• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying annual unit, but no points usage till 2021?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I couldn't find an Anderson Ocean Club 1BR for anywhere close to what I am getting the Ocean 22 for. Maybe it's just a timing issue? The one 6200pt Anderson I found was 3-4 times the price I am paying.
The one I “won” on eBay recently started off overpriced for a regular contract while only being EOY. It was initially listed on eBay in a fashion where you could make offers. I think I offered $1,400 to have some negotiation room, and my offer was outright rejected. After that auction ended with no sale, they relisted it as an eBay auction with a low starting price. I “won” that auction for $809. We’ll see what happens with ROFR. Between it being EOY, us being at the end of the year, the fees and maintenance fees built into the sales contract, it might make it through. Fingers crossed.

I agree Myrtle Beach is an oven overlooked value. Some MFs/points are comparable to Vegas. It is easily driveable in a day from me. I is a great place for me to potentially have for both vacation and points.

With patience good deals come up with Anderson. I got a event July 4th week for 8400 points thru an eBay auction. Much more then your paid but overall a great value and the mfs is very good for the points I have.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Heres an update:

The seller decided to cancel their reservation, so now the full 4800pts are available for 2019 usage. They also accepted my offer, which was $1000 less than they were asking. They offered to sell m another 4800pts which they can rescue from 2018 if I want, for an additional $1000. If not, I believe they will keep them, or convert to HHonors points.
Looks like the seller made it attractive for Hilton to buy it back.

What is your offer? What is the total cost to buy listed in the contract? Those are the factors Hilton uses to make it's Rofr decision.

You might get lucky and pass as it is the end of the year when there is less Rofr activity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like the seller made it attractive for Hilton to buy it back.

What is your offer? What is the total cost to buy listed in the contract? Those are the factors Hilton uses to make it's Rofr decision.

You might get lucky and pass as it is the end of the year when there is less Rofr activity.

Purchase price: $2000
Resort transfer fee: $399
MF first year due 2019: $708.75
Taxes first year due 2019: $43.49
Estoppels/waiver: $62
HGVC Activation Fee: $599
Club Dues: $176
Closing Cost: $630

So looks like in total with 2019 fees/dues paid it will run me $4,618.24

What, if any from above, will be presented to Hilton for ROFR? Is it only the $2000 purchase price?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What, if any from above, will be presented to Hilton for ROFR? Is it only the $2000 purchase price?

They get a copy of the contract, so they'll see the various add-ons.
But they discount their own fees+dues, leaving price+closing costs.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score

So technically it will cost HILTON $2630.00 to buy it back. Please keep us posted on the Status.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

This can go either way. If it was Anderson I would bet they wouldn’t exercise rofr. Being it’s Ocean 22 and platinum that might exercise rofr. Let us know as soon as you know.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I certainly will. Out of curiosity, is this Hilton who will be given ROFR or is it the developer/affiliate? If its Hilton, do they have separate budget for each property, or just a budget as a whole for all properties?

Might be a question no one can really answer but was curious if there is any insight to this.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I certainly will. Out of curiosity, is this Hilton who will be given ROFR or is it the developer/affiliate? If its Hilton, do they have separate budget for each property, or just a budget as a whole for all properties?

Might be a question no one can really answer but was curious if there is any insight to this.

I don't know for sure if there are individual budgets, however, since I believe the variables that they consider include price, points, maintenance, and the demand for inventory at a location for the HGVC resales force I don't know how it could be individual budgets

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the developer (Not Hilton) has exercised their ROFR on my deal and I will not be getting it. Just received word today.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unfortunately the developer (Not Hilton) has exercised their ROFR on my deal and I will not be getting it. Just received word today.

So sorry but don’t give up.

That is interesting, didn’t know that could happen with Ocean 22. If what you were told is true, the developer will probably take most that are priced low as they probably make a nice percentage when Hilton sells it again.

You might consider Anderson as it seems they are not exercising much lately or an affiliate with no rofr.

