• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California Coastal trip planning...trains and timeshares oh my

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My cousin lives in Calif and wants to take the coastal train...with her bike...and she wants to stay in a timeshare she can get to easily from a train station. She already owns a timeshare in Vegas she can use to exchange, and I would gift her one of my weeks. She works for govt and only gets two weeks off, so she wants to piggyback two timeshare weeks. She took her bike to mountains in Italy last summer...loved it but she wants something more practical. She has a dangerous job (ATF) so I want to help her out. Anyone here know the CA coastal train lines and which timeshares...both RCI and II...would be reasonably close to timeshare resorts? (She doesn't have kids so doesn't need to travel prime summer...kinda looking at next Sept.) Thanks for any and all advice!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Grand Pacific Palisades in Carlsbad, and the other timeshares in that area, are very close to the train station.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Carlsbad Inn is just about 2 blocks from the Carlsbad train stop. Can easily walk it.

Riviera Beach and Shores as well as Capistrano Surfside Inn is about a 3 mile straight shoot from a train stop in San Clemente. Lots of cyclists along that route. They’re also near the San Juan Capistrano train stop but cycling from it to the timeshare is more dangerous (no clearly marked bike path for the whole route).

San Clemente Inn is also about 3-4 miles from that same stop in San Clemente but it’s not as much of a straight shoot. Most of the ride is a protected path along the train tracks then up a steep hill to the timeshare. Pretty safe short ride but some is unpaved. San Clemente Cove is a better choice - better beach access and views, and closer to the train stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vacationsarefun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Winners Circle is reasonably close to the train. We walked there all the time (I think there is a bus as well) - with a bike it would be quite easy. There are also lots of restaurants/stores in the area.

With the train it is easy to get to San Diego.

tseebach

Reaction score
Worldmark Pismo Beach is 1.5 miles from Grover Beach Amtrak. San Luis Bay Inn at Avila Beach is under 10 miles from same station and a little farther from San Luis Obispo Amtrak - the last few miles include a beautiful bike path along a creek, mostly away from roads. I’ve traded into both using DAE.

Gophesjo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Aquamarine Villas, Southern California Beach Club, Blue Whale, and Wyndham Pierside - all in Oceanside - are all very close to the train station there also.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow so many great ideas! Are all these resorts RCI? She's just in that system. Me, I am in both RCI and I I, but I am more interested in using RCI having plenty TPUs on hand. With Interval, I am wondering how far Marriott Newport Beach or Four Seasons Aviary would be from a train station. I would love to treat her to swank digs...if they'd allow a bicyclist through the gate!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Wait, I’m confused.

What does she want to do? Stay at a timeshare where she can ride for a week? And then take the Coast Starlight down the coast to stay at another timeshare location so that she can ride?

How avid a cyclist is she? How much does she want to ride each week?

I vacation via timeshare quite a bit, and I almost always ride either my mountain or road bike while on vacation. I’ve also taken the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle. I’m not sure it would be ideal to try to combine those trips, honestly.

The best riding from Coast Starlight towns IMO would be Paso Robles and Santa Barbara but there’s no timeshares in either of those places. Oxnard would have some good riding choices and there’s some timeshares in Channel Islands/Ventura/Oxnard. I’ve ridden some in the OC and San Diego county. It’s a little crowded/trafficky for my preference.

I’d suggest she consider just riding the Coast Starlight (it’s a cool trip) and then ride bikes separately. Or consider a hotel stay in Paso or Santa Barbara if she really want to do the train.

If she is a pretty avid cyclist, Oxnard might work. She could ride to Santa Barbara, Ojai, and Malibu from there. I live about an hour from there and have ridden in the area extensively. Could set her up with specific routes including local knowledge like where the water is.

There’s really good riding from River Pointe Napa. It’s literally on the bike path. I personally love riding in Carmel and have gone every year for the past 4 years. However a car really helps there. We stay the Hyatt Highlands Inn, but there’s some little timeshares in the Monterrey Bay Area- Pine Acres Lodge and one other. Probably better riding locations than the Hyatt but not as swank. There’s also good road riding in the Tahoe area, I’ve ridden out of Welk Northstar (again a car helps in Tahoe). Well, thinking about it- a car helps with most timeshare locations. Sometimes just driving a few miles from the TS really opens up huge ride possibilities.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wait, I’m confused.

What does she want to do? Stay at a timeshare where she can ride for a week? And then take the Coast Starlight down the coast to stay at another timeshare location so that she can ride?

How avid a cyclist is she? How much does she want to ride each week?

I vacation via timeshare quite a bit, and I almost always ride either my mountain or road bike while on vacation. I’ve also taken the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle. I’m not sure it would be ideal to try to combine those trips, honestly.

The best riding from Coast Starlight towns IMO would be Paso Robles and Santa Barbara but there’s no timeshares in either of those places. Oxnard would have some good riding choices and there’s some timeshares in Channel Islands/Ventura/Oxnard. I’ve ridden some in the OC and San Diego county. It’s a little crowded/trafficky for my preference.

I’d suggest she consider just riding the Coast Starlight (it’s a cool trip) and then ride bikes separately. Or consider a hotel stay in Paso or Santa Barbara if she really want to do the train.

If she is a pretty avid cyclist, Oxnard might work. She could ride to Santa Barbara, Ojai, and Malibu from there. I live about an hour from there and have ridden in the area extensively. Could set her up with specific routes including local knowledge like where the water is.

There’s really good riding from River Pointe Napa. It’s literally on the bike path. I personally love riding in Carmel and have gone every year for the past 4 years. However a car really helps there. We stay the Hyatt Highlands Inn, but there’s some little timeshares in the Monterrey Bay Area- Pine Acres Lodge and one other. Probably better riding locations than the Hyatt but not as swank. There’s also good road riding in the Tahoe area, I’ve ridden out of Welk Northstar (again a car helps in Tahoe). Well, thinking about it- a car helps with most timeshare locations. Sometimes just driving a few miles from the TS really opens up huge ride possibilities.
She actually confirmed Pine Acres this past weekend, so that's gonna be her starting point. She lives in Walnut Creek so will drive and start the train and bike journey on Monterey peninsula. She's an avid enough bicyclist to have taken her bike to Italy. It's on me to find the next timeshare to piggyback with Pine Acres...and now I am thinking about whether wildfire concerns should go into the selection process. Coastal California seems to be ok now but I heard there were evacuations in Malibu. Isnt that on the coast? Maybe its not good to plan anything further and just keep her mid-August Pine Acres week for now? I lived in Northern California and there was a fire season but then rainy season would green everything again. That was in the 80s before global warming ramped up so much. I actually feel bad and kind of petty worrying about vacations in California when so many people and animals are being lost to fire there. The habitat loss must be unimaginable.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Well. One option would be:

Pine Acres Lodge. Good rides in Monterrey area

Drive south on the Coast thru Big Sur, pick up the Coast Starlight in Paso Robles.

Coast Starlight to Oxnard

Timeshare week in Ventura. Good rides out of Ventura- up to Santa Barbara, into the little town of Ojai, down the coast to Malibu.

Coast Starlight back to Paso.

Drive home.

richardrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal hawaiin
if i was to do this, I would take pine acres, ride the train as far as san francisco and stay at a timeshare there