• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canadian Renting their U.S. timeshare

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort-Weeks 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
I rented out my lock out unit in Florida for the first time this year. The resort rented it for me. They took 25% off so my portion was almost the amount I had paid in Maintenance fee the whole unit.

When they paid me my portion off the rental they deducted 30% tax. The tax took a big chunk of the money.

How do I get this back?

Thanks

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
So the next question is, did the resort get YOU more money than you would have if you rented it on TUG or thru another WEB site?

You can reply via PM ... as I too own at that resort.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can claim it as a credit on your Canadian taxes under the US/Canada tax treaty.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bizaro86

Have you ever had to do this?

Did you rent a timeshare in the U.S. and pay U.S tax deduction?

Thanks

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bizaro86

Have you ever had to do this?

Did you rent a timeshare in the U.S. and pay U.S tax deduction?

Thanks

No, but I have claimed the foreign tax credit on my Canadian return for income I earned from US sources that had taxes withheld on it.

More information directly from the CRA here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns409-485/405-eng.html

Essentially, you would need to claim any income earned from the rental on your Canadian return, (which might not be much after maintenance fees) and then you can claim the US tax paid as a credit, which should reduce your taxes paid by the same amount.

You have to fill out form T2209, but any of the regular tax software (or your accountant) can easily do that.

**Not an accountant, and this isn't professional advice**

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, that is a big help.

I know I have stock that is listed on the New York Stock exchange, and I had to do something similar.

Thanks again

mindface

TUG Member
Reaction score
Alternatively, you can claim it as a credit on your Canadian taxes under the US/Canada tax treaty.

Really good to know that trick, as it may be easiest solution (avoiding IRS all together). But, since owner's rental income barely covers MF, shouldn't owner tried to get the money back from IRS, instead of having CRA crediting owner back?

Anyhow, seems we shall just use all the weeks we have ourselves at the 1st place...

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Really good to know that trick, as it may be easiest solution (avoiding IRS all together). But, since owner's rental income barely covers MF, shouldn't owner tried to get the money back from IRS, instead of having CRA crediting owner back?

Anyhow, seems we shall just use all the weeks we have ourselves at the 1st place...

I would say since the total tax paid remains the same and one option is materially less work, "should" is a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure how much time I'd spend to ensure a few hundred dollars got transferred (effectively) from the US govt to the Canadian govt, but it wouldn't be much. YMMV.

Quinte

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch
Hyatt Beach House
Hyatt Portfolio Points
This is just the question I wanted to ask. How did it work out for you? Which route did you go? I'm in the middle of working with IRS to file non-resident due to the sale of a timeshare, and it appears to take about a year to have the whole thing processed.

BM243923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have tried to report it on my income tax form, but just deleted the entry as it caused errors in my income tax form and would not let me file. I will call the tax dept and see if they can figure it out.