• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breville Mini Pie Maker: Love It!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Ok, this is hilarious.

A few technical points:
1. I am shocked the puff pastry box would say it is ok to microwave it to thaw. Puff pastry "puffs" because it contains layers and layers of flour interspersed with butter. Butter is made of fat and water. When pastry is cooked, the butter melts and steam is released, separating the dough into layers. It is imperative that none of the butter melts at any point during the process of working with the dough, hence the admonition to keep the dough chilled. Even over handling the dough can cause enough of the butter to melt prior to baking, resulting in a flabby crust. Microwaving seems almost certain to result in enough butter meltage to ruin the puff. Defrost in the fridge for a day.
2. Your definately need to have everything ready to go and to work quickly once you get the pies in the cooker. The dough will start to shrink when it gets hot and if the bottom crust shrinks before you get the top in place, you won't get a good crimp. Mr. H is now fully trained in bottom crust placement, that has helped quite a bit. I do not flour the pusher, not necessary if you start with cold dough and work quickly.
3. While you have the rolling pin out and the counter dirty, just go ahead and roll out the entire package of pie dough and puff pastry and cut into circles. Compact discs covered in tin foil are the perfect size to place between the cut dough circles to keep them from sticking to each other. You can then make a stack of dough, CD spacer, dough, etc. Wrap in 2 layers of plastic wrap, place in a freezer bag and then place in fridge for a few days or freezer for a month or so. This will streamline your process quite a bit.
4. Be totally obsessive about keeping the dough cold. Roll out your bottom crust, cut as many as you can, place cut dough rounds in fridge, roll out more dough, cut more rounds out, place the new rounds in fridge, etc. Treat the doughs as if ambient temperature is toxic to them.

Yes, it would definately be easier to buy a pie. But it would not taste as good.

When we get back from Hawaii I will start the process of trying to figure out how to make a good crust for the pie maker. That way I can argue that the pie maker saves us from frankeningredients....

H

Despite this comedy of errors, the pies taste delicious, and some of them even looked pretty! (photos to follow)

Lessons Learned:
1. Read and Reread all directions and advice before starting.
2. Don’t just read everyone’s advice, follow it!
3. Have everything ready before starting.
4. LISTEN TO SCOOP! The crust, board, rolling pin, etc must be COLD
5. Don't give DD pies near where she is sitting in the car.

I got the Bella pie maker (Kohl’s) for Christmas, and right away bought refrigerated pie crust dough and frozen puff pastry dough, as recommended. I decided to start with mini pumpkin pies, since I had a can of pumpkin and a can of evaporated milk on hand. I started out ok, oiling and preheating as instructed. I also read the instruction book and checked TUG to ensure that Heath said to make the pumpkin pie using the recipe on the can.

First Big Mistake:
The package of puff pastry dough said I could thaw it by microwaving for 90 seconds. It didn’t say that when you microwave frozen dough for 90 seconds you end up with warm glop. The dough had been folded in thirds, and it’s really really hard to unfold glop.

No problem, I’d just roll it out and have 3x the layers. Did that.

Second Big Mistake:
Left the warm flat dough on the board on the counter instead of putting it in the refrigerator or freezer. Yes, Scoop, I know :rolleyes:

Third Big Mistake:
Started making the pie filling after rolling and cutting the dough, instead of before.

Followed the directions on the can, beat the eggs, fished out the broken shell pieces (should have broken each egg into a separate bowl first), beat in the sugar and spices, pierced the can of evaporated milk with a “church key” can opener, and started pouring it in. It was very thin and watery.

Fourth Big Mistake:
Didn’t shake the can well before opening and pouring.

No problem, removed the lid with a rotary can opener and scooped out the “custard” at the bottom, and beat it in.

Filling’s done, time to make the pies. Filling seems a bit too liquidy.....forgot Heath's extra flour. Used a spatula to lift/scrape circles of warm dough from the board, and put them over the bottom “pans”. Squished them down with the plastic dough squisher.

