• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying resale advice

mintee

Reaction score
I am curious- do you think it makes a difference between buying Vistana or Marriottt with the merger? I am trying to decide on which to buy on the resale market
I am a planner- love to travel-have 2 high school kids and will proabably be going to Orlando (for cheerleading), Myrtle and Hilton head for now- BUT also will want to do Caribbean and Hawaii and any other places I have not been.
I am slightly leaning to Marriott just because of the possible hotel points- Is it worth it to buy Resales with Marriott just to get the hotel points to exchange(my daughter does several travel cheer comps throughout the year)? I have also looked at the Mandatory resorts with Vistana just to get trading
Or should I forget both and just do something cheap and go to Wyndham
I do not want to go to the same resort every year and I can commit to planning at least a year in advance - I have read and researched but I am just starting to confuse myself and everytime I think I decided I am back to square one! Thanks for your guidance!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
in these situations most folks tend to suggest renting until you are comfortable knowing what will work best for you!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is generally considered not worth it to trade for MR points. MR points are valued at about .9 cents each. If a resort gives 100,000 points, that's $900 in maintenance fees (MF), and you will not find a Marriott with that cheap MF (for a full year).

If you do Marriott, you should consider a lockoff unit, from someone other than Marriott. The reason for the lockoff is you can get 2 weeks out of it, you sound like you will be trading.

My suggestion is to start with reading the FAQs for whatever brand(s) you are considering.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If you buy Marriott resale, you can't convert to Marriott Rewards points. With the merger coming up, I suspect a mandatory Vistana resort will be better because MVC will probably allow Vistana mandatory resort owners to enroll into MVC DP Club program. I think this might happen because mandatory owners get StarOptions and MVC will need to compensate mandatory owners for this if they change their program. On the other hand, I suspect they will still require a 3000+ purchase of DC Points to enroll a resale Marriott week.

mintee

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback all- I have actually already rented- We have stayed at Wyndham Bonnett Creek, Wyndham National Harbor, Hilton Parc Soliel and Vistana Resort in Orlando- my family has owned SPG for years- The reason I was intrigued by the hotel points is my friends from that also own SPG stated that with the combined use of the American EX with the points, they are able to also get more free stays every year- since we already have an SPG american ex and we know we like the timeshare units- we were trying to navigate what would have the best value for us. On Marriotts direct resale website- they make it sound like if you purchase for them you can still get Marriottt reward points-BUT it sounds like from above maybe we should just do the mandatory resort with SPG- last question- in your personal opinion- is it better to snag a unit with a higher maintenance cost that might be in more demand like Harborside at Atlantis or Westin Kaanapali OR do you think if I go for the c/heaper option at Vistana Villages Key West it would still allow trading options equally between Marriottt and SPG? The bigggest problem we have with my in laws time share is that is has such low desirablity we can never exchange it
By the way— thanks for the advice on the lockout!
I know you cant tell- but I have literally been researching this decision since 2015 and think I am finally ready to jump (I have actually even attended presentations from Hilton, DVC, Wyndham, SPG to try to compare)

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I know you cant tell- but I have literally been researching this decision since 2015 and think I am finally ready to jump (I have actually even attended presentations from Hilton, DVC, Wyndham, SPG to try to compare)
Be warned, they are like Lays potato chips, you end up wanting more than just one. We started out with DVC points (which is still my favorite) and then an independent prime season 2 bedroom lock off, then resale Wyndham points, and last but not least - a Marriott every other year platinum 2 bedroom lock off at Grande Vista. And I like all our ownerships for different reasons. :D

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
On Marriotts direct resale website- they make it sound like if you purchase for them you can still get Marriottt reward points

This is true, you can get MR points. If you do not buy from Marriott, you cannot.