• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bus ride from hell

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
We boarded a bus outside of Lagunamar to Selecto Chedraui. Less than 5 minutes into our trip, another bus pulled out and cut our bus off. Our driver was so mad that he chased the other bus all the way into downtown Cancun, without stopping at ANY bus stop, until he cut the other bus off near Wal-Mart in downtown Cancun. He jumped out and ran back to the other bus where he wanted to fight the other bus driver. Even the locals were scared. They told us to get off the bus, walk over to Wal-Mart, and take the bus back into the Hotel Zone to Selecto. We got off the bus there and there was a couple of squads of Mexican Army MPs there. At that point we decided to take a taxi home and call it a day.My wife is now afraid to take the bus. It’s our third year here, but I guess we will be spending a few more pesos to get around town in the future- I mean, the taxi drivers are not that great either ( some guy pulled up to our driver yesterday heading back from our Dolphin Discovery day) and called him a pinche viejo for cutting him off... but we didn’t think we would die in a taxi.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I don’t blame your wife, I would be afraid to ride the bus after that incident. Glad you were not hurt.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
My understanding is that there are 2 bus companies in Cancun / and they compete for riders
in the hotel zone route .

My guess is that the “ cut off your bus “was not accidental .
and It sounds like things got out of hand .

Glad everyone on the bus was fine afterwards.

If life was entirely predictable ........
(I would never go on vacation)

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
At first, this story made me laugh. It felt too unbelievable to be true and like something in a movie. Then I realized the OP might not have meant it to be funny. I suspect there was pure terror among the people on the bus while this was happening. I, too, would be scared to take a bus in Mexico after this experience. Let your wife know she is not alone. So sorry this happened to you.

BTW, I was once held hostage on a public bus in San Francisco. This story is comical. Someone complained that someone else stole something from her. The bus driver took it in his own hands to find the thief. He would not let anyone get off the bus. He said the thief needed to give the stuff back and no one could leave until that happened.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have a Mexican bus story as well. This happened many years ago, and I don't remember which city this happened in, but it was one of the major cruise ports.

My wife and I took an excursion from a cruise ship on a west coast Mexican itinerary. The tour bus was stopped at a traffic light when a truck went by, sideswiping the rear of the bus as it passed. The truck did not stop. The driver and the tour guide looked at each other, and then we were off, chasing the truck. Over the next several minutes, our tour bus was in hot pursuit, speeding after the truck as we circled around and around a town square. It seems ridiculous now, but the passengers cheered the bus driver on as we gradually closed in on the truck. The race ended when the truck driver finally gave it up, decided to stop, and exchanged information with the bus driver.

It's a crazy world out there....

KevSki

TUG Member
Reaction score
I talked to one of the bellmen at Lagunamar yesterday about our bus “ride”. He told us to only ride the red buses, because the other bus drivers are “really crazy”. Unfortunately for us, we had taken one of the white R2 buses☹️

rolly

Reaction score
heading back to cancun airport at 6am ..while on the highway cruising at 70~80 km/h the damn idiot driver of Best Day Travel fell asleep at the wheel. I was right behind and sensed at once and yelled at the driver to "brake, brake, brake". Thank goodness he woke up in time to slam on the brake to avoid jackknifing the van into the back of a semi trailer which had stopped at a red light...he veered to the right and once again narrowly missed a car in right hand lane. My whole family would have died, all 5 of us as we were all sitting behind the driver. There were other passengers, a young family with two kids and a young man sitting way back in the van. We were so scared that I made sure he stay awake for the rest of the journey to the airport.....

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
heading back to cancun airport at 6am ..while on the highway cruising at 70~80 km/h the damn idiot driver of Best Day Travel fell asleep at the wheel. I was right behind and sensed at once and yelled at the driver to "brake, brake, brake". Thank goodness he woke up in time to slam on the brake to avoid jackknifing the van into the back of a semi trailer which had stopped at a red light...he veered to the right and once again narrowly missed a car in right hand lane. My whole family would have died, all 5 of us as we were all sitting behind the driver. There were other passengers, a young family with two kids and a young man sitting way back in the van. We were so scared that I made sure he stay awake for the rest of the journey to the airport.....

Holy cow! So glad you quickly realized what was happening!

rolly

Reaction score
the strange thing about this whole incident was that...I was the only person who confronted the driver when we were at the airport parking lot and told him "you just about killed us" all he said was he was sorry and quickly drove off. The other young family was too much in shock, just like my family. The young man didn't show any emotions and just picked his baggage and headed towards the airport arrival gate....really amazing.
This was our first trip to Mexico....just want to know from you guys...what is the safest travel to/from airport you use?