• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2014 ] Cancelling a Westgate Timeshare [merged]

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I am also sending the original resciding document by both FedEx and DHL so hopefully one of those will get there in time.
It doesn't have to get anywhere "on time." The fact that you sent your rescission within the rescission time period and can prove it with your receipt is the key.

Do let us know what happens.

Trucks

Reaction score
What next?

"4. They are not obligated to provide any written confirmation or verification of any sort, despite your overt request for same. Their only obligation is to process your rescission and issue full refund of your deposit (the refund could take up to 45 days). They might send you something, but they are not legally obligated to do so."

We have sent the rescission letter registered mail for our timeshare folly to the Ocoee address as well as the place where we bought the timeshare. We returned the book here as well with a copy of the letter. We are within the 5 day period. I understand from all of the posts that this is all that has to be done and that they will probably not do it quickly or inform you that they have, so my questions is: How do I know that they have actually followed through with the rescission? Obviously I do not want to make a payment that would be due in the 45 day period. Do I just let it go past due and hope they have followed through?

Thank you everyone for all your information. You saved us!

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
About the only way to be sure is when the refund of your down payment is credited to your credit card or bank account (depending on how you tendered payment). Don't make any payments. It will just give them ammunition that you 'didn't really mean to rescind'.

Relax and go have a beer. Thieves and liars that Wastegate is, they won't go blatantly against the law.

Welcome to TUG. (just for the tally, how much did we save you?)

Jim

Trucks

Reaction score
About the only way to be sure is when the refund of your down payment is credited to your credit card or bank account (depending on how you tendered payment). Don't make any payments. It will just give them ammunition that you 'didn't really mean to rescind'.

Relax and go have a beer. Thieves and liars that Wastegate is, they won't go blatantly against the law.

Welcome to TUG. (just for the tally, how much did we save you?)

Jim
Thanks! $18K

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are within the 5 day period. I understand from all of the posts that this is all that has to be done and that they will probably not do it quickly or inform you that they have, so my questions is: How do I know that they have actually followed through with the rescission?

Since this is the FL forum, I am going to assume that you bought in FL. TBS and JFTR, you have 10 days to rescind. That's probably a moot point right now seeing that you sent your rescission letter within five days.

As for knowing if they got your rescission letter or not, one sure-fire way to know is that a sales person or someone else from the resort will call you trying to get you to reverse your decision to rescind. It's at this point that we advise all people here who ask about their rescission, to not take any phone calls from anyone you do not know while your rescission request is being processed. The person might leave a message claiming that it's urgent for you to call back in order to proceed with the rescission. NO! Stay off the phone.

And I'm glad that TUG helped save you $18,000 in addition to all the maintenance fees as well as what it might cost you to get rid of once you're tired of Westgate's antics.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on not answering or returning unknown phone calls. No good can come of it. They'll counter any argument you have. These clowns are trained to 'save the sale'.

If Timeshare still has interest to you, stick around TUG. Learn. Be an informed consumer. We suggest you rent a few times for upcoming vacations- in fact you can often rent for less than the cost of annual maintenance fees and with no ongoing obligation.

Glad we could help.

besitos0385

Reaction score
I need help I signed up with Westgate on Monday I than read all bad reviews and what made it worse me and my husband got hit with a hard inquiry on our credit after being advised they wouldn't pull our credit and they lied to our faces I was so upset. I didn't have to put a down upfront but I canceled my credit card and I also had sent letter the next day Tuesday certified mail usps and I received notification it was received and signed for just to be sure on Wednesday I went to the timeshare resort in person with my husband and provided the guy who notarized our contract Monday who I was advised was also management a copy of cancelation letter. At one point he mention the briefcase, I told him I know if I don't return it they will charge me 50.00 that I already read the reviews than he had the nerve to say of u read the reviews why are you here cause I came to give him letter I told him I just came for me.He than he left the office we were in and he came back advising me that he called corporate and was advised they received my letter than when I asked him if it was canceled he said yes than I ask if I can get a letter stating it canceled he said that has to do with corporate not him. On the way driving back home from Orlando after leaving there office I called and the representative on the phone advised me no that it has not been canceled as of yet! so again I was lied to. I am sending 2nd letter certified mail today with copies that shows that my 1st letter was received and signed for. My question is how long does it take for them to cancel my contract? It Thursday and I'm still on my 10days

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
QUIT TALKING TO THEM! No good comes from talking to them. They got your letter. It will be cancelled. RELAX. It can take up to 45 days for a refund- but if you didn't give them anything to refund, just assume that it's a done deal. Sleazy as Wastegate is, they don't dare mess with a rescission letter. The law requires it, but the law doesn't require keeping you (the buyer) informed about the progress of the rescission.

