• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabo San Lucas--My son was attacked

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We chose to tie ourselves down to house payments and jobs when we were younger so didn't have the money or the time to travel. Now that we are finally retired, have the time and can afford to go, there are places I no longer want to go to. The world was, or maybe just seemed to be, a lot safer 35-40 years ago. When I hear people say "go, travel when you are young; you will never regret it", I'm wishing we had!

Your not getting any younger so you better get traveling. If you don't, in about ten years from now you might be posting that you wished you had again. :D

I actually think you do travel because your here and was just giving you the monkey business.

Bill

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I think the world is safer now than ever. I have been traveling worldwide since I was a teenager and I am in my 50s now. It has never been safer than now. The internet just lets us hear more now about what is going on.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
On our first trip to Cabo , sometime in the early 90's, on the second day, at around 10 am, some guys that we met at the airport shark tank were going to take us on a presentation. The girls wanted the free stuff so
Bill
I think the world is safer now than ever. .... The internet just lets us hear more now about what is going on.

Going to a presentation with guys you met at the Cabo airport shark tank probably hasn’t
gotten safer (for your wallet .)
<Thank you Bill/ Easyrider for the story >

-:In general I agree , the world is mostly safe - and the 24/7 internet news cycle exacerbates
our unfounded fears .

For guys ; fear comes when we finally realize that we are not immortal . This occurs
“ shortly” before senility - the next step is - we stop worrying because we can’t remember .

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I think the world is safer now than ever. I have been traveling worldwide since I was a teenager and I am in my 50s now. It has never been safer than now. The internet just lets us hear more now about what is going on.

This is spot on - although I actually might replace the words "safer now than ever" with "just as safe as it has ever been." The risks today might be different than they were 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, or 50 years ago, but there were still risks back then. But today with instantaneous communication, 24-7 news, a myriad of communications/news outlets that can boost their viewership/readership with a shocking headline or lead, I think it just seems a lot more dangerous. What happened to the OP's son can and does happen in any city in the world, or in any U.S. city. I'm not sure why it seems more threatening when it happens in Mexico versus your own city or town.

Were were in Los Cabos for five days in February and had a great time. Planning to go back next year.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am so sorry for your son's attack. It is sad to read these posts. I do not understand why people say such mean things. Please know you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could offer more.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
So sorry your son was hurt.

Personally the difference for me that this happened outside of the US makes it far scarier because of the lack of familiar surroundings and resources. The thought is terrifying. This would be true of most foreign countries. Mexico especially. The majority of the Mexican people may be warm, welcoming, and helpful but the police are known to be corrupt. This is a fact and the scariest thing about Mexico to me.

I am not saying people shouldn't travel to Mexico or other foreign countries. This is a choice each individual needs to make for themselves. I love to travel and haven't had a bad experience yet. But there is an inherent risk when traveling away from home. May we all be safe in our travels.

Thank goodness your son is alive, well, and home.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
... I do want to give a hand to the dedicated US embassy and consulate staff around the world. The US consulate in Vietnam was invaluable to my BIL. All too often I think we travelers take the diplomatic corp for granted until we have problems. Hopefully will never have to visit them when we're traveling, but the embassies and consulates need to be adequately staffed.

drmsp, I hope you don't mind that I passed on your comment to the consular staff in HCMC. They appreciate your kind words and certainly remember your nephew:

"My goodness, what a small world! Yes, we all cannot forget this very tragic case. Thank you for reaching out to us, and please let the family/friends know it is our honor to serve Americans anywhere in the world."

For Americans traveling in Cabo, here is contact information for the Consular Agency - https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/tijuana/consular-agency-los-cabos/

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Loosefeet, thank you for posting your story. Your son acted as almost everyone would with a natural instinct to protect himself and his property. I had never given this type of situation any thought but now I know it's best to just let the thieves take off with your belongings. This is helpful to anyone who likes to travel.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
drmsp, I hope you don't mind that I passed on your comment to the consular staff in HCMC. They appreciate your kind words and certainly remember your nephew:

"My goodness, what a small world! Yes, we all cannot forget this very tragic case. Thank you for reaching out to us, and please let the family/friends know it is our honor to serve Americans anywhere in the world."

