• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Marriott

marciaheitz

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have an exchange through II at MVC Marco Island and I plan to accept their invitation to attend a presentation....which I only do when I have a goal in mind. I'm considering buying into Marriott (own 4 weeks/pts in other systems which I'm very pleased with) and want to learn as much as I can before I decide to purchase. I always buy on the secondary market and then if I need to I buy the minimum # of points from the company to get whatever perks I'm excluded from if I only buy on the secondary market. So my question is this....before I attend a presentation from Marriott tell me what I need to know/ask specifically in order to attain my goal. I'm also interested in advice on where/what type of purchase I should make with Marriott on the secondary market for the most flexibility. I'm assuming their "points" system (I don't know their lingo) vs. fixed weeks but just a guess on my part. We do not return to the same resort every year....we like to exchange and like the ability to exchange into hard to get locations often.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
You should ask about hydrid packages that include points and an enrolleable week. The packages bring the average cost per point down a lot. I have DC Trust Points bought on secondary market as well as deeded weeks. I really like the DC Points better than deeded weeks because I have a lot more flexibility in using points and banking points as well as extra benefits once you get to a higher level within MVC. For example, we have a deeded week at Marriott Ko Olina and we had to change the date once. I wanted to change the date again but I could not re-book anymore because it was sold out for weeks owners. However, there is availability for DC Point owners as at less than 60 days out.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
So, here's the key: Are you looking to spend $5k? $10K $35K ? Annual MF's of $1300? $4000?

A points purchase from Marriott is expensive. Avg of about $12+ a point and about $.56 per point MF's. Resale points are approximately $6-7 a point (not verified due to recent changes) with the same MF's. At least $3 of the point price (resale) can not be recouped (currently) on resale. Much more than $3 of the point price can not be recouped on developer points. So, a big hit up-front with purchase. This could change with inflation.

Legacy weeks are not enrollable unless purchased from Marriott with matching points (Hybrid) or enrolled under special offer with minimum points purchase (eg 3000 points x $12 a point to enroll 1 week--known as post-2010 enrollment offer). So, buying an enrolled week is not cheap in cost or MF's. This is a big up-front outlay to buy the points.

Legacy weeks are affordable and inexpensive to purchase/own (excluding certain premium units at premium locations...eg Hawaii, beach front etc...). Legacy weeks need to be exchanged via Interval. Marriott weeks do have some advantage (Marriott preference) in instant or on-going searches with Interval. Not on all available exchanges, but certainly on a lot of them.

Summary: Points--very flexible, very deluxe, very expensive. Legacy--less flexible, management skills required to exchange, great value, medium to low price.
Did I mention that the entire Marriott/VSE/Hyatt system is in 'Flex' (pardon the expression) due to merger activities? But on what timeline?

So, how much money to spend? (initial purchase).
How long do you plan to keep this purchase? (big depreciation on points immediately after purchase)
How much MF's can you tolerate per year?
How many weeks are you trying to get? (per year)
Exactly what "hard to get" locations are you trying get? Where and how often? (3 weeks a year or every 3 years?)

Good luck!

Keep in mind: The sales team will try to convince you of three things:
  1. Unless you buy from Marriott, you won't ever get what you want.....(false)
  2. If you buy on the resale market, you won't have most of the benefits that direct-purchase buyers do (false--extra benefits can be very poor value)
  3. Legacy weeks are dying fast and soon there won't be any way to exchange or use these weeks without enrolling. (Probably false in our lifetime)
Be brave!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We spent about 70K with the equivalent of about 12K points, MF of about $6.5K including Club Dues. This is our first year of usage and while we have not "struggled" to use them, we are unsure how we will be using all the points. We banked this year's usage. We have a set of travel plans each year, Newport Coast during late summer, Desert Springs I or II in Jan/Feb. We also go to Westin Mission Hills around Nov/Dec but when we have cruises that step on the dates, the timeshare plans will have to give. We will be looking out for Marriott's Events and possibly use some of our points there, and also possibly with Collette Travels.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I'm also interested in advice on where/what type of purchase I should make with Marriott on the secondary market for the most flexibility. I'm assuming their "points" system (I don't know their lingo) vs. fixed weeks but just a guess on my part. We do not return to the same resort every year....we like to exchange and like the ability to exchange into hard to get locations often.