Fifth Big Mistake:
Didn’t flour the dough squisher. I lifted it and the dough was stuck to it. Tried peeling it off with my fingers and ended up with a warm gloppy mess.

I got a bowl with some flour and floured the squisher, and the other three circles stayed in the pie maker rather than sticking to the squisher, BUT they seemed to shrink in, not staying out around the pretty fluted edge. Dough too warm? Well duh, not only was it warm to begin with, but it was sitting over the preheated bottom "pans" getting even warmer. See Mistakes One, Two, and Three.

Quickly re-rolled the rest of the warm dough, cut a circle, floured the squisher, and succeeded in positioning and squishing the fourth bottom crust.

Ran back to the direction book to see how much filling to use – hmmm, warnings about not putting in too little or too much, and just rough guidelines for the amount. I used a half cup measure, but that seemed like too much, so I probably used about a third cup each. (Later cross sections of pies cut in half showed air between the top of the filling and the bottom of the top crust, so I could have used a bit more filling.)

Started cutting the top crusts from the now VERY warm puff pastry dough. It stuck to the cutter, stuck to the board, lost shape when I picked it up. Used odd pieces to patch holes and edges. See Mistakes One, Two, and Three.

Finished assembling the pies, closed the lid, and timed the suggested 14 minutes, peeking frequently. The pies were actually quite pretty except for the patches – despite the mistakes, it worked!

While those were cooking, I re-rolled the EVEN WARMER trimmings (separately) to try to get four top and four bottom crusts. I did manage to cut out that many from the now very thin dough, but by the time the first four pies were done and I was ready to place the very thin and very warm crusts, they fell apart, shrank, stuck, etc. I took all the dough – both types – squished it together, rolled it out, and somehow managed to make four bottom crusts (complete with lots of patchwork) and two top crusts (ditto), so had two double-crust pies and two open-faced ones.

Cooked them for 12 minutes – they looked pretty sloppy, but still tasted good!

Next Mistake - but not mine Used foil to wrap up the two very-best-looking pies to give DD and her BF. Gave them to her in the car; she put them on the seat next to her and then shifted around and sat on them. (Not my mistake so I’m not counting it.)

Possible next mistake The next night, talked DH into keeping me company while I made more pies to use up the rest of the filling. (This may have been the Sixth Big Mistake.)

Beat some extra flour into the filling per Heath's suggestion.

This time the dough was cold, and the dough and board stayed in the refrigerator whenever I wasn’t actually using the dough. The first four bottom crusts still stuck to the squisher even though it was floured; DH decided it would be better to press them in with a spoon or his fingers (no, no burns). I thought the best solution was to use the press but then hold the crusts down with a spoon while pulling up the squisher. We didn’t reach an agreement. Used bits of dough to patch holes and edges.

Skipped top crusts, baked 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, I realized we didn’t have enough dough for four more bottom crusts, only two, so decided to use some of the frozen puff pastry dough. Sawed off about 1/3 from the end of the frozen dough, and put the rest back in the freezer. Put the piece of dough in the microwave for 30 seconds – part of it got warm and bubbly, but it survived. Managed to unfold it - sort of - rolled it out and cut two bottom crusts, put the board and cut out crusts into the refrigerator. Took the regular dough and board out of the fridge, rolled, and cut. Again, used a combination of floured press, spoon, fingers, and patches to create the four bottom crusts, two with regular dough and two with puff pastry dough. Not pretty…..but filled them and cooked them open-faced, and they were still yummy. (PS - the puff pastry DID work for the bottoms.)

DH came to the conclusion that it’d be a lot easier to use a store-bought pie crust and a tinfoil-pan and bake it in the oven, or just buy a pie. I tried to convince him that this was fun and the mini-pies were cute, but I don’t think I was successful.

We both decided that it might work better to form the crusts in a cold piemaker, and then freeze the pre-shaped crusts for later use. I'm going to try that.

Next up, chicken pot pies, following Heath’s recipe of course!

