• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can someone explain walking a reservation

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've picked up some great advice here like saving the cancellation fees my moving a reservation out 30 days but have yet to figure out how exactly to walk a reservation. While I don't think it's going to be a regular occurance, I may want to stay in a high demand location during a peak demand time on a club reservation. What's the step by step process to walk the reservation? I tried searching for the answer in the forum, but didn't find the answer, so I apologize if this has been covered many times before.

Thanks.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As you know, the club booking window is 276 days long with a 3N minimum.
At Midnight ET* (HGVC moves the window by 1 day), book 3N at the tail-end.
-- If you get MT 3N, great, but that's the earliest you can make that booking.
Each night (at Midnight ET*), you can tack another day onto your booking.

*Note: HGVC's day begins at Midnight ET, but you may have to wait a few minutes.

Clear as mud?

Last edited:

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
Theoretically you can start “walking” a reservation when ever you want. For example if you wanted Christmas week, during February you could book into November. Book the last possible week you can book and every day at midnight you add a day to the end as it becomes available and take a day off the front. This way, every day you “walk” your reserved week forward one day.

Timing can be very important. If you start too far out, you run the risk of running into a day or more with no availability as it’s been all booked up by owners at the 12 month mark. Start too late and all the new availability is gone being walked by someone else. It can be a frustrating process if you run into a road block.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Walking won’t help with event weeks, they are already booked by the system for owners, you will only pick those up when they get canceled by the owner.

The system has the inventory loaded in weeks. During home season only the full week can be booked. Once club season open the full weeks can get broken up by shorter club bookings. Starting a walk long before the week you want is a waste of time. The best day for starting a walk is the Thursday before the week you want, book the 3 day minimum Thurs-Fri-Sat. This will break up the full Sat-Sat week you want so the extra days are just sitting there for the taking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I understand the concept.

Total example, obviously won't work, but makes the dates easy. Let's say I want to check in to a place on January 1, so a little before April 1, i need to make a three day reservation for as close to Jan 1 as I can. And every night at midnight Eastern, I should be on the computer adding days at the end, and subtracting days at the front. Repeate this process as many times as I need until I get the week I want?

Just curious, what is the average sucess rate of this hack? Obviously depends on what you're booking and when, but just curious. I work shift work, so being up at midnight as actually not an issue at all.

Thanks again. Always learn so much here.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Just curious, what is the average sucess rate of this hack? Obviously depends on what you're booking and when, but just curious. I work shift work, so being up at midnight as actually not an issue at all.

Thanks again. Always learn so much here.

I have had great success, I think it's worked every time I used it.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have had great success, I think it's worked every time I used it.

Thanks. How far in advance do you start the walk? In my example of January 1 check in, when would you start the process? March 28? March 25? I am sure there is no set answer.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. How far in advance do you start the walk? In my example of January 1 check in, when would you start the process? March 28? March 25? I am sure there is no set answer.

Where are you booking, it won’t work for Hawaii, Vegas, or Park City. Jan 1st is part of week 52 Event Week at those locations.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you booking, it won’t work for Hawaii, Vegas, or Park City. Jan 1st is part of week 52 Event Week at those locations.

I was just using Jan 1 as an example to make the math easy. It could be any date.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was just using Jan 1 as an example to make the math easy. It could be any date.

I use three things, the Vacation Planning Calculator, Resort Seasons calendar here:

https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/help/resources

and a spreadsheet with 2 columns. One column for every check out day, then one column with check out day minus 276 labeled booking day. For your example I would book a 3 day 27th to 30th, then walk it to include the Jan 1. As I said before, start on the Thursday prior to the Saturday of the week you want.

2f6c72560031b38af95f3bca7f4a41f1.jpg

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use three things, the Vacation Planning Calculator, Resort Seasons calendar here:

https://club.hiltongrandvacations.com/en/help/resources

and a spreadsheet with 2 columns. One column for every check out day, then one column with check out day minus 276 labeled booking day. For your example I would book a 3 day 27th to 30th, then walk it to include the Jan 1. As I said before, start on the Thursday prior to the Saturday of the week you want.