They just lost an appeal of a suit for lying and promising things they couldn't deliver. $600,000 that cost them, so they may be stinging a little- but don't expect a skunk to change it's stripes.

Send their lousy briefcase back- it isn't worth $5, let alone $50.

Relax, go have a beer. Welcome to TUG. Now do some reading about resale timeshares. So how much did what you read on TUG save you?

Jim

Licha

Reaction score
Need Help TOO

So I bought mine July 26, 2015 and I just got to the conclusion that
this is a bad idea.
I am sending all my info today.
What did they tell you about the materials that need to be sent back?
Can we send them back after the 10 day period?

Thanks

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I bought mine July 26, 2015 and I just got to the conclusion that
this is a bad idea.
I am sending all my info today.
What did they tell you about the materials that need to be sent back?
Can we send them back after the 10 day period?

Thanks

Just add a note to the bottom of your rescission letter, "Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover." To our knowledge nobody will check, but send it parcel post, mule train, slow boat, smoke signals, or whatever you find cheapest, and keep the receipt showing it's been sent.

Glad you found us.

Jim

Licha

Reaction score
Can you help me too?

I bought mine on July 26, 2015.
I am sending my letter today.

Is that okay?
What did they say about the material when do they need to be sent?

Thanks so much.

Licha

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I need to re do it since I already sealed the envelopes :(
But, I did put on the letter " Where should I be sending materials that were given to me" Do you think that is okay?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I need to re do it since I already sealed the envelopes :(
But, I did put on the letter " Where should I be sending materials that were given to me" Do you think that is okay?

It will probably be fine. Just keep the receipt you get when you send their crap back in case they try to withhold or bill you about $50 for it.

Now- get to the post office. Send it certified with return receipt to the address in Ocoee FL.

Oh in case you missed it in other posts, STAY OFF THE PHONE! Nothing good can come of any conversation with them.

Licha

Reaction score
Thank you so much.
Do you think its okay to send it tomorrow the materials since
I am at work right now and do not have them.
They also gave me a tablet, I think I should be sending that
back too huh?

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Send back everything that you don't want to spend $10's of thousands for. Insure the tablet. Keep the receipt.

As long as you send it within 7 calendar days, you can dilly-dally all you want, but the sooner it's gone, the better you'll sleep, and the sooner the 45 day clock starts to get your down payment back.

I can't understand why people come here all panicked, wanting help 'cause they spent many thousands of bux on something worth less than nothing, then want to wait until the last minute to cancel. It's like deer in the headlights.

Getcher stuff and send it back! Unless you make a helluva lot at work, you'll make more by mailing that rescission letter than you'll ever make working for a few hours.

Jim

Pole D

Reaction score
Happy to have found this place and this thread in particular.

Wife and I purchase a 2br 2ba biannual at Westgate Palace in Orlando just this past Wednesday, August 12. Price was $10,215

Cancellation letter is being mailed today certified with return receipt. Owner's kit is also going back separately. I did not include a copy of the contract but included contract/account number, stated that we are cancelling, requested they refund the $500 deposit to my Discover card and we both signed the letter. The letter was mailed to the Ocoee address per the “Contract for Purchase and Sale”.

So here is to hopefully saving $10,215! :whoopie:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wife and I purchase a 2br 2ba biannual at Westgate Palace in Orlando just this past Wednesday, August 12. Price was $10,215

Cancellation letter is being mailed today certified with return receipt. Owner's kit is also going back separately. I did not include a copy of the contract but included contract/account number, stated that we are cancelling, requested they refund the $500 deposit to my Discover card and we both signed the letter. The letter was mailed to the Ocoee address per the “Contract for Purchase and Sale”.

Congratulations!

It looks like you crossed the 'T's and dotted the 'I's. Pat yourself on the back and buy yourself a beer. You deserve it.

If TS still interests you, do some reading around TUG, and after you feel comfortable that you have the basics, rent a couple of times to get the feel for different systems, and if it still feels right, go shopping for a resale. No hurry, if you bought one tomorrow, it wouldn't be transferred into your name for this year's use, and resales are becoming more available, not less.

Welcome to TUG.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score

...plus maintenance fees, possible special assessments, other peripheral travel costs, a barrage of unsolicited phone calls promising to sell your TS for zillions of dollars, etc.

Speaking of unsolicited phone calls, you might receive one in the near future from the resort or sales person begging you to reverse your decision to rescind. We TUGgers usually recommend to people in your position to not take any phone calls from unfamiliar numbers. Remember, Westgate has up to 45 days to refund your money once it gets your rescission letter. If you don't see a refund (or credit on your credit card) right away, don't panic and start calling the resort or Westgate headquarters because you will probably get put through the wringers again like you were when you attended that sales presentation.