PS to Muranojo - it stands up and literally takes up about the same space as a bag of potato chips or pretzels, so I just stood it up on the same pantry shelf where those live.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, this is hilarious.

It was a pretty funny experience, but nothing can possibly be as funny as Scoop's posts about Costco and Fried Alien Esophagi - I'm laughing and crying just thinking about them!!!

A few technical points:
1. I am shocked the puff pastry box would say it is ok to microwave it to thaw. . . .

Yup, I just double-checked the package. Defrost out on the counter for 20 minutes or microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

2. . . . The dough will start to shrink when it gets hot and if the bottom crust shrinks before you get the top in place, you won't get a good crimp. Mr. H is now fully trained in bottom crust placement, that has helped quite a bit. I do not flour the pusher, not necessary if you start with cold dough and work quickly...

Aha - it WAS the heat shrinking the dough. Can you help me with a bit of online training for bottom crust placement, other than COLD?

3. While you have the rolling pin out and the counter dirty, just go ahead and roll out the entire package of pie dough and puff pastry and cut into circles. Compact discs covered in tin foil are the perfect size to place between the cut dough circles . . .

What a fabulous idea! But when I'm read to use the circles, wouldn't I need to let (at least) the bottom ones thaw a bit so they don't crack when pushed down? I'm also going to try pre-molding my bottom crusts, layering them with waxed paper prior to freezing.

4. Be totally obsessive about keeping the dough cold. Roll out your bottom crust, cut as many as you can, place cut dough rounds in fridge, roll out more dough, cut more rounds out, place the new rounds in fridge, etc. . . .

Yes, I will - or I'll do the frozen circles and possibly frozen shaped bottoms method!

When we get back from Hawaii I will start the process of trying to figure out how to make a good crust for the pie maker. That way I can argue that the pie maker saves us from frankeningredients....

Ha ha - yep, you're right about the frankeningredients.

A few questions....

What other pies would work without top crusts? I saw your apple butter ones (yummmmm). I don't think meat pies would work that way....but what do you think?

Why not use regular dough for the top? Wouldn't it be less caloric - or at least have less fat - than the puff pastry?

Have you tried starting with a cold pie maker? It preheats very quickly, and it would be so much easier to put everything together before turning it on, then just add a minute or two to the time.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Have not started with a cold pie maker. I think it would not cook evenly. But you could try.

If you freeze the discs, definately thaw in fridge first.

Mini pies we've made with no top crusts: scrambled egg and bacon, pumpkin, apple butter. We are also looking forward to pecan, frangipani, fresh fig, dulce de leche, chocolate cheesecake, quiches, gruyere & onion, pizza pies, shepherds pies, and hmm what else...

Making bottom crust: when placing in pie make, place round over opening of cup. Press down briefly with the pusher and then immediately fill, crimp and sal.

H

It was a pretty funny experience, but nothing can possibly be as funny as Scoop's posts about Costco and Fried Alien Esophagi - I'm laughing and crying just thinking about them!!!

Yup, I just double-checked the package. Defrost out on the counter for 20 minutes or microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.

Aha - it WAS the heat shrinking the dough. Can you help me with a bit of online training for bottom crust placement, other than COLD?

What a fabulous idea! But when I'm read to use the circles, wouldn't I need to let (at least) the bottom ones thaw a bit so they don't crack when pushed down? I'm also going to try pre-molding my bottom crusts, layering them with waxed paper prior to freezing.

Yes, I will - or I'll do the frozen circles and possibly frozen shaped bottoms method!

Ha ha - yep, you're right about the frankeningredients.

A few questions....

What other pies would work without top crusts? I saw your apple butter ones (yummmmm). I don't think meat pies would work that way....but what do you think?

Why not use regular dough for the top? Wouldn't it be less caloric - or at least have less fat - than the puff pastry?