It depends on what is the most important to you - flexibility or money. As people have eluded to above, points are costly but does give you a lot of flexibility in booking specific number of days if you want less than a week or a week that starts on a different day. It does come at a price and if you're prepared to pay that. Basically for resale points, your net cost will be about $7-8/point. The other option as above is getting into a hybrid deal with a week that can be enrolled and points. Keep in mind though, points are subject to availability. While most places and dates are probably available if you book early, there are some key locations and dates that might not be available even if you have tonnes of points.

If you like to exchange and go to hard to get locations, I would suggest buying a cheap Marriott Platinum week with low maintenance fees to exchange via Interval. That will probably be the most economical way to get in and get Marriott preference in II. The great thing is that you can try this for minimal cost and if it doesn't meet what you want you still have the opportunity to slap down the wad for points. While I can see the benefit of points, I still can not justify the cost for this "flexibility" as its not just the initial cash outlay but also the MF and the number of points needed for a reservation vs how much it would cost me to trade in with II. To each their own and what works for them but I have 3.5 trader weeks and I've been able to get to every place I've wanted thus far plus I have my 3 holiday weeks I bought specifically to use and rent.

For the amount I've spent, I think I've had far more value out my weeks than the same amount spent on points. If I look at the overall cost of all 6.5 resale weeks I own and had used that same amount on points, I would have the equivalent of maybe 7000 points resale which get me 1 holiday week in Hawaii in a 2 br unit. Those 7000 points would cost me about $3850 in MF vs my 1 holiday deeded week in Ko Olina for MF $2200. The picture is worse if I bought points only from Marriott where I might have 4500 points for the same money. If I trade into Ko Olina with my cheap traders, my cost is even better at $900-1000 per week. I paid less $1000 per cheap trader, some of them were actually free as it included usage the first year!

I don't remember if it was mentioned, but if you really want points, you can rent them for the same amount or sometimes less than the MF (you do need a points account), so there isn't really much incentive to buy alot when you rent them for the same with no cash outlay.

If I was going to get my feet wet in Marriott, I would start with a cheap Marriott Platinum 2 br lock off week and see if the trading gets you what you want. Your financial commitment is minimal and you can see how it fits what you seek. There are more than one way to get what you want. I just have difficulty committing for the price of points.

As a reference point, my 3.5 Marriott Platinum 2 br lockoff units cost me net $0. The 3 holiday Ko Olina weeks cost me about $50,000 total. My yearly MF is about $11,500. The rental of three Ko Olina weeks pays for all my MF, lockoff and exchange fees for the year and I get about 7 weeks out of the 3.5 Marriott weeks when I exchange in II. My net cost for accommodations is basically zero.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
We spent about 70K with the equivalent of about 12K points, MF of about $6.5K including Club Dues. This is our first year of usage and while we have not "struggled" to use them, we are unsure how we will be using all the points. We banked this year's usage. We have a set of travel plans each year, Newport Coast during late summer, Desert Springs I or II in Jan/Feb. We also go to Westin Mission Hills around Nov/Dec but when we have cruises that step on the dates, the timeshare plans will have to give. We will be looking out for Marriott's Events and possibly use some of our points there, and also possibly with Collette Travels.

VacationForever, I'm not rebutting your post but am just providing insight to the OP of how I use my post 2010 weeks. So, I hope that you don't take offense to my post. I mean no disrespect.

First, I wish that I had points, but the three Marriotts that I own are in Palm Desert and don't generate a lot of points anyways. Two are white/gold weeks. One is an EOY red/platinum week. Not a lot of points if I convert. So, unless I want to work some sort of hybrid deal I am stuck with my weeks and may be better off with just weeks.

I am a very frugal person and try to get the most out of my "investment" (or sunk cost).

