• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabo Azul

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are staying at Cabo Azul next month. Would you recommend renting a car? If not, how do you arrange transportation to resort? Are there grocery stores close by? Any other recommendations as this is our first time. Do we need to exchange money before our trip or will they take dollars? TIA

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are staying at Cabo Azul next month. Would you recommend renting a car? If not, how do you arrange transportation to resort? Are there grocery stores close by? Any other recommendations as this is our first time. Do we need to exchange money before our trip or will they take dollars? TIA

Hi Judy ,
There is a lot of good Cabo information in the TUG Mexican Forum .

1) Some resorts arrange incoming transportation - I would call the front desk and ask what they recommend .

2) Cabs are cheap and easy to access . / Many people do not rent cars
The main reason to rent a car is if your doing a lot of exploring beyond the 2 main resort
cities in the Cabo area .

3) First trip - skip renting a car / or just rent for a day or 2 - should you decide to explore .
<added- giest1223 in the subsequent post has detailed information about car rentals . / my info was general & is based on this being a first time visit >

4) USD will work / you can exchange money easily if you need pesos . The resort will do it as well .
The rate will be a little lower - but insignificant on $100. for just having some pesos in your wallet .
Grocery stores and tourist restaurants will take your credit card . Smaller local stores are often cash
but will always take USD if necessary .

5) There will be a TIMESHARE SHARK TANK -as you exit airport customs . Do not engage in conversation with anyone in that zone . I would suggest you say - “no speak english “ to anyone there .
Keep walking and continue to the resort transportation or cab area .

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We have been coming to San Jose del Cabo for about 15 years. Except for our first trip we have always rented a car. We are currently at Cabo Azul. Valet parking for DRI members is free. You are about 1 mile from downtown San Jose del Cabo and about 1 mile from a large grocery store in the other direction. We always rent from Hertz. We do it online before we get here. Many of the car rental companies will not rent a car unless you buy the extra insurance, which will cost more than the rental for the car. Hertz does not require it. The car rental company will pick you up just outside of the terminal. If you arrange an activity such as evening dinner cruise, snorkeling, swim with the dophins, etc the activity will provide round trip transportation. The best snorkeling beaches are Chileno and Santa Maria. Most of the snorkeling activities take you to Chileno by boat. We drive there. There are bathrooms but remember to take your own toilet paper. We get to Chileno about 8am. Few people, no wind, and smooth clear water. Thursday Nights is an Art Walk in downtown San Jose del Cabo. Many businesses will not take American Express but VISA or MasterCard is fine. While you negociate prices on things you buy remember to also negociate the exchange rate because they will actually write it up in pesos. When doing this it is better to have a low exchange rate. $500 in US is $7500 pesos at 15 to 1 while it is $9000 pesos at 18 to 1. Remember they use the $ for pesos. When exchanging USA dollars for pesos the higher the number the better. Check with your Credit Cards to see which ones do not charge a foreign transaction fee. We always bring a couple thousand pesos with us to get started. Then use ATMs to get more. The baggers at the grocery stores are only paid by your tip. There are several places that have swim with the Dolphins. We prefer the one at the Harbour in San Jose del Cabo. You are actually in the Harbour water instead of a large pool. Do not be surprised if it is in the mid to high 90°F to over 100°F in May.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Going there in July. Cabs are. Expensive in the area so we rent a car.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Yesterday we agreed to do the Update today. We were told to be at the VIP Room at 12:00 sharp. We were promised the total time would be only 55 minutes. We were there a minute or two early. Our guide/presenter/salesman did not show up until 20 after. I expressed our displeasure at being kept waiting as if our time meant nothing. He was not very apologetic and took offense when I said he only had 35 minutes left. We cancelled and walked out. Patti lost her free spa treatment and I lost $130 USA in drinking money. I have emailed DRI our displeasure and recommended those involved be fired. I am waiting a response.

Judy Nagaoka

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yesterday we agreed to do the Update today. We were told to be at the VIP Room at 12:00 sharp. We were promised the total time would be only 55 minutes. We were there a minute or two early. Our guide/presenter/salesman did not show up until 20 after. I expressed our displeasure at being kept waiting as if our time meant nothing. He was not very apologetic and took offense when I said he only had 35 minutes left. We cancelled and walked out. Patti lost her free spa treatment and I lost $130 USA in drinking money. I have emailed DRI our displeasure and recommended those involved be fired. I am waiting a response.
Was this Cabo Azul? It sounds dreadful.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We are staying at Cabo Azul next month.

Glad you are getting the info you were looking for .
both here & in the Mexican Forum.
Hi Judy ,

5) There will be a TIMESHARE SHARK TANK -as you exit airport customs . Do not engage in conversation with anyone in that zone . I would suggest you say - “no speak english “ to anyone there .
Keep walking ........ .

Please make sure you are aware of this unique feature of Mexican Airports
in resort areas.

Best plan :
Keep walking / no talking / no stopping

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We rented a car this past xmas from Hertz. Very easy and reasonably priced. It's very easy to drive in the Cabo area. You should have a great time!!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
After cooling down and thinking about it as I said before the Salesman was not apologetic for keeping us waiting. This upset me. Also his attitude was he was doing us a favor by meeting with us. This made it worse. I have sent 2 emails to DRI Corporate. One a complaint and one a suggestion for how they should change their process. No responses.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please make sure you are aware of this unique feature of Mexican Airports
in resort areas.

Best plan :
Keep walking / no talking / no stopping

Welk Resorts (I have intervals with them too), has a resort in Cabo and in their printed materials they say: "Please be aware that there will be timeshare representatives inside the airport who are not affiliated with your ground transport, nor our resort. They will say almost anything to get you to stop, including posing as airport security, government officials, or taxi drivers. For your peace of mind, simply do not stop for anyone before exiting the terminal."

Of course, they should have something similar about their own sales centers.