Have you tried starting with a cold pie maker? It preheats very quickly, and it would be so much easier to put everything together before turning it on, then just add a minute or two to the time.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ, your experiences sound like something that could have been a Pat McManus story. :hysterical:

Definitely funnier than my experiences with the 6 tries at divinity this year.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ - interesting...and hilarious. My brother made one with the Bella and had too much top crust, AND too much filling....he did not listen when I said 1/3 to 1/2 full. What a mess!!

I made brownies, and they need to be watched. Furst batch was overdone a bit, the second one OK.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
PJ - interesting...and hilarious. My brother made one with the Bella and had too much top crust, AND too much filling....he did not listen when I said 1/3 to 1/2 full. What a mess!!

I made brownies, and they need to be watched. Furst batch was overdone a bit, the second one OK.

I filled the cups maybe 2/3 full, nearly to the top, and it was fine - pumpkin filling didn't rise much if at all.

How long did you cook the brownies? How full? Pie maker, or cupcake maker? Is there an advantage to using this for individual brownies - I use mini-muffin pans and get dozens all at once, instead of four pie-shaped ones. ??

luvsvacation22

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Grand Californian-VGC
Animal Kingdom-AKV
After following this thread I decided to buy myself a Breville Pie Maker for Christmas. It was on-sale for $79.00. I haven't had much time to play around with it but I have made two different kinds of pies. Carmel apple pies and chicken pot pies. I used the puff pastry for the top and store bought dough for the bottom crust. We really enjoyed them. Thanks Heathpack for the thread!

Pjrose, it was so funny reading about your experience with making your pies. I had a similar experience when making the apple pie. I wish I would have read your post first...:doh: I think it is important to follow your tips.

Here is a pic of my apple pies. Not the best looking pies, but they tasted great!

1d3b7efa.jpg

I am looking forward to trying the egg sausage pie recipe!

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
pj, i went for about 20 minutes for the brownies. As I was combing the net for timing, I found the info.

No great advantage, and I actually prefer the minis, but we were experimenting and I guess the advantage would be in the summer when the kitchen is already hot.

sstug

TUG Member
Reaction score
I made some turkey pot pies with leftover Christmas turkey and gravy - simple and yummy.

Talking about forming the bottom crust, I put my pastry circles in the cold pie maker and used the pusher to create the shape. Then I took them out and preheated the pie maker. This made assembly a lot quicker since I just had to drop in the preformed bottom crust, fill, cover, and crimp. Since the pastry was cool from the fridge it didn't stick and held it's shape for the few minutes it took to heat the machine (I sprayed it with Pam after it heated and before putting the bottom crust back in).

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Sorry but I think those pies look very tasty!

H

After following this thread I decided to buy myself a Breville Pie Maker for Christmas. It was on-sale for $79.00. I haven't had much time to play around with it but I have made two different kinds of pies. Carmel apple pies and chicken pot pies. I used the puff pastry for the top and store bought dough for the bottom crust. We really enjoyed them. Thanks Heathpack for the thread!

Pjrose, it was so funny reading about your experience with making your pies. I had a similar experience when making the apple pie. I wish I would have read your post first...:doh: I think it is important to follow your tips.

Here is a pic of my apple pies. Not the best looking pies, but they tasted great!

1d3b7efa.jpg

I am looking forward to trying the egg sausage pie recipe!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
After following this thread I decided to buy myself a Breville Pie Maker for Christmas. . . .

My tips pretty much echo the tips of the previous 100+ posts; I learned more from my mistakes than by simply doing what was suggested :eek:

They look just beautiful to me!

pj, i went for about 20 minutes for the brownies. As I was combing the net for timing, I found the info.

No great advantage, and I actually prefer the minis, but we were experimenting and I guess the advantage would be in the summer when the kitchen is already hot.

So if you make a whole batch of batter, but could make only 4 pie-shaped brownies in 20 minutes? How many brownie pies can a batch of brownie batter bake? (sounds like how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood :D )

I made some turkey pot pies with leftover Christmas turkey and gravy - simple and yummy.

