. (We need the car rental place to be open.)
    Thanks

2. Icc5

Icc5 TUG Member

We have been going thru Autoslash the past several years for great savings. We tried off site at one point and had a bad experience in Nashville so back to the airport for us. We usually first go to Costco Travel and then put it into Autoslash. On a 10-14 rental we have saved up to $240.
    Please let us know what you decide and the final result. Good luck. Oh, by the way, we loved Canmore,Baniff and the entire area.
    Bart

3. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Skimble,

You probably already noted this, but just in case you didn't be sure to note whether a quote is made in CAD (Canadian) or U.S. currency. The 1st quote I got for a recent rental in Vancouver was $645 - which I thought was quite high - until I realized that it was in Canadian currency. In U.S. currency, that quote converted to $485 (or so). As I was checking around the various car rental companies, there was no consistency to the default quote currency.

Enjoy your time in Calgary - that is an area we want to visit in the near future.

4. nomadio

nomadio TUG Member

Given that your flight arrives at 5 p.m. I think you will likely be stuck with an airport rental. I don't believe that any of the car rental places outside the airport would be open past 6 p.m. Feel free to check around but my experience has been that these places close by 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

5. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Part of the difference is the airport fee. The rental agencies will ask if you've arrived on a flight today and charge you the tax if you say yes.

I always used to joke with the guy at the counter in a western Calgary suburban location far from the airport at 6AM when I rented got work, but apparently they had to ask. (I live in Calgary).

6. skimble

skimble TUG Member

You're right... we are stuck getting a car from the airport.

7. skimble

skimble TUG Member

We are most likely going to book with Costco... I like that I'm seeing USD, and I'm seeing all taxes and fees included.
    I've seen some places quote by the week... not by the 11 days I want.
    I've seen other places quote by the day, but no taxes and fees.
    Renting a car is already a frustrating experience (proof of insurance, finding the best deal amid all the fake discounts, membership deals and coupons, and figuring out if they're open or not)... I think Costco does the best job of keeping it all straightforward.

8. moonstone

moonstone TUG Member

You could try doing a 1 day rental from the airport and then arrange to pick-up a car at one of the rental agencies in the city for the rest of the rental.

That's what our DS did when I went to Calgary in '13 (DH was working with DS after the big flood). DS wanted a mini-van so we could do some outings together but none were available the day I arrived with DGS. He booked a car with one of the major companies (can't remember which) for 1 day then the next day we drove to another location, not far from the airport, to pick-up the van, then back to the airport (we were staying right beside it) to return the car. All that took about an hour of our time and DS said the van rate from the 'city' location was quite a bit less than the airport rate. Since we had the van for nearly a month the savings were huge!

~Diane