For Americans traveling in Cabo, here is contact information for the Consular Agency - https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/tijuana/consular-agency-los-cabos/

Hi PamMo, no problem...thank you for passing it on to your consulate contacts at HCMC.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks for posting this, Lingber. It looks into the problem we have getting facts on the question of safety for travelers in Mexico.

The link is to a Jacksonville, Florida ABC affiliate, and a very interesting report on incidents in and around the major Mexican tourist destinations. I'm not into conspiracy theories, but the ties between TripAdvisor/Expedia and other travel agencies to popular Mexican resorts certainly provide a financial incentive to downplay bad news. The legal argument that tour operators are liable for NOT disclosing known dangers is interesting...

I just came home from a fantastic five weeks in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, and have another trip planned for later this year. Thankfully, over decades of vacationing in Mexico, my only issue has been getting short changed by the good old Pemex gas station attendants. I'm aware that others aren't so lucky, and I appreciate the efforts people make to report facts, and give fellow travelers a heads up or warning. It would be great to have a central reporting agency to see if/where real problems exist. Too often incidents reported on websites get sensationalized, turn into blaming the victim, get buried under chatter, or are censored.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also think that a lot of crime in other areas doesn't get reported or sensationalized as much.
For example, I never knew that in 2016 some foreign governments had a travel advisory/ban on travel to the US due to issues in Miami and other places.

Heck one year in Albany we had like 7 murders in the first month of the year.

Now, I don't mind having updated information. What I *do* mind is when it seems we only get information about certain spots in Mexico and nowhere else (granted this is the Mexico forum, so obviously I wouldn't expect stuff about other areas here). But it seems we don't get these crime reports for say Chicago, NY, FL, etc. even in those other forums.

However, everyone has their own comfort zone. If you're uncomfortable, don't go (regardless of where it's at). My roomate's mom has never flown because she sees reports of plane crashes/accidents. I fly all the time (and have had some emergency landings on the old DASH-8 prop jobs where the engine failed or caught fire, etc.). but that's a decision I make for myself.

So for those who enjoy Mexico (like I do), just be aware/careful and remember that no matter what/where you are at, sometimes crap happens.

meatsss

TUG Member
Reaction score
We’ll be in a resort on Medano beach in the near future. We’re always aware of our surroundings in a foreign country. Carry only what we need when we go out. Stay in populated areas and in good light if at night. Sorry to hear about the attack. Those things happen everywhere.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am so happy to read your son made it home safe. I hope he is okay. Thank you for sharing your story.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry that this has gotten to be a debate! Thank you for warning us and glad your son is ok. I worry about family and friends who travel to areas that may not be friendly or safe. Our friends are taking a cruise that stops in Cuba next month. We never had the interest in going there, but they want to go. Have any of you been to Cuba? What is it like? What should I tell them to be aware of while there?
Silentg
I am Canadian, I have been to Cuba many times. I consider it one of the safest places in the Caribbean. Poor Cubans fear the government more than anything else. People are nice and warm. With that being said, always exert caution when travelling.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Another one about 36 hours in Cancun.
https://wsvn.com/news/us-world/multiple-murders-rock-mexican-tourist-hotspot/

Either we are finally starting to hear more about it or it’s getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think the US media reports much on murder and crimes in Mexico. I have been searching for more news on safety issues in Mexico and it is hard to find. It is much easier to learn about crime in the USA in the US media because that is always reported. Crime in Mexico is under-reported, it appears.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend just posted this article in Facebook. I hate to take Mexico off the list but may have to after reading this.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/mobil...ooking-travel-to-mexico-resorts/507-537271803

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the problem is that some of these reports only present one side of the story. According to the article, a 19 year old (well built judging from the picture) was robbed AND he ended up in jail. The story may be exactly as described or maybe he got into a fight (hustlers, excessive drinking, drugs involved?) and the police found him at fault, not that i trust the Mexican police. It could also be a combination of the two. Without any independent corroboration it is hard to know.

