• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canceled at last Minute

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hi Tuggers,
We had planned a stay at Fairfield Glade, Tennessee at the Wyndahm for New Years.
We went to the airport in Orlando, to take a short flight to Nashville. But our flight was delayed and the excuses were odd, no plane, no flight attendant, mechanical problems.
We decided to cancel had a bad feeling.
Contacted RCI and the resort, canceled the flight, rental car, and went home.
Disappointed but found out the flight left at 2 am and with the hour difference arrived at 3 am Nashville time( but 4 am Orlando time)
Better to drive up, which we will do next time.
Happy New Year!
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Again- I so hate flying! If we can drive in 8 hours or less- driving wins.

Sorry you had to give up your vacation.

Happy New Year going forward!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

Heck, we drove 2 RT's from Florida to Tennessee in November.
... 1x for a week in Gatlinburg & 1x for a funeral in Knoxville.
But spending 9-10 hours on the road each way is oppressive.

Last edited:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
My daughter drove us to Orlando recently for a single day at WDW. We are near Knoxville, about the same distance as Nashville. I would not have considered going along, but she needed a second adult with two toddlers.

For what it's worth, New Years in Fairfield Glade might be pretty dismal. We've seen some decent days in December, but the state has set records for rain this year. It has been raining about six days out of any given week. Fairfield Glade is on the plateau, where you could get snow and/or ice instead of rain. There probably isn't much going on in the area for the holiday. It would be a good place to visit in the Spring or Fall, but not this time of year.

Sheila

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi Tuggers,
We had planned a stay at Fairfield Glade, Tennessee at the Wyndahm for New Years.
We went to the airport in Orlando, to take a short flight to Nashville. But our flight was delayed and the excuses were odd, no plane, no flight attendant, mechanical problems.
We decided to cancel had a bad feeling.
Contacted RCI and the resort, canceled the flight, rental car, and went home.
Disappointed but found out the flight left at 2 am and with the hour difference arrived at 3 am Nashville time( but 4 am Orlando time)
Happy New Year!
Silentg
Sorry you didn’t get there. I only fly when I have no other choices. I hate when the flights are delayed or cancelled, even worse is when you are stuck in the plane for hours on the ground.

We drive up to 15 hours places usually with a overnight stop. Up to 11 hours we usually do in a day. We also use Amtrak if we can. Planned far enough in advance and you can get a sleeper very reasonably.

I believe follow your gut so I get it. Enjoy your New Years at Home.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year (summer 2017) we took a trip to New England. We were supposed to fly from the west coast to Philadelphia, with a connecting flight to our final destination in Burlington VT (BTV). The plan was to arrive in BTV mid-evening, meet up with other family members there who took different flights (routing through a different city), and start our vacation with them the next morning.

The other family members made it to BTV that evening as planned. Unfortunately for us, bad weather grounded us in Philly and the connecting flights kept getting delayed until they finally told us at 7 PM that we wouldn't be able to get out until late the next afternoon. Not to be deterred, we executed Plan B. We abandoned the last leg of our flight, hopped over to the rental cars, and drove the 8 hours to BTV. Got there at 3 AM, slept for a few hours, and started our vacation with the rest of the group right on schedule.

Happy New Year!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Ours was a short trip, so we decided to go home. We will go again but by car. Lesson learned.
Also, we heard the weather was terrible and it’s nice at home.
We made the right decision.
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Last year (summer 2017) we took a trip to New England. We were supposed to fly from the west coast to Philadelphia, with a connecting flight to our final destination in Burlington VT (BTV). The plan was to arrive in BTV mid-evening, meet up with other family members there who took different flights (routing through a different city), and start our vacation with them the next morning.

The other family members made it to BTV that evening as planned. Unfortunately for us, bad weather grounded us in Philly and the connecting flights kept getting delayed until they finally told us at 7 PM that we wouldn't be able to get out until late the next afternoon. Not to be deterred, we executed Plan B. We abandoned the last leg of our flight, hopped over to the rental cars, and drove the 8 hours to BTV. Got there at 3 AM, slept for a few hours, and started our vacation with the rest of the group right on schedule.

Happy New Year!

A lot of stamina!

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
A lot of stamina!

We kept a good humor through it all. Even joked that we were really on "The Amazing Race" and were on one of those episodes where a team missed a flight and then had to catch up!

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It good that one can take driving for 8 or more hours in good humor.

It takes us about 9 hours (ea. way) for the annual treks that my wife insists we take to see family in Knoxville, TN. The I-75 corridor in Georgia is boring (not as boring as Kansas, but...), and then there's the fun part of driving thru Atlanta. I see these trips as a punishment to which I've been sentenced for some reason. I'd rather be pulling tree limbs out of the back yard. <sigh>

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

It takes us about 9 hours (ea. way) for the annual treks that my wife insists we take to see family in Knoxville, TN. The I-75 corridor in Georgia is boring (not as boring as Kansas, but...), and then there's the fun part of driving thru Atlanta. I see these trips as a punishment to which I've been sentenced for some reason. I'd rather be pulling tree limbs out of the back yard. <sigh>

I feel for you, we take an annual holiday trip from SoCal to wife’s family in Phoenix area, the desert SW is just as boring looking at the same cacti.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains

Be sure to stop at Georgia exit 109 at the "We're Nutz" store. It's a great break: lots of samples, clean restrooms, very good ice cream (cheap, too).

As for Atlanta, timing is everything. Avoid rush hours, and if there are enough of you, hit the HOV lane all the way through town. Other than getting TWO windshields cracked there through the years, it's usually not too bad unless our timing is off.

I get a little bored on the drive to Florida from just north of Knoxville, but we have routine stops. Going south, Costco just over the GA line for a cheap gas refill and a rest room stop. Exit 109 in GA for the nut store and to fill up at a Pilot. If it's open, the FL welcome center for orange juice.

Coming north, instead of Costco (which is usually closed) we stop at exit 11 Ooltewah for the cheapest gas.

There are interesting things you could see along the way, but we are usually in a rush to get to our destination.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... There are interesting things you could see along the way, but we are usually in a rush to get to our destination.

I hear that. We like to point out exits where we stopped in the past.
Usually, it's to note the Cracker Barrels where we've dined at before.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score

For sure. But it was either that or be stranded in Philly and miss out on the first day of activities, which were substantial. The latter was not going to be an option, so we just had to get it done. What was actually nice about it was the lack of traffic and thus the peacefulness of the drive since it happened at night.

For us, the drive from hell is from San Diego to San Francisco (also about 9 hours) to see the in-laws, and having to slog through Los Angeles. But when we go at night, the freeways are wide open and it's a breeze.

At least they're finally starting to open some Cracker Barrels in CA. :thumbup:

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Our annual "pain" is the 1000 miles from home to Hyannis MA to catch the Nantucket ferry. Some years we stop at a timeshare, coming or going, for part or all of a week to break up the drive. The problem is that we are running out of new places we want to try along the way and our favorites all seem to be hard to get into.

Sheila

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Our annual "pain" is the 1000 miles from home to Hyannis MA to catch the Nantucket ferry...

That is a long drive.
I'm of a age where I'd rather spend the $$ to fly, than spend all day (let alone 2) driving.

This Summer, we drive from Florida to Kill Devil Hills (the Outer Banks.)
On the way up, Florence, SC, seems to be a logical stopping place for us.
But coming back, I want to stay between Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a long drive.
I'm of a age where I'd rather spend the $$ to fly, than spend all day (let alone 2) driving.

Flying isn't really an option due to cost. Our daughter flew there one year to join us and got stuck on the island for two extra nights due to a flight cancellation. We were already off island when the cancellation happened. No help from the airline. She and her husband spent a fortune for lodging the first night because we couldn't find them anywhere to stay. A friend took them in the 2nd night. We also accumulate a lot of things (antiques and other treasures) while we're there, so we usually come back with a very full van.

Sheila

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Flying isn't really an option due to cost. Our daughter flew there one year to join us and got stuck on the island for two extra nights due to a flight cancellation. We were already off island when the cancellation happened. No help from the airline. She and her husband spent a fortune for lodging the first night because we couldn't find them anywhere to stay. A friend took them in the 2nd night. We also accumulate a lot of things (antiques and other treasures) while we're there, so we usually come back with a very full van.

Sheila
Shiela,
We are originally from Massachusetts too, we used to drive up from Central Florida every summer when the kids were young. Visited all the relatives, South Shore, North Shore, Friends etc. used to stay with my parents mostly, they would come down here in the winter, they passed away and are kids are grown and on their own. We still visit but usually shorter time and we also go to timeshares in New England.
We are going to Cape Cod for two weeks in the fall. Things change as time goes by, but we still love to travel.
Silentg