• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying DC Points???

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own a deeded week at a Marriott Property. Today I either use or rent this week for about $3K.

I am thinking about enrolling this week for about 4500 DC points when I would prefer to use points vs the actual deeded week.

Per Marriott at timeshare preso today... if I only enroll the week for the 4500 points I would have a hard time using those points at other resorts as I dont have access to full inventory of available weeks- I can only really swap with people at other resorts doing the same enrolled weeks for points option.

However if I buy 2K DC points (for about 23K) I would then have access to the full inventory of properties.

This sound accurate?
2K DC points for 23K ish a fair price?

Is there a better way for me to get started in the points program vs paying the full "Marriott" points price?

Any other info would be much appreciated.

thanks!!!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Total B.S. Enrolled points have access to the same resorts as Trust points. They just want to sell you Trust points and clearly will say anything to do so.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Did you purchase pre 2010? If so you can enroll without a purchase. If you need additional points you can rent them from other owner.

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you purchase pre 2010? If so you can enroll without a purchase. If you need additional points you can rent them from other owner.

Yes...I own prior to 2010 and have been told I can enroll. Seems like doing that and renting points is the way to go.

I was mostly concerned about being is a secondary pool when trying to reserve a room/use the points. Seems like that was not accurate info I was given at the preso.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes...I own prior to 2010 and have been told I can enroll. Seems like doing that and renting points is the way to go.

I was mostly concerned about being is a secondary pool when trying to reserve a room/use the points. Seems like that was not accurate info I was given at the preso.
I wouldn’t buy from that site on principle. That was a lie they told you. Enroll your week and rent the points when you need them.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are uncomfortable renting points (like me), then, alternatives to buying direct from Marriott are resale (~$7/point all in) or a Marriott Hybrid Package where they bundle points with another week with the idea that you will use that week as points. Those are typically $7-$8/pt. You can also buy enrolled weeks in some overseas properties like Spain for much less than that. Though, I suspect that will be changing.

The responses are correct, there is no truth to what they told you. Simply enroll your pre 2010 week. After that, you can decide how you want to go from there. Note that renting is a viable strategy. There are however benefits to owning more points (or enrolled weeks) as far as ownership levels that allow things like 30% discounts in point reservations, making them go further, and many others. So, my Spain $4.76/pt week (which gave me 30% level), using those points is essentially $3.33/pt.

Last edited:

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
I have not had an issue booking Destination Point stays using my enrolled week at Lakeshore reserve (October and March), Maui Ocean Club (January), Kauai Beach club (July) and Hilton Head (September).

If purchasing a bundle package (called hybrid on TUG) expect it to be around $7 per point, be careful that the deeded week maintenance fees/cost.

The best price I obtained included credit for an encore package I had (keeping the stay and points from the package) as well as credit for a recent (prior 14 days to presentation) Marriott hotel stay.

Last edited:

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have enrolled my week. When I login to the mvc website it shows as enrolled but also shows that I am using/occupying the week in 2020 (accurate as I already did reserve the week for 2020). For 2021 it does give me the option of using the DC points or occupying.

Since I am using the week in 2020...can I still rent points now? Or do I have to wait till 2021 when/if I choose to points option?

I have a trip later in 2019 and could potentially use a couple thousand DC points.

Is it possible for me to check availability even though I have no points now?

Sorry for questions...I don't trust Marriott will give me a straight answer.

Thanks

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's not too late to cancel your 2020 reservation, convert your enrolled week to points, and advance the 2020 points to 2021 and apply them to your 2021 plans.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have enrolled my week. When I login to the mvc website it shows as enrolled but also shows that I am using/occupying the week in 2020 (accurate as I already did reserve the week for 2020). For 2021 it does give me the option of using the DC points or occupying.

Since I am using the week in 2020...can I still rent points now? Or do I have to wait till 2021 when/if I choose to points option?

I have a trip later in 2019 and could potentially use a couple thousand DC points.

Is it possible for me to check availability even though I have no points now?

Sorry for questions...I don't trust Marriott will give me a straight answer.

Thanks
As long as you have a DC account, you can rent points any time you wish. And yes, you should be able to check availability without having points in your account...there was a recent system upgrade that added that functionality.

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry for bringing this thread up again but have another question.

Today is have one week enrolled that allows me to use home resort week or trade in for DC points.

I also have 3 weeks at same resort that were purchased resale post 2010 that I could not enroll.

Marriott is offering me the option to buy 1000 dc points for 14k ish. This would allow me to then have option of enrolling the other 3 weeks for points option and would give me some 13 month and 1 week advance booking option. That sound accurate?

Any of this make sense to the group? I would really like to have points option for the other 3 weeks but is that worth 14k?

Thanks!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only you can answer if it is worth it based on what you expect to gain? Add on weekdays to weeks reservation? <7 night stays? What are you looking for?

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only you can answer if it is worth it based on what you expect to gain? Add on weekdays to weeks reservation? <7 night stays? What are you looking for?
I guess yes to each. Flexibility in the future to book other resorts and less than a week would be helpful. Also hoping to maybe getter better access to inventory. With my current points I can only book 12 months out.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Executive is ideal for 13 months since you can do as few as 1 day 13 months out. I didn't know they were currently allowing post 2010 with points purchase?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Sorry for bringing this thread up again but have another question.

Today is have one week enrolled that allows me to use home resort week or trade in for DC points.

I also have 3 weeks at same resort that were purchased resale post 2010 that I could not enroll.

Marriott is offering me the option to buy 1000 dc points for 14k ish. This would allow me to then have option of enrolling the other 3 weeks for points option and would give me some 13 month and 1 week advance booking option. That sound accurate?

Any of this make sense to the group? I would really like to have points option for the other 3 weeks but is that worth 14k?

Thanks!

Make sure you get the enrollment of those 3 post-2010 weeks for only 1000 points in writing. Previously, the only way to enroll post-2010 weeks was during their typical summer promotion and even then the requirement was to buy 3000 points to enroll one week and, I think, 4500 points for two weeks, or 5500 points for three to seven weeks. If they truly will let you enroll three weeks for only 1000 points, that's a great deal, but call me skeptical. Get it explicitly in writing.

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get the enrollment of those 3 post-2010 weeks for only 1000 points in writing. Previously, the only way to enroll post-2010 weeks was during their typical summer promotion and even then the requirement was to buy 3000 points to enroll one week and, I think, 4500 points for two weeks, or 5500 points for three to seven weeks. If they truly will let you enroll three weeks for only 1000 points, that's a great deal, but call me skeptical. Get it explicitly in writing.
We asked this several times during the meeting and were assured yes. I will absolutely confirm.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
We asked this several times during the meeting and were assured yes. I will absolutely confirm.

Curious where was the meeting? Where did you get this offer?

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
Curious where was the meeting? Where did you get this offer?
Ocean palms in Palm Beach. If this is not the case I will cancel transaction. The big value here for us is enrolling these three weeks. How long do I have to request a cancel of this purchase.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean palms in Palm Beach. If this is not the case I will cancel transaction. The big value here for us is enrolling these three weeks. How long do I have to request a cancel of this purchase.

The documents should have rescind date in it. Assuming you already signed? If not, I'm not up on how long, I think it's different in different states. Someone else might know.

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
You were right. This transaction did not convert the other three weeks. This was the big value in doing this for us. We will cancel this transaction. We have 10 days to cancel. Thanks again to this board!

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
You were right. This transaction did not convert the other three weeks. This was the big value in doing this for us. We will cancel this transaction. We have 10 days to cancel. Thanks again to this board!

Too bad. That would have been a great deal for sure. Had it been real, I would have been on the phone immediately to ask for the same deal for my unenrolled weeks. But glad you sorted it out in time.

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am done doing these presos, encores,etc. Just not worth it. I am happy with what I have today....no need to change anything.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I am done doing these presos, encores,etc. Just not worth it. I am happy with what I have today....no need to change anything.

It is nice when you come to peace with what you have.

dansimms

TUG Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate my Chairman's discount of 35% on rentals of Vacation Clubs. I got a $129 rate (plus tax) at the NYC Pulse twice in the past month. My true cost, even with my 60 day or less points reservation, actually costs me more. I feel that between this benefit and the fact that I can rent Destination Points, if I need them, I have achieved an ideal level of membership with the program. If they invent a status above Chairman I would be excited to attend a presentation, but it would have to be really special for me to make more of an investment. With lock offs, we have 6 weeks a year and with 2500 Trust Points, mostly used in NYC in under 60 day notice, that gets about 6 or 7 weekday nights and then we use the Chairman discount for another 5 or so city nights. So far, we have never needed to rent any points, but it is nice to see that there is a glut of points to rent at a reasonable one time investment in the range of about 65 cents a point. (Similar to the maintainence fee). We could never justify having a second place in NYC, as our ideal is only having a room from 6 to 15 nights, so we have found this to be an ideal alternative that we can afford. I didn't plan it this way, but it is nice having less points in even years. That frees us up a bit to purchase a cruise, book a Sandals resort or stay at Independent Boutique Hotels and non Marriott properties. We know in the odd years, there isn't much time where we can go outside the program, but in even years we can do other types of travel or spend a little more time close to home.

Last edited:

md1972

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have submitted my written cancellation and have been told it is being processed. Fairly simple process actually. I am still very pissed that I am 100% confident we were told our post 2010 weeks would be enrolled to be used as either points or weeks each year....my wife and and recalled the exact times we discussed this with the rep multiple times. It was not until I double checked this with the lady doing the actual contracts/logistics of the purchase (unfortunately after we signed all the contracts) that we got the real story that those weeks would not be converted. If I had not double checked this with this second person and let it go past the 10 days I am sure this cancellation would have been much more difficult/impossible. I am really finding it hard to believe this was simply a miscommunication.....especially they way the cancellation went so easy....they did not even try to talk me into not cancelling....they just wanted to wash their hands of this transaction as much as I did. Any time I do anything with Marriott again I will want multiple people present and have all details written down.