Talking about forming the bottom crust, I put my pastry circles in the cold pie maker and used the pusher to create the shape. Then I took them out and preheated the pie maker. This made assembly a lot quicker since I just had to drop in the preformed bottom crust, fill, cover, and crimp. Since the pastry was cool from the fridge it didn't stick and held it's shape for the few minutes it took to heat the machine (I sprayed it with Pam after it heated and before putting the bottom crust back in).

This sounds like a great method - brilliant! :banana: :banana: :banana:
I'm not so sure about the Pam - I've heard that it leaves a sticky residue on non-stick pans, but ???

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
pj, I used a brownie mix that cost a dollar at Dollar Tree, not a full sized mix, but one that fits in an 8x8 pan. It made two batches, so 8 brownie "pies" in total.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Fresh Strawberry Mini Pies

5ddc432b.jpg

Ok, so this is not cooked in the Breville. Yesterday we went to meet a friend for dinner, we were early and popped into a nearby shop. On clearance was a set of 4 ceramic mini pie dishes- $7 for all four. Obviously, I bought them.

Coincidentally, yesterday was the first day of good local strawberries at the FM. Hence the strawberry pies.

I scaled the recipe down from a full sized pie recipe and the filling (under the whole berries) was a little skimpy. So here is a version of the recipe with a better scaling.

3 pints strawberries
9 graham crackers
2 T melted butter
6-8 T sugar depending on berries sweetness
3 T corn starch
1/8 tsp salt
1 T lemon juice
Strawberry or red current jelly, melted

Preheat oven to 325

Break graham crackers into large pieces and whirl in food processor until you have a fine crumb. Add melted butter and pulse to mix. Press into 4 mini pie tins, bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned & fragrant. Set aside to cool completely.

Wash and dry strawberries. Find a small plate the approximate size of your pie tins. Arrange small berries in a ring on the plate, set a larger berry in the middle and add another 2 berries to the plate for good measure. Repeat 3 times, hull these berries and set aside.

Hull remaining berries and purée in food processor. Strain pulp thru a fine meshed sieve, pressing pulp to extract as much juice as possible. You want 1.25 to 2 cups juice. Place in a saucepan.

Whisk together cornstarch, sugar and salt and whisk mixture slowly into strawberry juice. Bring to a boil over medium- high heat, reduce heat to medium and cook stirring constantly until thick like a pudding.

Set aside to cool briefly. Heat jelly in a small saucepan until melted. Add lemon juice to cooled purée and divide evenly amongst pie dishes. Add whole hulled strawberries in an attractive pattern onto the purée. Brush with melted jelly to glaze berries' surface.

Cool in fridge several hours. Serve with whipped cream.

Enjoy!

H

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Coincidentally, yesterday was the first day of good local strawberries at the FM. Hence the strawberry pies.
Looks delicious!:)

Mom2MNEm

TUG Member
Reaction score
its on sale!

If anyone is interested in the Breville Pie Maker---I just read my emails and saw that Williams Sonoma is having a 3 day sale and it is selling for $49.95. Just in case someone wanted one but didn't want to pay the $150 for it!

Lisa V

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
And for anyone wanting to try a pie maker for those drive-to vacations, but not wanting to spend quite that much, Kohl's has the Bella version on sale for $20. If you order online you can get 10% off in the cart, plus 20% off with code BLOOM20 (until tomorrow), and free shipping using code SHIPFREE. That's only $14 out the door! This is the one I have, and at this price, I'm tempted to buy another as a gift (I don't know for whom, but just to have on hand just in case).

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
And for anyone wanting to try a pie maker for those drive-to vacations, but not wanting to spend quite that much, Kohl's has the Bella version on sale for $20. If you order online you can get 10% off in the cart, plus 20% off with code BLOOM20 (until tomorrow), and free shipping using code SHIPFREE. That's only $14 out the door! This is the one I have, and at this price, I'm tempted to buy another as a gift (I don't know for whom, but just to have on hand just in case).