Last edited:

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. But since the seller gave back the 2019 and 2020 points, it made it too attractive for Hilton to let go.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, I heard that Hilton is still actively selling ocean 22. Try Anderson. That would have passed for the same deal.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. But since the seller gave back the 2019 and 2020 points, it made it too attractive for Hilton to let go.
Im not sure if the points would matter as Hilton did not get ROFR, the original developer did - King Cunningham. Since they are the affiliate/owner, do they resell these or does Hilton?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Im not sure if the points would matter as Hilton did not get ROFR, the original developer did - King Cunningham. Since they are the affiliate/owner, do they resell these or does Hilton?
It would make a difference if they had to wait until 2021 to offer it to Hilton they might not have taken it. They get it immediately to offer Hilton. Still want someone else to verify developer is exercising rofr because this was the first time I heard of this for Ocean 22.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would make a difference if they had to wait until 2021 to offer it to Hilton they might not have taken it. They get it immediately to offer Hilton. Still want someone else to verify developer is exercising rofr because this was the first time I heard of this for Ocean 22.
We also did not hear anyone buying this low passing ROFR though.

natarajanv

TUG Member
Reaction score
King Cunningham is the law firm which process ROFR. Google them. South Carolina is a lawyer state for Rofr process, so the process goes to them instead of Orlando according to my broker.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
King Cunningham is the law firm which process ROFR. Google them. South Carolina is a lawyer state for Rofr process, so the process goes to them instead of Orlando according to my broker.

They are the developer's law firm. According to my broker this was exercised by the developer and not Hilton.

Sounds like I should have not made a big deal about the 2019 & 2020 points. Might have even got it cheaper and pass ROFR.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this post because although I passed on the deal from this initial post, I have a similar scenario on a new deal.

I made an offer on another Annual Platinum 1BR for the asking price and seller accepted. Both the listing and the contract I signed showed the full 4800 points available for first usage in 2019. A couple days after I sent the signed contract, my broker notified me the seller does not have point usage till 2020, and asked if I want to proceed.

My question here, is if I proceed, and Hilton waives, am I still able to borrow some of the available 2020 points for a trip this year in 2019? Or will I need to wait till next year to use my new interval?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As long as HGVC activates your account in time to book a place.
There should be time, even if doesn't happen until April or May.
Borrowing is automatic... the system draws the points you need.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this post because although I passed on the deal from this initial post, I have a similar scenario on a new deal.

I made an offer on another Annual Platinum 1BR for the asking price and seller accepted. Both the listing and the contract I signed showed the full 4800 points available for first usage in 2019. A couple days after I sent the signed contract, my broker notified me the seller does not have point usage till 2020, and asked if I want to proceed.

My question here, is if I proceed, and Hilton waives, am I still able to borrow some of the available 2020 points for a trip this year in 2019? Or will I need to wait till next year to use my new interval?

I'll have to look at my Flamingo paperwork, but if it shows points for 2020, then yes, you could borrow for 2019.
Although I'd be re-negotiating since you were originally told 4800 points for 2019 (unless you reimbursed the seller for the MF and they will refund/credit that amount to you now). Otherwise, IMO, it kinda makes you get less for the same amount of money. Just my opinion of course.

cas42021

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look at my Flamingo paperwork, but if it shows points for 2020, then yes, you could borrow for 2019.
Although I'd be re-negotiating since you were originally told 4800 points for 2019 (unless you reimbursed the seller for the MF and they will refund/credit that amount to you now). Otherwise, IMO, it kinda makes you get less for the same amount of money. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks. I agree, it's not ideal. I have not paid MF's, the seller has for 2019, and I confirmed they obviously are not looking to be reimbursed. The only reason I am considering it, is because its priced right based off this issue..and I'm hoping Hilton will be less likely to exercise ROFR as a result of this. Might be a way to get the killer deal I had been waiting for..still not sure what I'm going to do though.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I agree, it's not ideal. I have not paid MF's, the seller has for 2019, and I confirmed they obviously are not looking to be reimbursed. The only reason I am considering it, is because its priced right based off this issue..and I'm hoping Hilton will be less likely to exercise ROFR as a result of this. Might be a way to get the killer deal I had been waiting for..still not sure what I'm going to do though.

I was in something similar with my Flamingo purchase. I didn't have to reimburse for MF, but I didn't have usage for the entire next year (unless I borrowed), but they had priced the unit accordingly (heavily discounted), so it was OK for in my mind.