This is an article about crime in LA. Does it mean that you should not go to LA and to California? Absolutely not but it means you have to be cautious, be careful where you go and whom you are hanging out with.

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-me-crime-stats-20151230-story.html

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do not find it helpful to compare Mexico to the USA. Might as well compare to North Korea, Pakistan or Colombia. Any place can be safe or dangerous but the fact is Mexico’s per capita murder rate is much higher than most places in the world right now, although it is mostly drug cartel driven.

The scary part is not that there is cartel driven murders and crime in specific regions in Mexico but that it is now reaching tourist areas in Cancun and Cabo. This is unusual from what I understand. The cartels are starting to target tourist areas (not tourists) in order to pressure the government and make statements. They know tourism is Mexico’s most valuable industry.

The idea of visiting a heavily guarded beach by the Mexican army does not sound appealing. I was in Bogota, Colombia in the late 1980s at the height of its drug cartel problems and the army was everywhere. It was scary. I remember sitting in McDonalds and 30 armed soldiers came in for lunch. It made my Colombian friend feel safer but it scared me. My friend asked me, “Why are you scared? They are here to protect you.” My friend would not let me go anywhere alone in Bogota when he was working and he would not leave the city to show me other parts of Colombia because he said it was not safe to travel outside of Bogotá at the time. I believe Colombia has cleaned up its country quite a bit since then but it is still considered dangerous.

Articles like the one posted about LA do ruin LA’s reputation. The US media is all over reporting on the crime in US cities. That is why I think so many people are comparing Cabo and Cancun to LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and other US cities. Yet, the crime statistics and reporting about those US cities are ruining those cities too. So comparing Cancún and Cabo to US cities with high crime is no compliment to Mexico. It does not make Mexico safer. I suspect Mexico under reports its crime statistics and I have read that it is probably a lot worse than we know.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not find it helpful to compare Mexico to the USA. Might as well compare to North Korea, Pakistan or Colombia. Any place can be safe or dangerous but the fact is Mexico’s per capita murder rate is much higher than most places in the world right now, although it is mostly drug cartel driven.

The scary part is not that there is cartel driven murders and crime in specific regions in Mexico but that it is now reaching tourist areas in Cancun and Cabo. This is unusual from what I understand. The cartels are starting to target tourist areas (not tourists) in order to pressure the government and make statements. They know tourism is Mexico’s most valuable industry.

The idea of visiting a heavily guarded beach by the Mexican army does not sound appealing. I was in Bogota, Colombia in the late 1980s at the height of its drug cartel problems and the army was everywhere. It was scary. I remember sitting in McDonalds and 30 armed soldiers came in for lunch. It made my Colombian friend feel safer but it scared me. My friend asked me, “Why are you scared? They are here to protect you.” My friend would not let me go anywhere alone in Bogota when he was working and he would not leave the city to show me other parts of Colombia because he said it was not safe to travel outside of Bogotá at the time. I believe Colombia has cleaned up its country quite a bit since then but it is still considered dangerous.

Articles like the one posted about LA do ruin LA’s reputation. The US media is all over reporting on the crime in US cities. That is why I think so many people are comparing Cabo and Cancun to LA, Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and other US cities. Yet, the crime statistics and reporting about those US cities are ruining those cities too. So comparing Cancún and Cabo to US cities with high crime is no compliment to Mexico. It does not make Mexico safer. I suspect Mexico under reports its crime statistics and I have read that it is probably a lot worse than we know.
Google search is reinforcing our phobias. Tourism in Mexico has increased steadily in the last 5 years so millions of Americans do not agree with you. Since access is better than ever before you cannot blame the increase on the lack of information.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Google search is reinforcing our phobias. Tourism in Mexico has increased steadily in the last 5 years so millions of Americans do not agree with you. Since access is better than ever before you cannot blame the increase on the lack of information.

