• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying a Mandatory resort vs Voluntary and trading with preference

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I am trying not to buy another timeshare but the bug has bitten and I have the itch.
My very first timeshare presentation was Westin Kierland many years ago when it was brand new. I liked the program and the resorts. I did not buy from Westin but found TUG and starting buying other resales. Since then I cant count them all but I have had Marriotts , HGVC, Wyndham, and lots of independents timeshares but never a Starwood.

Mandatory resort will cost me some money up front but has star options and a voluntary I can probably get for free but will end up paying II exchange fees on top of MF.

Which way works best for those that already own Westin/Vistana ?

Feel free to talk me out of both options!! I am trying to be strong and resist the urge but I already looked on ebay and the TUG bargain basement thread and that made the itch worse.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Spend the money on Westin Kierland and use the SO's. I cannot use another timeshare, so I have yet to do it, but I would pay the $14K or whatever to get a 2 bed Kierland with max Options.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy,
Your not doing a very good job of talking me out of buying another time share. My fear is that those mandatory units would depreciate in value over time Is Vistana propping up those price with ROFR or is that a real market price.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Cindy,
Your not doing a very good job of talking me out of buying another time share. My fear is that those mandatory units would depreciate in value over time Is Vistana propping up those price with ROFR or is that a real market price.

The price of a resale 148100 Kierland unit hasn't changed much in the past few years. It was in the low/mid $20's before The Great Recession and in the mid-teens since. We paid the 2006 price but are happy with it nonetheless (it's been a very profitable renter when we didn't use the StarOptions ourselves).

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
There is no ROFR at Westin Kierland.
Cool. I would love to buy one, but Rick told me to sell some first. It's kind of like choosing what kitten to give away. I cannot do it!

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We are a Westin/Sheraton as well. Because we are a family of 7 w/ young children, traveling off season works best so we have Mandatory and Voluntary Gold Plus Season. We already own on Big Island so our focus is really w/in driving distance or cheap airfare.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Kierland is a good option. At the same time, you have to spend more upfront than if you buy Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West are mandatory)
You would receive 81,000 Staroptions for:
- 1 Bedroom premium Westin Kierland
cost around 8.5k, maintenece fees $960

2 bedroom platinum Sheraton Vistana Villages, Bella section
cost around 1.5k ,maintenece fees $1,181

Now it is for you to decide whether a $221 save in MF is worth spending 7k more upfront.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think at least partially it depends where you want to go and what size you need. Vistana is depositing almost no two bedroom units into II anymore (only where they don't have lock-offs) so getting a 2 bedroom through II is unlikely, even with preference. If you would normally book 1 bedroom or studio units anyway though, a good voluntary trader will be much cheaper than the mandatory options. Less flexibility (weeklong stays, only where they deposit), but less money.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I am trying not to buy another timeshare but the bug has bitten and I have the itch.
My very first timeshare presentation was Westin Kierland many years ago when it was brand new. I liked the program and the resorts. I did not buy from Westin but found TUG and starting buying other resales. Since then I cant count them all but I have had Marriotts , HGVC, Wyndham, and lots of independents timeshares but never a Starwood.

Mandatory resort will cost me some money up front but has star options and a voluntary I can probably get for free but will end up paying II exchange fees on top of MF.

Which way works best for those that already own Westin/Vistana ?

Feel free to talk me out of both options!! I am trying to be strong and resist the urge but I already looked on ebay and the TUG bargain basement thread and that made the itch worse.

We bought WKV 1BR Premium with 81k SO’s and are very happy with it. We wanted a resort that we would want to use if we didn’t trade using SO’s. Prices since we bought resale have seemed pretty level and we have received great value from our ownership. Being in Texas it would be easy for you to travel to either location, so that gives you more flexibility. We are on the west coast, so WKV made the most sense even though it cost more up front.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards.

Mike

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I think at least partially it depends where you want to go and what size you need. Vistana is depositing almost no two bedroom units into II anymore (only where they don't have lock-offs) so getting a 2 bedroom through II is unlikely, even with preference. If you would normally book 1 bedroom or studio units anyway though, a good voluntary trader will be much cheaper than the mandatory options. Less flexibility (weeklong stays, only where they deposit), but less money.

Westin Kierland is a good option. At the same time, you have to spend more upfront than if you buy Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West are mandatory)

Now it is for you to decide whether a $221 save in MF is worth spending 7k more upfront.

Does this mean SVV is a better choice than SDO or SBP. You can trade through II but you can also use staroptions is you don't get a good exchcange.

Any insights into the trade power of platinum weeks at WKV, SDO, SVV and SBP?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean SVV is a better choice than SDO or SBP. You can trade through II but you can also use staroptions is you don't get a good exchcange.

Any insights into the trade power of platinum weeks at WKV, SDO, SVV and SBP?

I would rate the trade power of these in II as follows:

Plat WKV, true Plat SDO, 1-52 SDO, SBP, and then SVV plat. The differences between any of them aren't huge, and in most cases all would see the same stuff. There are pretty dramatic cost differences among those options however.

I think SVV suffers in II from being in Orlando, which is pretty over built.

Last edited:

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
I would rate the trade power of these in II as follows:

Plat WKV, true Plat SDO, 1-52 SDO, SBP, and then SVV plat. The differences between any of them aren't huge, and in most cases all would see the same stuff. There are pretty dramatic cost differences among those options however.

I think SVV suffers in II from being in Orlando, which is pretty over built.

Interesting. That probably explains the high buy in prices of WKV. I would have thought Phoenix and Palm Springs are also overbuilt but I guess not like Orlando.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. That probably explains the high buy in prices of WKV. I would have thought Phoenix and Palm Springs are also overbuilt but I guess not like Orlando.

Nah - WKV is expensive for lots of reasons:

1) it's the nicest resort on your list, so high use value

2) it has a great ratio of staroptions to MF for a mandatory resort

3) probably the biggest is that you can earn a good return renting them out, which keeps the price high because it stops people from selling, since they can just rent at a profit.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The 221 savings is not enough to justify the extra 7k in purchase price. Pretty sure I could make 81k star options work but would rather get a two bedroom lock off for 95k star option. Anyone know the MF on that one. Also I hate the idea of owning in Orlando because I can always trade to Orlando with cheap traders

I know longer need two bedrooms units so trading for studio and one bedroom unit with a voluntary in II is also an option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Will SDO 1 bedroom be a good II trader. I only need 1 bedroom in exchange.

What is the 2019 MF for those ?
How can I tell the difference between a 1 bedroom and I bedroom premier
Is it based on unit number ?

Would I be better off with a 2 bedroom SDO

All I really want is to get inside this preference with a cheap good trader?

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

There’s Std and Premium. STD is under $700 while Premium is close to $900. I believe 2bd LO is $1200.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

You should consider the Kierland shoulder season small one bedroom unit. I own two of them, I used to own two SDO one bedroom units, and they seem to trade the same (I was almost always using the Vistana-to-Vistana preference).

Kierland is mandatory. No ROFR.

MF's = $604; essentially the same as SDO

Cost to purchase = $0 (my most recent cost $351 including escrow fees with a free use year thrown in)

Disadvantage: Kierland is mandatory, so you must pay the VSN fee of ~$150/year. VSN provides an Interval membership, but only for this unit.

Advantages: It trades as a one bedroom (as does SDO). You also get 37000 StarOptions as an alternative. Not a lot, but sometimes useful for topping off another reservation. If you own other VSN units the VSE fee is reduced or waived. Plus my unwarranted and unsubstantiated belief that Kierland will be treated better than SDO in the eventual Marriott/Vistana integration.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to exchange, a great option is to buy the small 1bdr platinum season at the Sheraton Vistana Resort, the Cascades phase. The MF are only $480. I have only had it for few months but the trading power seems to be very good

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should consider the Kierland shoulder season small one bedroom unit. I own two of them, I used to own two SDO one bedroom units, and they seem to trade the same (I was almost always using the Vistana-to-Vistana preference).

Cost to purchase = $0 (my most recent cost $351 including escrow fees with a free use year thrown in)

Disadvantage: Kierland is mandatory, so you must pay the VSN fee of ~$150/year. VSN provides an Interval membership, but only for this unit.

Advantages: It trades as a one bedroom (as does SDO). You also get 37000 StarOptions as an alternative. Not a lot, but sometimes useful for topping off another reservation. If you own other VSN units the VSE fee is reduced or waived. Plus my unwarranted and unsubstantiated belief that Kierland will be treated better than SDO in the eventual Marriott/Vistana integration.

OK i am going to try this. If it works and I like the vistana system i can always buy more resale points later

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club

Gold Plus or Silver Season.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am going for a gold 37,000 point week

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
I have a SVV Bella (mandatory) 2 bedroom lockoff EOY (had it about 8 years now). Have used staroptions to go to Harborside and Westin St John (with a bit of work/flexibility at the 8 month mark), and will go to Hawaii Kaanapali next year. The higher 95,100 options of the lockoff come in handy. MF is about $1650, plus the $150 club dues. I was interested in the the Kierland route to get into the (then Starwood) system, but couldn't justify the significantly higher purchase price (even though the maintenance-fee-per-option ratio is better at Kierland than SVV).

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
I am going for a gold 37,000 point week

The 37000 week is now gold plus (it used to be gold; this season is weeks 22-27 & 36-49).

The summer weeks (weeks 28-35, which used to be silver) are now gold.

Grade inflation.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
The 37000 week is now gold plus (it used to be gold); this season is weeks 22-27 & 36-49).

The summer weeks (weeks 28-35, which used to be silver) are now gold.

Grade inflation.
Thanks.