Interestingly, I have a similar travel venue as you do. For the past 6 years I go to Newport Coast in the fall and sometimes at other times of the year. I prefer September but have also gone there in Oct and Dec. I usually trade my 1 BR Desert Springs for the 2 BR NCV. But sometimes I see weeks availability using an efficiency. I also like going to Marriott Palm Desert (DSV1, DSV2, SR) in the fall (I love November/December) but sometimes go there in February with an EOY that I own. I think that over the years that I've been to Palm Desert in all months of the year. The two Westins in that area are on my to do list.

All-in, I paid about $6K for my 2-1/2 weeks (two annuals and one EOY). My MF is around $3400 a year. I always split my lock-offs so I end up getting 5 weeks of vacation per year. I am not tied to school schedules and can plan way in advance. I also really enjoy "drive-to" vacations (anything within about 8-10 hours of my home in Southern Ca.) because it is so easy to pack. We typically don't pack "light" as we would be forced to do if we were flying. I am retired and can easily travel on the shoulder seasons. I have been able to get some decent trades over the years. (I've gone to Hyatt Highlands Inn 3 of the past 4 years, have gone to Hyatt Pinon Point roughly once a year for the past several years, have gone to Marriott Timberlodge (Tahoe) a number of times, and have recently exchanged into Marriott Maui Ocean Club suites, and go to Marriott Canyon Villas once a year (in either December, Jan or February). So, I am getting good use out of my weeks. I consider these trades to be decent values, although they are probably not what many people would consider as being really difficult.

So, even though weeks are more restrictive and points have more flexibility, some Marriott DC benefits and could possibly have better inventory, I'm getting good use out of my 2-1/2 Marriott weeks.

icydog

TUG Member
Reaction score
VacationForever, I'm not rebutting your post but am just providing insight to the OP of how I use my post 2010 weeks. So, I hope that you don't take offense to my post. I mean no disrespect.

First, I wish that I had points, but the three Marriotts that I own are in Palm Desert and don't generate a lot of points anyways. Two are white/gold weeks. One is an EOY red/platinum week. Not a lot of points if I convert. So, unless I want to work some sort of hybrid deal I am stuck with my weeks and may be better off with just weeks.

I am a very frugal person and try to get the most out of my "investment" (or sunk cost).

Interestingly, I have a similar travel venue as you do. For the past 6 years I go to Newport Coast in the fall and sometimes at other times of the year. I prefer September but have also gone there in Oct and Dec. I usually trade my 1 BR Desert Springs for the 2 BR NCV. But sometimes I see weeks availability using an efficiency. I also like going to Marriott Palm Desert (DSV1, DSV2, SR) in the fall (I love November/December) but sometimes go there in February with an EOY that I own. I think that over the years that I've been to Palm Desert in all months of the year. The two Westins in that area are on my to do list.

All-in, I paid about $6K for my 2-1/2 weeks (two annuals and one EOY). My MF is around $3400 a year. I always split my lock-offs so I end up getting 5 weeks of vacation per year. I am not tied to school schedules and can plan way in advance. I also really enjoy "drive-to" vacations (anything within about 8-10 hours of my home in Southern Ca.) because it is so easy to pack. We typically don't pack "light" as we would be forced to do if we were flying. I am retired and can easily travel on the shoulder seasons. I have been able to get some decent trades over the years. (I've gone to Hyatt Highlands Inn 3 of the past 4 years, have gone to Hyatt Pinon Point roughly once a year for the past several years, have gone to Marriott Timberlodge (Tahoe) a number of times, and have recently exchanged into Marriott Maui Ocean Club suites, and go to Marriott Canyon Villas once a year (in either December, Jan or February). So, I am getting good use out of my weeks. I consider these trades to be decent values, although they are probably not what many people would consider as being really difficult.

So, even though weeks are more restrictive and points have more flexibility, some Marriott DC benefits and could possibly have better inventory, I'm getting good use out of my 2-1/2 Marriott weeks.

What you are describing is my dream. I love the fact that in CA you have so many choices of great timeshares within a reasonable drive time. I live on the East Coast and other than MFV I have little access to the myriad of vacation choices you do. I am seriously thinking of divesting all my outside purchased Marriott weeks and concentrate on my DC points and using them until it becomes too hard to do so.