I know many experienced travelers to Mexico who have canceled their vacations to Mexico this year and I know many biased people who won't go at all, even without knowing the crime stats. On my other post, I mentioned I had no idea 2017 and now 2018 are the worst years for violence in Mexican history. I visited Mexico many, many times in the past year and I felt physically safe. In spite of my own personal experience, I decided to cancel my next trip to Cancun/Riviera Maya and go elsewhere for many reasons, not just safety but other reasons too that I should not post here. I was just looking for information of what is happening. In April 2018, I believe the number of murders in the Cancun area was 57 as of the end of last week. That is a lot. I do not believe any were tourists so I am not trying to reinforce a false belief that tourists are being targeted. I find that to be a high number of murders and Cancun is not even the dangerous area. Quintana Roo is still at only Level 2 in state dept warning system. What I found interesting and did not know is that the cartels are exorting money from the tourist industry. Time will tell if the Mexican government can maintain its beautiful tourist hubs. I hope it can. I love Mexico and especially the Yucatan Peninsula. I think the ocean on the Caribbean side of Mexico is among the most beautiful in the world. Also, I love that Mexico is so easily accessible from the USA. It is one of the few places we can fly nonstop. So I am rooting for Mexico to become safer and for it to get crime under control and defeat the cartels.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know many experienced travelers to Mexico who have canceled their vacations to Mexico this year and I know many biased people who won't go at all, even without knowing the crime stats. On my other post, I mentioned I had no idea 2017 and now 2018 are the worst years for violence in Mexican history. I visited Mexico many, many times in the past year and I felt physically safe. In spite of my own personal experience, I decided to cancel my next trip to Cancun/Riviera Maya and go elsewhere for many reasons, not just safety but other reasons too that I should not post here. I was just looking for information of what is happening. In April 2018, I believe the number of murders in the Cancun area was 57 as of the end of last week. That is a lot. I do not believe any were tourists so I am not trying to reinforce a false belief that tourists are being targeted. I find that to be a high number of murders and Cancun is not even the dangerous area. Quintana Roo is still at only Level 2 in state dept warning system. What I found interesting and did not know is that the cartels are exorting money from the tourist industry. Time will tell if the Mexican government can maintain its beautiful tourist hubs. I hope it can. I love Mexico and especially the Yucatan Peninsula. I think the ocean on the Caribbean side of Mexico is among the most beautiful in the world. Also, I love that Mexico is so easily accessible from the USA. It is one of the few places we can fly nonstop. So I am rooting for Mexico to become safer and for it to get crime under control and defeat the cartels.
you have a right to cancel your trips and so have your friends. This does not change the fact that more and more people are actually travelling to Mexico so they seem to disagree with you. I think that we have beaten this to death. It is starting to look more like and obsession than a conversation. I wonder if there is a motive.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you have a right to cancel your trips and so have your friends. This does not change the fact that more and more people are actually travelling to Mexico so they seem to disagree with you. I think that we have beaten this to death. It is starting to look more like and obsession than a conversation. I wonder if there is a motive.

I was wondering if you had a motive and then I noticed you just bought at Westin Lagomar. I agree, this topic has been beaten to death (literally, LOL).

P.S. I apologize that this thread has made you uncomfortable. I am sure things will be wonderful at Westin Lagomar.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you had a motive and then I noticed you just bought at Westin Lagomar. I agree, this topic has been beaten to death (literally, LOL).
Very proud owner indeed. A motive has to be something more precise than that. If you own property in say NYC and you tell your opinion about NYC it does not mean that you have a motive. I am Canadian, speaking positively about Canada is not a motive either. IMHO.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very proud owner indeed. A motive has to be something more precise than that. If you own property in say NYC and you tell your opinion about NYC it does not mean that you have a motive. I am Canadian, speaking positively about Canada is not a motive either. IMHO.

So what motive did you think I have? Just curious.

I am not sure you read my posts thoroughly because you only responded to the negative parts. I also said many good things. I have traveled to Mexico many, many times in the past year as well as throughout my lifetime. I was not even aware of the murder rate and crime until recently. I have always felt safe. I said this again and again.

I even spent a few days alone in Cancun in January!

Last edited: