• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breville Mini Pie Maker: Love It!

sstug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Perhaps the tortillas could be cut and used as a crust, just like the toast, but I suspect it too would burn a bit, because just like the bread it is already baked.

I tried this once and they just ripped - I couldn't get them to take the shape of the pie form. I'm sure with a little effort I could have made it work but I gave up and just used pastry.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on my way to buy one...BB&B has a Nostalgia Electrics for 29.99, less the 5 dollars off coupon. Has anyone tried this one?? Or should I go next door to target and look for the Sunbeam??

Back from Target and BB&B...
Target had the Sunbeam one, 29.99, bright red. BB&B had what looks the same, with a brand name of Baby Cakes, in purple. I took that one, because I know they have a GREAT return policy.

The off to the supermarket to buy pie crust and puff pastry. There is a bakery supply place where I could buy the puff, but my freezer is not big enough to hold the huge sheets you have to buy.

Last edited:

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
News Flash!! Looking for pie recipes, I found out that the BabyCakes cupcake maker makes pies as well...8 of them, instead of 4. Maybe I'll take it back to BB&B and get the cupcake maker and have a 2-in-1 deal!!

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
News Flash!! Looking for pie recipes, I found out that the BabyCakes cupcake maker makes pies as well...8 of them, instead of 4. Maybe I'll take it back to BB&B and get the cupcake maker and have a 2-in-1 deal!!

But aren't the cupcakes deeper than pies, and not fluted around the edges? What about the whoopie pie maker? Yikes, so many versions!

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I watched a YouTube demo of the cupcake maker and it looks like it has the two shapes for top and bottom crust, AND the crimper.

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....sure does look like it does it all! I'm getting tempted.....

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the bigger size of the Pie Maker. I made muffins (or something between a muffin and a muffin top) in it. Sure, you can make mini pies with the Cupcake maker, but they really are small. Might be good for bite-size appetizers, but if I'm preparing a meal (like pot pies), or even a dessert, I prefer the bigger size, with a larger percentage of filling.

Reaction score
different crusts

I used Grands biscuits and rolled then thin to make chicken pie. I'm not sure how that affects calorie counts.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made my first pies, with the full sized maker. BB&B does not have the cupcake maker.
I used a refrigerated crust top and bottom. Canned peach filling in the middle. The back pies had a darkened crust and the front two barely cooked in the middle.

Has anyone tried to make small cakes?? [since I could not get the cupcake maker, I might try to do it in reverse!!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just made my first pies, with the full sized maker. BB&B does not have the cupcake maker.
I used a refrigerated crust top and bottom. Canned peach filling in the middle. The back pies had a darkened crust and the front two barely cooked in the middle.

Has anyone tried to make small cakes?? [since I could not get the cupcake maker, I might try to do it in reverse!!

This was with the Babycakes one?

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Babycakes pie maker. At BB&B I was told they can't get the Cupcake Maker...who knows.
Seems like it should be doable to make small cakes in those wells.

dmbrand

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
I decided to check out this thread, since it has so many posts. I have the Babycakes Cupcake Maker. Most often, I use it to make brownie bites. I even modified my scratch recipe so as to use it in this machine. I have tried a mini quiche as well, but not a mini pie. The manual has three recipes for pie tartlets.

I think the key to these types of machines is to not overfill; they tend to bake the outside much faster than the inside.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
news flash!!

There is an Emeril Mini pie and cake maker, which looks just like the pie maker...now all I have to do is figure out how much batter and how long to bake...as I assume the cake will rise!!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
And now WalMart has a $15 version....can't remember the name, but they had donut, donut holes, cookie, mini cupcakes.....I didn't see pie or any evidence that the others made pies.

I think I'll wait for more comments before deciding what to get. The photos from the Breville didn't show any burned or undercooked pies.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score

Were all the pies filled evenly? I could see that making a big difference. Also, when you pressed the crusts in, and then filled them, did you start at the back? Maybe try starting from the front next time, and see if that makes a difference - wherever you start first, that pie will be cooked a bit more than the last. I try to remove them in the same order I fill them, for that reason.

ScoopKona

Reaction score
Monkey King Coffee - Captain Cook, Hawaii
I think I'll wait for more comments before deciding what to get.

An oven and pie tins.

Best technology for the job. These pie gizmos are to baking what the George Foreman grill is to barbecue.

EDIT -- Don't get me wrong. I'm all for ANYTHING that helps America reach for something that isn't fast food or a Hot Pocket. But seriously, what's wrong with an oven and pie tins? They don't take up counter space. They're more versatile. Nobody is limited to "mini pies" that way. And I have my doubts about getting a truly excellent crust out of a machine that essentially "dry fries" it.

Last edited:

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
news flash!!

There is an Emeril Mini pie and cake maker, which looks just like the pie maker...now all I have to do is figure out how much batter and how long to bake...as I assume the cake will rise!!

I have the Emeril one. I have only made pies in it but I cook them longer than it says and the homemade crust turns out fine. They get perfectly brown, although we do cook the apple pie filling a little first. I plan to try the cakes this weekend when I am off. I will report back after trying it.

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
An oven and pie tins.

Best technology for the job. These pie gizmos are to baking what the George Foreman grill is to barbecue.

EDIT -- Don't get me wrong. I'm all for ANYTHING that helps America reach for something that isn't fast food or a Hot Pocket. But seriously, what's wrong with an oven and pie tins? They don't take up counter space. They're more versatile. Nobody is limited to "mini pies" that way. And I have my doubts about getting a truly excellent crust out of a machine that essentially "dry fries" it.

The advantages to the mini pies are: I'm not tempted to eat too large of a size and with two people, it takes too long to eat a whole pie.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mel - I did not turn it on until all the pies were ready to go.

Possibly there was less depth in the ones which did not brown or even cook completely. I just wondered if it was the machine, bu it was my first try.

Mel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Karen - the instructions for mine say to plug it in and reheat before placing the crusts and filling them (so yes, you have to work quickly, have everything ready). If you started all cold, it may be an issue of how much filling, or how deep the pies were. I made peach and apple pies a couple of weeks ago, with cans of pie filling, and my last batch did not have quite as much filling as the others - the tops did not puff to the top of the machine, so it didn't brown like the others. Another possibility - did you close the lid completely and lock it, and did you open it part way through to check on the pies (that might have let heat from the front ones escape)? I did that with mini quiches the other day, and noticed they didn't cook quite the same.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
My instructions say to put the pies together first and then plug it in.

Maybe there was not as much filling in the back two.

I just spoke to Babycakes and she said to treat everything as a science experiment...and to try cakes, brownies, etc. I would think that cake would rise so the holes cannot be too full, and she said to open the maker to check and then use a toothpick to test.

KarenLK

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just watched the Emeril machine being demoed on HSN on YouTube. It does not have the tamper, but rather it has slits for the bottom crust.

Cakes and muffins should be filled 1/3 to 1/2, for 5? minutes, brownies need 20 minutes.

Off to the science lab.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Hi Karen,

In the Breville one must preheat for 2 bake cycles before use, otherwise may get unevenly cooked pies. Also pie filling must be fully cooked and warmed for meat pies and some types of fruit pies like apple.

I have also noticed that overworked puff pastry does not rise properly and does not brown evenly.

On the original site on which I read the pie maker reviews, it was alleged that the Breville cooked faster and more evenly than other pie makers, not sure if that was susceptibility to marketing nonsense or truth. However that could be a factor as well- it may be a manufacturing quality thing and not be something you can solve.

H