• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a Mandatory resort vs Voluntary and trading with preference

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You cannot compare trading with Staroptions to trading with Interval. You have MUCH more availability with Staroption exchanges - especially at the top resorts during high season.

Vistana controls what is deposited with Interval - not owners, and at the top resorts, Vistana only deposits off-season weeks, and not very many of them.

*There is a database for maintenance fees linked at the top of this forum.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Question about Star options

Can you book less than full weeks at 8 months. Most of the time I will want 3-5 days. I read somewhere that you could only book shorts stays at 3 months.

Borrowing star options
Can you borrow from next year ?
What are the rules for that.

I think I have banking figured out.

Looking forward to being a Westin Owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can book any length of stay at 8 months - up to 21 nights.
To borrow from the next year, you have to pay the maintenance fee in full for the next year.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Question about Star options

Can you book less than full weeks at 8 months. Most of the time I will want 3-5 days. I read somewhere that you could only book shorts stays at 3 months.

It used to be that way but for a few years or longer we have been able to reserve less than a week at eight months.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you have multiple star option weeks do they charge you more than one VSN fees

If it’s only one fee does it go up every time you add more points ?

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have multiple star option weeks do they charge you more than one VSN fees

If it’s only one fee does it go up every time you add more points ?

the 1st contract is around $140 and $50 for the second. After that there are no additional fees.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any disadvantage having too small points packages from different resorts other than the 50.00

Pros would have two home resorts

Cons would have to wait until 8 month mark if I wanted to use combined points for a larger unit at one of the resorts

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can book any length of stay at 8 months - up to 21 nights.
To borrow from the next year, you have to pay the maintenance fee in full for the next year.

Any limitations as far booking window or just pay the MF and now you have next years points ?

I assume you can borrow a part of your points and don’t have to borrow all of them

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Any disadvantage having too small points packages from different resorts other than the 50.00

Pros would have two home resorts

Cons would have to wait until 8 month mark if I wanted to use combined points for a larger unit at one of the resorts

I believe that con exists even if you own two packages at the same resort. You can't combine them at the 12 month mark to get a larger unit as your home resort booking(s) are always as per contracted ownership.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any limitations as far booking window or just pay the MF and now you have next years points ?

I assume you can borrow a part of your points and don’t have to borrow all of them

you can only borrow the exact amount you are short for a specific booking, and you can only do it 8mos in advance and you have to call in to do it

if you own an EOY you can only borrow in to a use year (odd to odd, even to even)

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
you can only borrow the exact amount you are short for a specific booking, and you can only do it 8mos in advance and you have to call in to do it

if you own an EOY you can only borrow in to a use year (odd to odd, even to even)

Could you modify to hold availability?

Ie book 4 nights when your window opens at midnight, then call the next morning to pay/borrow and modify the 4 nights to longer using the borrowed staroptions?

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you modify to hold availability?

Ie book 4 nights when your window opens at midnight, then call the next morning to pay/borrow and modify the 4 nights to longer using the borrowed staroptions?

there would be no guarantee that you could get a single booking for the longer period, but if there was, I'm not sure if they can extend the booking or (more likely) would have to cancel the initial 4 nights and book the longer period

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The 221 savings is not enough to justify the extra 7k in purchase price. Pretty sure I could make 81k star options work but would rather get a two bedroom lock off for 95k star option. Anyone know the MF on that one. Also I hate the idea of owning in Orlando because I can always trade to Orlando with cheap traders

I know longer need two bedrooms units so trading for studio and one bedroom unit with a voluntary in II is also an option

I just picked up an EOY SVV Key West 95,700 to go along with my Annual SVV KW 2 LO worth 95,700. MF last year for annual was 1499 not including the VSN fee. I’m expecting to pay 2445 annually for my 95,700 odd year then combo of 190K star options in even years with my EY/EOYE. For reference I purchased resale annual 2 years ago for 1000 purchase price and just paid as of Friday $500 purchase price for the EOY.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
there would be no guarantee that you could get a single booking for the longer period, but if there was, I'm not sure if they can extend the booking or (more likely) would have to cancel the initial 4 nights and book the longer period

If you’re going to do that I’d just borrow the points before making the reservation... or if you make the reservation for 4 nights at midnight 8mo, make it for 4 days then 4 days later make another reservation for 4 more days at midnight8mo. You can’t modify to my knowledge. They just would have to cancel then re run availability. It’s just better to add with another reservation.

kiapgh23e

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an EOY SVV Key West 95,700 to go along with my Annual SVV KW 2 LO worth 95,700. MF last year for annual was 1499 not including the VSN fee. I’m expecting to pay 2445 annually for my 95,700 odd year then combo of 190K star options in even years with my EY/EOYE. For reference I purchased resale annual 2 years ago for 1000 purchase price and just paid as of Friday $500 purchase price for the EOY.

Sorry to hijack but your post touches on a question I was thinking about on my survey thread. Can you bank your EY KW (say 2020) to your EY/EOYE? In essence have 285K in 2021.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Sorry to hijack but your post touches on a question I was thinking about on my survey thread. Can you bank your EY KW (say 2020) to your EY/EOYE? In essence have 285K in 2021.
Yes, when you bank your SOs are good for another two years. So 2020 SOs banked would be added to and can be combined with 2021 or 2022 StarOptions for use.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes. You can also bank the eoy to the next two years. However you cannot bring an even year into an odd year. For example, I’m scheduled to get points in 2021 say in an odd year arrangement. You cannot bring those 2021 (odd) forward to 2020 (even) but you an bring the 2021 odd year forward to 2019 another odd year. Banking however is different. You have two years from banked whether it’s an annual or a every other year contract.

Annual deeded weeks can be banked and pulled forward each year. Every other year can only be pulled forward into like years. Odd to odd or even to even depending on which you own. In short, yes they will overlap and I will have a ton of options lol. I’ll have 300K options between the 51K banked this year and what will renew next.

Last edited:

kiapgh23e

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes. You can also bank the eoy to the next two years. However you cannot bring an even year into an odd year. For example, I’m scheduled to get points in 2021 say in an odd year arrangement. You cannot bring those 2021 (odd) forward to 2020 (even) but you an bring the 2021 odd year forward to 2019 another odd year. Banking however is different. You have two years from banked whether it’s an annual or a every other year contract.

Annual deeded weeks can be banked and pulled forward each year. Every other year can only be pulled forward into like years. Odd to odd or even to even depending on which you own. In short, yes they will overlap and I will have a ton of options lol. I’ll have 300K options between the 51K banked this year and what will renew next.

Great info. Thank you.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

@CPNY This is a very helpful explanation. Just to confirm that I understand this correctly:

Example: EOY contract Odd next points 2021:

* The 2021 SO Points can be pulled into 2019 but not 2020.
* The 2021 SO Points can be banked and used 2022 or 2023. (i.e. 2 years to used banked)

Lastly, what is the best source to find SVV deals for Bella or Key West?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
@CPNY This is a very helpful explanation. Just to confirm that I understand this correctly:

* The 2021 SO Points can be banked and used 2022 or 2023. (i.e. 2 years to used banked)

You can look on EBay, TUG MarketPlace, or Redweek for KeyWest or Bella. I have purchased off of all 3.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You can look on EBay, TUG MarketPlace, or Redweek for KeyWest or Bella. I have purchased off of all 3.
@CalGalTraveler Red week has an annual at 1400. I’ve actually had great success with sellmytimesharenow.com. Their listed prices are in the thousands but then when you speak to an agent you offer a few hundred bucks. Just got an annual key west two weeks ago for 700 purchase price. They were asking 10,000 LOL 3 weeks ago on marketplace I picked up an EOY for 300. Only things I’ve seen on EBay so far have been lower season units. For 67K or flex units. Beginning of fall is a good time to look. More listings come up since everyone is using their ownership to travel lol. I was going to sell my key west plat lockout but booked spring break next march so I guess I’ll sell it next summer for 2021 usage lol.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Also check myresortnetwork dot com. I got odd year Bella 81k for $100.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Westin Kierland is a good option. At the same time, you have to spend more upfront than if you buy Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West are mandatory)
You would receive 81,000 Staroptions for:
- 1 Bedroom premium Westin Kierland
cost around 8.5k, maintenece fees $960

2 bedroom platinum Sheraton Vistana Villages, Bella section
cost around 1.5k ,maintenece fees $1,181

Now it is for you to decide whether a $221 save in MF is worth spending 7k more upfront.

I would save the $$$ upfront

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Also check myresortnetwork dot com. I got odd year Bella 81k for $100.
When did you get that for 100? Must have been a bit ago. I feel like prices have gone way up. Seems like there are less out there