• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Elara

jjlovecub

TUG Member
Reaction score
I only own weeks (no points) timeshares so I'm just trying to understand HGVC. If I want to buy Elara and only plan on using Elara (I will Always need a 2 bedroom). What do I buy? I thought HGVC was only points but I see resales for weeks on redweek so I was confused. Just want to be sure I am getting what I need. Thanks.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The resales that are weeks are the Westgate units that pre-date HGVC and are weeks only. They can exchange through II. They can use the Westgate internal system although they charge something like $399 to bank and exchange if you own resale. Westgate sold some fixed and some float weeks. They also sold some partial weeks. If you buy a westgate lockoff and want to lock off I think they charge the super high fee for resale owners to lockoff as well. HGVC manages all the units although you would pay the MF to Westgate if you own one of those units. I think but am not sure that float weeks are reserved through HGVC and Westgate hasn't been able to restrict resales to reserving 60 days or less. If you buy a Westgate unit, you might want to make it a fixed week you want to use so you don't have to worry about the drama. Otherwise if you buy a HGVC unit you will also have to pay club dues through HGVC and reserve during home week priority etc.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
With Elara, you need to be clear on whether you are buying a Westgate unit or a HGVC unit. You definitely do not want a Westgate unit... First, its Westgate, and second, they're the orphan no one wants since they're in a building managed by HGVC.

Some Westgate resellers disguise the TS by describing them as being at "HGVC's Elara." But there are telltale signs: With HGVC, you also get a week, but it comes with a point-package, not as an option or conversion, but as a substitute for their use of your week -- stays are only bookable by using points -- and you trade thru RCI (not II).

Last edited:

vegasVIP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Vegas HHonors Diamond
With Elara, you need to be clear on whether you are buying a Westgate unit or a HGVC unit. You definitely do not want a Westgate unit... First, its Westgate, and second, they're the orphan no one wants since they're in a building managed by HGVC.

Some Westgate resellers disguise the TS by describing them as being at "HGVC's Elara." But there are telltale signs: With HGVC, you also get a week, but it comes with a point-package, not as an option or conversion, but as a substitute for their use of your week -- stays are only bookable by using points -- and you trade thru RCI (not II).

Sound advice. If you like Elara, make sure to buy Hilton. I also recommend watching the documentary of its construction and Dirt Bag owner. The movie is called, "The Queen of Versailles" Cheers!

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Another thing to keep in mind with Elara is that technically in classified as a "managed resort", . Quite a few people have been complaining on Facebook that HGVC won't allow an Elara deed for trade if you decide to upgrade. Not sure if that status will change with the announcement last week about HGVC and Black rock buying the building.

I was actually kind of surprised to hear they won't take Elara as a trade, but do wonder if that also means they are less likely to ROFR.

Personally i am not planning any "upgrades, and probably won't let that stop me from buying if i like the resort and the deal.