This is the one I have. It worked ok, but I did have quite the comedy of errors trying to use it correctly. Note, I don't think the fault was with the pie maker - it was definitely with the operator :rolleyes:

That's a great price; thanks for the codes! I have a 30% that starts next week, but who knows if it'll be $20 at that point and the 10% and free shipping likely won't work then.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes I know this is an old thread. However I was inspired by this thread when I was at a Kolh's sale, and saw the Bella pie maker for $14.99 and I had the free $10 off card that comes in the mail. So $4.99 so it was worth a try. Glad I came back and read the thread before I started my experiments.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Yes I know this is an old thread. However I was inspired by this thread when I was at a Kolh's sale, and saw the Bella pie maker for $14.99 and I had the free $10 off card that comes in the mail. So $4.99 so it was worth a try. Glad I came back and read the thread before I started my experiments.

Funny you should post, we just made apple butter mini pies. Those are our favorite fruit pies so far. Perfect with a mini scoop of vanilla ice cream.

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Sweet Potato Pie

7295635E-C09C-4DFA-81F6-BF69A58E8DE2-541-00000196EF77121F.jpg

ADCF098B-0475-4B34-A355-F53ECFC2A38E-541-00000196EB65F5C6.jpg

Last week I baked an extra sweet potato to put into the vegetable mix I take for my lunch. But I guess I forgot to cut it up because I found it under a head of lettuce today. I hate for good food to go to waste, so I made Sweet Potato mini pies. Which makes a nice afternoon snack with a mug of tea, it turns out.

Mash 1 cooked sweet potato (hot or rewarmed) with a pat of butter and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, dash salt, 2 tsp bourbon (I had none so used scotch), 1 tsp molasses, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 2T cream. Whisk into sweet potato.

Press the crusts into the mini pie maker and sprinkle a few crumbles of brown sugar in the bottom of each crust, then add filling.

Bake 8 minutes. Makes 4 pies, about 250 calories each.

Last week I made Macadamia Nut mini pies. There was a technical problem with the crusts, so they came out like crumble pies (and I burned my arm rescuing the pies). So no pics but they were the BEST of the pies yet, hands down. Also the most caloric. Will make again soon and post recipe when I get good pics.

The Sweet Potato minis were no slouches though, very tasty!

H

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Last week I made Macadamia Nut mini pies.

The Sweet Potato minis were no slouches though, very tasty!

H

You're making me want to dust off my piemaker and play some more. These two pie types look and sound amazing!

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Banana Cream mini pies

1E09FC35-3039-4D31-86A1-B6D97B592F4E-10796-0000298FC093D9E8.jpg

Around 5pm today, Mr. H tells me he's jonesing for some banana cream pie. Luckily we have all the ingredients on hand to make a few mini pies.

Banana Cream Mini Pies
Prebake one pie crust in 4 mini pie pans and let cool.

Make filling by whisking together in a small saucepan the following: 2 T cornstarch, 5 T sugar and 1/16 tsp salt. Then whisk in 3 egg yolks and then 1 cup 2% milk and 1/4 cup evaporated milk. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally at first and then constantly. It should take about 5 minutes to reach a boil; once it does, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 T butter, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp brandy. Pour into a shallow dish, cover with plastic wrap pressed onto surface of filling and let cool until warm but not totally to room temp, about 20-30 minutes.

Once filling has cooled to warm, spoon a layer into each of the cooked crusts, then split one sliced banana between the shells and then spoon the remaining filling over the bananas. Cover with plastic wrap (again pressed onto surface of filling) and refrigerate until filling is completely set, about 2 hours.

Whip some cream with vanilla and sugar. Top the pies with the whipped cream.

660 calories per mini-pie. It's best to split one of these with someone you love:)

H

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just knew if I clicked in this thread I'd see something yummy. When will I ever learn? :rolleyes:

I have all the ingredients too; maybe this'll be a Hurricane Sandy activity while we still have power.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
What's that saying? "Brute for punishment" or something to that effect?

ARGGGHHHH, be still my quivering thighs!