2f6c72560031b38af95f3bca7f4a41f1.jpg

The running spreadsheet is a great idea!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I realize Jan 1 was just an example, but this brings up a possible corner case where this will not work. A changeable reservation can only be modified to be in the same calendar year, so I don't think you are able to "walk" a reservation across the Dec 31 / Jan 1 boundary.

Has anyone tried this?

Kurt

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
My spreadsheet has a few more columns, and I do six mos. side-by-side.
This is for 2019...

upload_2018-3-5_18-33-59.png

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Talent, any way you would be willing to share your spreadsheet with us?

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Talent, any way you would be willing to share your spreadsheet with us?

Here's a link to a sheet in Google Docs (no registration needed):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YcVnlzuy8G18CkxH0c8Beuv-4YzwNA00tqbb_7Ws10o/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a link to a static HTML page in Google Docs:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...OgRv0C-ydNtYl8l-O2spDuRtFd4SCaSwtedwT/pubhtml

Notes:
There may be errors in seasons assigned to a few resorts.
I ignored Las Palmeras' extra platinum weeks, for example.
You need to consult HGVC to be sure which season applies.

Last edited:

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
How dose this work, exactly?

Someone with greater knowledge will hopefully correct any of this that needs correcting, but any online club reservation is changable with no fee. If you need to cancel a reservation with in 30 days, change it first (free) to be more than 30 days away. Then cancel it. This way you only lose your club reservation fee and save your point penalty.

Note this doesn't work if changing the reservation pushes any part of it into the next calendar year (about three posts up discusses this issue), but seems like a great hack to save your points, should something come up last minute.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
(searching for HGVC resale 5.8-8.4k, preferably Valdoro)
Thanks for posting that spreadsheet, very helpful! Now I just need to find a timeshare to buy LOL

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you need to cancel a reservation with in 30 days, change it first (free) to be more than 30 days away. Then cancel it. This way you only lose your club reservation fee and save your point penalty.

Also: If you are within 30 days out and instead of cancelling, you only want to reduce the # of points used, you can change the dates to more than 30 days out (within the calendar year), then change back (at a small risk of losing the original dates). If necessary, you can also change the resort using a link near the bottom of the change-page.

I was able to change a November booking to a December booking in Orlando (with wide availability) and then back again, just for this purpose.

These options are why, IMHO, paying a cancellation fee is foolish, unless one is so near the end of the year that a change to MT 30 days out may not be possible.

Last edited:

WildCat45

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a dumb newbie question: Can I make 2019 reservations with 2018 points (without paying to roll the points)? I ask because I'm working on enrolling my Scotland weeks into the club, so by the time that happens the likelihood of having anything good left in 2018 is going to be small.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
To use 2018 points for a club-booking in 2019, you must first bank ("save") the points, for a fee.

However, using RCI, you can make a reservation in 2018 for 2019 without saving the points.
RCI will draw the points first from 2018 and then, if more are needed, from 2019.
..... that includes using RCI to book a HGVC resort.

If you cancel the RCI booking in 2019, you may deposit the 2018 points to the RCI program.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
This is a dumb newbie question: Can I make 2019 reservations with 2018 points (without paying to roll the points)? I ask because I'm working on enrolling my Scotland weeks into the club, so by the time that happens the likelihood of having anything good left in 2018 is going to be small.
I don’t think so. If you already own the Scotland units, it shouldn’t take more than a week or two to enroll them in HGVC. Because I already had an account it only took 3 days for the units to show up in my account once the purchase had gone through. Then all you do is call HGVC and tell them you’d like to trade your week for points and it happens instantly.

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar
To use 2018 points for a club-booking in 2019, you must first bank ("save") the points, for a fee.

However, using RCI, you can make a reservation in 2018 for 2019 without saving the points.
RCI will draw the points first from 2018 and then, if more are needed, from 2019.

If you cancel the RCI booking in 2019, you may deposit the 2018 points to the RCI program.

Saving 2018 Point for 2019 booking vs rolling over RCI booking which fees cost less? banking for $99 right?