• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cape cod shark attack - this time fatal

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Very sad.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We were just there. Visited the entire National Seashore, including the Wellfleet area. No way would I ever swim on those waters. Seals were rolling around very close to shore. The water was also incredibly rough.

Prayers go out for this young mans' soul and for his family and friends. Just horrible.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
So heartbreaking

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes, I’ve been to Wellfleet and as beautiful as it is the water was always too rough for me.
Prefer to sit on the shore and watch the waves crash.
Very sad for the family of the young victim.
Silentg

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is truly another very sad fatal shark attack story. Are sharks attacking more humans because the various fishing nations around the world are eliminating the sharks natural food chain in the oceans?:mad:

My prayers goes out to this young man and his family & friends.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
This is truly another very sad fatal shark attack story. Are sharks attacking more humans because the various fishing nations around the world are eliminating the sharks natural food chain in the oceans?

My prayers goes out to this young man and his family & friends.

No, there is an increase in the seal population which is the sharks natural food source. People swim near seals and are easily mistaken by the sharks, a person on a boogie board or surfboard looks like a seal from below.

There are signs here on the west coast to avoid swimming near seals.

There are also changes in the water temps that are moving the seals to different areas following the fish schools they feed on, thus attracting the sharks to new areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, there is an increase in the seal population which is the sharks natural food source. People swim near seals and are easily mistaken by the sharks, a person on a boogie board or surfboard looks like a seal from below.

There are signs here on the west coast to avoid swimming near seals.

There are also changes in the water temps that are moving the seals to different areas following the fish schools they feed on, thus attracting the sharks to new areas.

The Marine Mammal Protection Act (1970's?), while of noble objective to protect whales from being killed indiscriminately, for better or worse also created complete protection for seals, whether or not it was necessary or appropriate to do so.

As a result, on the ocean side of lower Cape Cod alone, from Chatham to Provincetown it is estimated that there are now somewhere between 35,000 -- 50,000 seals. It's no real surprise that sharks are now there in ever increasing numbers. Why wouldn't they be? It's a virtual "all you can eat buffet" there now for them, 24/7.

Each individual seal reportedly eats 10 or more pounds of fish per day; that might provide some insight into why the inshore marine fish stocks have been completely decimated in the areas where seals are abundant (and multiplying).

If you have ever been just "downwind" of a seal colony (...and yes, I have), the stench is simply indescribable.

My late beloved Dad told me that back in the day, fisherman (and anyone else) would get paid (at the local town clerk office) a bounty for every individual nose of a dead seal delivered to the town offices. I seem to recall him saying that the "bounty" paid was a nickel or a dime, per nose. lt seems that things have changed a bit since then; now we protect all seals despite the horrific ecological imbalance that has been unintentionally created by their complete protection. :ponder:

Last edited: