• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car Rental Calgary

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be renting a car out of Calgary and driving for 11 days. I noticed car rental prices at the airport are about 40% higher than the surrounding rental agencies.
Do you have any trips/tips for avoiding the high cost at the airport?
And, what outlets do you use for booking your car rentals? (for the best deal)
My flight arrives at about 5pm on Saturday. (We need the car rental place to be open.)
Thanks

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to be renting a car out of Calgary and driving for 11 days. I noticed car rental prices at the airport are about 40% higher than the surrounding rental agencies.
Do you have any trips/tips for avoiding the high cost at the airport?
And, what outlets do you use for booking your car rentals? (for the best deal)
My flight arrives at about 5pm on Saturday. (We need the car rental place to be open.)
Thanks
We have been going thru Autoslash the past several years for great savings. We tried off site at one point and had a bad experience in Nashville so back to the airport for us. We usually first go to Costco Travel and then put it into Autoslash. On a 10-14 rental we have saved up to $240.
Please let us know what you decide and the final result. Good luck. Oh, by the way, we loved Canmore,Baniff and the entire area.
Bart

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Skimble,

You probably already noted this, but just in case you didn't be sure to note whether a quote is made in CAD (Canadian) or U.S. currency. The 1st quote I got for a recent rental in Vancouver was $645 - which I thought was quite high - until I realized that it was in Canadian currency. In U.S. currency, that quote converted to $485 (or so). As I was checking around the various car rental companies, there was no consistency to the default quote currency.

Enjoy your time in Calgary - that is an area we want to visit in the near future.

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that your flight arrives at 5 p.m. I think you will likely be stuck with an airport rental. I don't believe that any of the car rental places outside the airport would be open past 6 p.m. Feel free to check around but my experience has been that these places close by 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Part of the difference is the airport fee. The rental agencies will ask if you've arrived on a flight today and charge you the tax if you say yes.

I always used to joke with the guy at the counter in a western Calgary suburban location far from the airport at 6AM when I rented got work, but apparently they had to ask. (I live in Calgary).

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given that your flight arrives at 5 p.m. I think you will likely be stuck with an airport rental. I don't believe that any of the car rental places outside the airport would be open past 6 p.m. Feel free to check around but my experience has been that these places close by 6 p.m. on Saturday.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
You're right... we are stuck getting a car from the airport.

skimble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have been going thru Autoslash the past several years for great savings. We tried off site at one point and had a bad experience in Nashville so back to the airport for us. We usually first go to Costco Travel and then put it into Autoslash. On a 10-14 rental we have saved up to $240.
Please let us know what you decide and the final result. Good luck. Oh, by the way, we loved Canmore,Baniff and the entire area.
Bart
We are most likely going to book with Costco... I like that I'm seeing USD, and I'm seeing all taxes and fees included.
I've seen some places quote by the week... not by the 11 days I want.
I've seen other places quote by the day, but no taxes and fees.
Renting a car is already a frustrating experience (proof of insurance, finding the best deal amid all the fake discounts, membership deals and coupons, and figuring out if they're open or not)... I think Costco does the best job of keeping it all straightforward.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
You're right... we are stuck getting a car from the airport.

You could try doing a 1 day rental from the airport and then arrange to pick-up a car at one of the rental agencies in the city for the rest of the rental.

That's what our DS did when I went to Calgary in '13 (DH was working with DS after the big flood). DS wanted a mini-van so we could do some outings together but none were available the day I arrived with DGS. He booked a car with one of the major companies (can't remember which) for 1 day then the next day we drove to another location, not far from the airport, to pick-up the van, then back to the airport (we were staying right beside it) to return the car. All that took about an hour of our time and DS said the van rate from the 'city' location was quite a bit less than the airport rate. Since we had the van for nearly a month the savings were huge!

~Diane