Pole D

Reaction score
Congratulations!

It looks like you crossed the 'T's and dotted the 'I's. Pat yourself on the back and buy yourself a beer. You deserve it.

If TS still interests you, do some reading around TUG, and after you feel comfortable that you have the basics, rent a couple of times to get the feel for different systems, and if it still feels right, go shopping for a resale. No hurry, if you bought one tomorrow, it wouldn't be transferred into your name for this year's use, and resales are becoming more available, not less.

Welcome to TUG.

TS does still interest my wife and I. We should have taken a step back and really looked things over prior to making our mistake. Luckily we are out of it now and we very much look forward to learning about them on this forum and learning how to best use the benefits that are offered by TS.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
TS does still interest my wife and I. We should have taken a step back and really looked things over prior to making our mistake. Luckily we are out of it now and we very much look forward to learning about them on this forum and learning how to best use the benefits that are offered by TS.

First lesson: FORGET YOU EVER HEARD OF WASTEGATE! They are lying thieves with no redeeming qualities.

Pole D

Reaction score
...plus maintenance fees, possible special assessments, other peripheral travel costs, a barrage of unsolicited phone calls promising to sell your TS for zillions of dollars, etc.

Speaking of unsolicited phone calls, you might receive one in the near future from the resort or sales person begging you to reverse your decision to rescind. We TUGgers usually recommend to people in your position to not take any phone calls from unfamiliar numbers. Remember, Westgate has up to 45 days to refund your money once it gets your rescission letter. If you don't see a refund (or credit on your credit card) right away, don't panic and start calling the resort or Westgate headquarters because you will probably get put through the wringers again like you were when you attended that sales presentation.

Yeah. I've already warned my wife about the possible phone calls. Told her to just let everything go to voicemail.

Guess the next step is to call Discover and let them know that I am expecting a refund from Westgate and that I will be disputing the charge
if the refund isn't processed by Westgate.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jailhouse escape...

Well done and congratulations! :clap:

There is no "hopefully" necessary here. Westgate (like any and every U.S. developer direct-selling timeshares) is required by applicable state law to process a timely and properly submitted rescission (cancellation) and issue a full refund of any deposit paid (...although that last part could conceivably and lawfully take up to 45 days).

You are wise and very fortunate to now be able to stay far, far away from the slimy likes of Westgate --- forever! If timeshares interest you, first spend a few months educating yourself on all the details and nuances. If you buy, do so only in the resale market (and not any Wastegate "product", even if available to you for free).

Last edited:

Pole D

Reaction score
Yeah. I've already warned my wife about the possible phone calls. Told her to just let everything go to voicemail.

Guess the next step is to call Discover and let them know that I am expecting a refund from Westgate and that I will be disputing the charge
if the refund isn't processed by Westgate.

Well things are going according to plan. Here's the timeline:

Purchased on 8/12/15
Letter sent on 8/14/15
Letter delivered on 8/17/15
Phone call on 8/18/15

The guy who went through all of the closing documents with us called my wife. You know the guy that the is licensed in FL and therefore is there to help us and is on our side. The one that didn't point out that we had 10 days to rescind but instead told us when we sign the contract it's a done deal and there's no turning back. Anyhow, my wife didn't answer and he left a message saying the letter was sent to him and that he needs to talk to her and or me so he can continue with the reimbursement of the down payment. My wife is really tempted to call him back but I just keep telling her NO!

On an interesting note, I read the fine print of the "Contract of Purchase and Sale". The last sentence of paragraph 4 "Cancellation of Contract" states "The refund shall be made within twenty (20) days of demand therefor by Purchaser, or within five (5) days after receipt of funds from the Purchaser's cleared check, whichever is later."

Now we'll wait for him to call again!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
The Salesperson has NO control or input regarding your recession - a completely different department handles that - he has no say in it.

All he is doing is damage control - he is going to to whine, threaten, lie, cajole, sweeten the pot - what ever it takes to talk you out of rescinding and get his commission.

Don't call him - unless you want to be lied to again….

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
<snip>...I read the fine print of the "Contract of Purchase and Sale". The last sentence of paragraph 4 "Cancellation of Contract" states "The refund shall be made within twenty (20) days of demand therefor by Purchaser, or within five (5) days after receipt of funds from the Purchaser's cleared check, whichever is later."

All well and good, but that's a more stringent time frame than is identified within applicable law. A little research here on TUG will reveal to you a number of wise and happy rescinding Wastegate buyers who did not ultimately have their refunds firmly in hand for very nearly the full 45 days maximum which applicable law ultimately allows.

I hope that your refund is a promptly issued exception, but I wouldn't spend it quite yet... ;)

Last edited: