• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buy SVV-use SO

dokken88

Reaction score
After reading and researching to death..question is:
Buy 2 gold weeks 2br at SVV = 81 SO.
In a nutshell..looking for cheapest way to get 135k SO to use at WSJ.
Maybe find 3br at SVV( Do know its only Bella and Key West for SO)
Good plan?
How soon and easy is it using SO to book at WSJ..3 weeks all back to back?
THANKS!!

Last edited:

Smithsingeneva

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN (resale)
After reading and researching to death..question is:
Buy 2 gold weeks 2br at SVV = 81 SO.
In a nutshell..looking for cheapest way to get 135k SO to use at WSJ.
Maybe find 3br at SVV( Do know its only Bella and Key West for SO)
Good plan?
How soon and easy is it using SO to book at WSJ..3 weeks all back to back?
THANKS!!

Do you mean cheapest over a long period of time, or upfront costs?

If the former, many will say purchasing WKV high season is best MF value over long term, even though upfront cost is likely around $15k.

If you are looking for lower upfront cost but higher MF (and hence lower value per SO) you may want to consider SVV mandatory high season. Upfront cost will be around $1500 but these are harder to find than the Gold seasons.

WSJ is currently closed due to the hurricanes. I tried to book WSJ through SO several times over the past 4-5 years and there was never availability. I have young kids so my travel times are during busier periods.

dokken88

Reaction score
Do you mean cheapest over a long period of time, or upfront costs?

If the former, many will say purchasing WKV high season is best MF value over long term, even though upfront cost is likely around $15k.

If you are looking for lower upfront cost but higher MF (and hence lower value per SO) you may want to consider SVV mandatory high season. Upfront cost will be around $1500 but these are harder to find than the Gold seasons.

WSJ is currently closed due to the hurricanes. I tried to book WSJ through SO several times over the past 4-5 years and there was never availability. I have young kids so my travel times are during busier periods.
We have been staying at WSJ since 04 and go during peak hurricane season. Always go any of 1st 3 weeks of October. Resort is nearly empty as is island.
It appears SVV or WKV is way to go. We need about 135K SO to do 3 weeks WSJ. SVV can basically be had for about free. 3 BDR at SVV will get us points for MF of about 2k a year.
Do you know if we have to purchase the same week or season at Home Resort that we want to use SO for?
Thanks again for reply!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Do you know if we have to purchase the same week or season at Home Resort that we want to use SO for?

No, once you are making a SO rez it doesn't matter what your original ownership is. Season or week only matters when making a home resort rez.

dokken88

Reaction score
Thanks!! I consider myself "somewhat" informed on this process but the deeper I dig, the LESS I KNOW!.
Im basically doing this for end result of cheapeast way to get 3 weeks at WSJ.
Have been buying weeks from owners, but it appears I could do it a tad cheaper this route.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I certainly wouldn't buy SVV with the hopes of using the SOs to go to WSJ for three weeks in a row. I really wouldn't buy anywhere with the hopes of that except to actually buy three back to back fixed weeks at WSJ. WSJ is far too difficult to book. I have read that even fall availability is tough through VSN, which seems odd when you say that the resort has low occupancy during that time.

dokken88

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't buy SVV with the hopes of using the SOs to go to WSJ for three weeks in a row. I really wouldn't buy anywhere with the hopes of that except to actually buy three back to back fixed weeks at WSJ. WSJ is far too difficult to book. I have read that even fall availability is tough through VSN, which seems odd when you say that the resort has low occupancy during that time.
Yes that would be odd, as every October when we go I would guess 30% occupancy? Usually on hillside where we stay only 2-3 units per building being used. Other WSJ folks have said MAY work for October time frame. I guess need to decide to roll dice or not.
Thanks for reply!

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
IN response to your question on mandantory at SVV is Key West and Bella. You should look for a 2 bedroom high season/Platinum Not Gold. Non Lock off is 81,000 the Lock Off give 97,500.

wtrjock

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali South
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
Sheraton Vistana Villages Keywest
I bought 2 SVV Key West weeks last year for $1500 each on eBay. MF are $2300 for 162000 SO. Long term the MF will be more than WKV, but I didn't want the large initial cost. Thought I would give you an example.

dokken88

Reaction score
I bought 2 SVV Key West weeks last year for $1500 each on eBay. MF are $2300 for 162000 SO. Long term the MF will be more than WKV, but I didn't want the large initial cost. Thought I would give you an example.
Thats EXACTLY the kind of deal I'm looking for. I need 2 67k SO units and I would be set! Im just going to keep looking.
Thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Thats EXACTLY the kind of deal I'm looking for. I need 2 67k SO units and I would be set! Im just going to keep looking.
Thanks!
67,100 units are pretty common. THough they aren't the best long term deal. To get the best bang for the MF buck, you need to go for the 81,000 2BR. Of course, the 81,000 will have an upfront cost closer to $1,500 where you can get the 67,000 for a hundred bucks or even free.