TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Buying question for Wyndham

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by leonpwhirl, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. leonpwhirl

leonpwhirl Guest

My wife and I recently attended a presentation in which we did NOT buy. However, the contract was for 6000 points for 16k. It is hard to judge value in what they are selling. Looking at the resell market there are a lot of options out there. It appears this was kind of a ripoff? Also trying to find good experiences with a point type system time share. Any help appreciated. Not sure if we should run away or if we should run towards on the resell system.

2. WyndhamBarter

WyndhamBarter TUG Member

Please tell us you made a decimal point error in your post, or maybe a timeshare system name error.

In Wyndham Vacation Ownership, 6 thousand points for 16 thousand dollars would be a COMPLETE ripoff.
    Even direct-from-Wyndham (developer) pricing is usually a factor of 10 or so better than this. And by
    reading this forum, you can see that buying your points on the resale market could save you *another*
    factor of ten or twenty in purchase price.

Alternatively, perhaps you attended a Worldmark presentation? (WM is owned by WVO.) In the WM
    system, the currency is "credits" rather than points, and 6,000 for $16,000 is much closer to 'reasonable'
    as far a retail (direct from developer) pricing is concerned.

Just check the price in points for an average week at a WVO resort - 6,000 points will get you *nothing*.
    Even 60,000 points will only get you a week in one of the less expensive resorts.

3. leonpwhirl

leonpwhirl Guest

It might of possibly been a worldmark presentation. It was rather confusing. There was a worldmark and wyndham at the same place and the sales person was using both interchangeably and was rather confusing as to what was being presented. Is there a better system to purchase?

4. ecwinch

ecwinch Moderator

The pricing definitely sounds like Worldmark. Which is the better system has a lot of caveats. Generally speaking if you live on the West Coast then Worldmark is definitely the best system - they more resorts and they are harder to get into if you dont own there. And they have a number of cash booking options so you are not strictly limited by how many credits you own.

5. leonpwhirl

leonpwhirl Guest

I was on the west coastish the presentation was in Park City. When you say caveats what are some of the caveats? The sales person did not bring any up (not surprised).

6. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Check out the following page: https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/resorts.page

It lists the Wyndham and WorldMark resort locations. In our travels, we have been many places east of the Mississippi and in the course of those vacations, have stayed at a good number of Wyndham resorts (I should note we are Wyndham owners). As our travel goals turned west, we realized the number of Wyndham resorts in the west was far fewer compared to WorldMark. For us, we can use our Wyndham points to travel in WorldMark system (as long as we pay a $99 fee) and that has opened up a lot more potential destinations in the west. It was not necessary for us to purchase WorldMark BUT we would have some advantages if we did (earlier access to reservations being the main one).

I slightly disagree with ecwinch's point above about where you live as being a determining factor in deciding whether to purchase in the Wyndham or WorldMark systems - in my opinion, it is more about where you want to travel. I definitely agree with the remainder of his point.

If I had it to do all over again, I would still purchase Wyndham (resale of course) and I would have some WorldMark in my portfolio too (resale too)... as that would give me the best of both worlds. For a first (initial) purchase, I would suggest considering purchasing WorldMark if the majority of your travel destinations have more WorldMark presence. If there is more of a Wyndham presence in the areas you want to travel to, consider purchasing Wyndham.

7. ecwinch

ecwinch Moderator

By caveats, I really mean there are a lot of variables that might make one system better over another for your personal situation. For instance - where you like to vacation, how often you like to vacation, your ability to take last minute trips, and other factors.

The two systems are completely different, and as bbodb1 mentions, Club Wyndham has a bigger presence in the eastern US, and Worldmark has a bigger presence in the western US.

bbodb1 misstates my point however on where you live being the determining factor. What I said is that it is a no-brainer if you live on the west coast. That is because WM has a variety of cash booking options that it would foolish to not have available to you if you lived within driving distance of their CA/WA/OR/UT resorts. I am not saying that someone in the midwest or east coast should not buy Worldmark, only that it is the superior choice if you live in the west. A similar cash-booking option is not available in Club Wyndham, so perhaps bbodb1 is not aware of how much more value it adds to a WM membership.

I would also disagree with bbodb1 on that if you buy Club Wyndham you can still book WM resorts. This is possible, but is very difficult in peak season - if not impossible at the best resorts (ie. West Yellowstone or Depoe Bay in summer). And this benefit (called Club Pass) is only possible with a developer purchase - which is not worth the cost IMHO.

Bottom line - WM is far more flexible, and has cash booking options (Bonus Time, FAX, Inventory Specials) that do not exist with Club Wyndham. Also with WM you have the ability to exchange with both RCI and II, where as with Club Wyndham you are basically limited to only RCI (unless you own at a few select resorts). Club Wyndham is less flexible, but has more options on the east coast.

8. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club (Pompano Beach, FL), RCI Points: Oakmont Resort (Pigeon Forge, TN), Vacation Village at Parkway
    Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison
    Having now read Eric's additional info above, I do agree with his point about the potential of WorldMark usage and that makes perfectly good sense to consider that if your vacationing / travel needs fit. I wanted to point out there are scenarios where such a consideration might not make sense - or as much sense - (which is the case for us) due to the distance we live from WorldMark resorts in areas we want to visit. Obviously for you Leon, your experience (and needs) may vary.

On the other rebuttal point Eric makes above - I am not suggesting Club Wyndham Access specifically, rather my point is to consider Wyndham if their resorts align with a good number of your future travel destinations. FWIW from our travels, we have typically found Wyndham and WorldMark resorts are more consistent and satisfy our travel needs more frequently than RCI does.

I would certainly read the posts of the moderators (and many other long time folks who post here) and give them more weight as opposed to someone with my limited experience. All of us here are merely trying to provide food for thought.