• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Breville Mini Pie Maker: Love It!

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
My mother got me the Breville mini pie maker for my birthday a few months ago. LOVE this thing, it makes one mean mini pie. I have a recipe for a chicken pot pie filling that is freezable, it was nice to whip out the filling, reheat it and cook up some pies in 20 minutes flat.

Photo of the tasty beauties:
3bf641e0.jpg

Have also made breakfast pies, fruit pies. The thing works like a charm, bough it at Williams Sonoma, something like $100 I believe.

H

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
It looks like a 4 pie electric pie maker version of the pie maker we used to use camping.
Butter one side of two slices of bread, place the butter sides against the plates, put the filling in the middle of one piece, clamp it together, and hold it over the campfire for a minute or two on each side.
One of the other BSA troop leaders even made a S'mores pie on one trip. The graham cracker was part of the filling, BTW.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Recipe

Filling Ingredients:
6 medium carrots , peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 small celery ribs, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 medium onion , chopped fine
2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
Salt
1/4 cup dry sherry
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 5 medium breasts), trimmed of excess fat
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup half-and-half
1 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
Ground black pepper

Crusts:
One package Pillsbury rolled refrigerated pie crusts (use for bottom crusts)
One package Pepperidge Farms frozen puff pastry, thawed (use for top crusts)

Make the filling:
1. *Combine the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, oil, and ½ teaspoon salt in a large Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the sherry, broth, and bay leaves, and bring to a simmer. Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the thickest part registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; set aside to cool.

2. Return the sauce to a simmer. Whisk the cornstarch and half-and-half together, then whisk into the simmering sauce. Continue to simmer the sauce until thickened, about 1 minute. Off the heat, discard the bay leaves, stir in the peas and parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

3. *Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into bite-sized pieces. Stir the shredded chicken into the sauce.

Make the pies:
Preheat the pie maker.
Cut bottom and top crusts.
Place bottom crusts into hot pie maker. *Add 1/3 cup hot filling into each crust and then add top crusts. *Close pie maker and cook 10 minutes.

Makes 12 pies. *Excess filling may be frozen. *This is good with a few steamed diced white potatoes. *If not making mini pies, place filling into a 9x13 inch casserole, top with a cornmeal biscuit crust and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
How mini is mini...the ones in the picture look normal size. Made me hungry.

Brian

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Half eaten mini pie

b632c955.jpg

laura1957

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recipe sounds great, and they look wonderful!! 100 is a little steep for me - I make mini pies in my large muffin tin, also works for mini stuffed pizza:)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Can the finished pies themselves be frozen for reheating later? I'm thinking this would be a great lunch thing for nuking in the microwave at work.

Dave

LLW

TUG Member
Reaction score
My mother got me the Breville mini pie maker for my birthday a few months ago. LOVE this thing, it makes one mean mini pie. I have a recipe for a chicken pot pie filling that is freezable, it was nice to whip out the filling, reheat it and cook up some pies in 20 minutes flat.

Photo of the tasty beauties:
3bf641e0.jpg

Have also made breakfast pies, fruit pies. The thing works like a charm, bough it at Williams Sonoma, something like $100 I believe.

H

Target has a Sumbeam Mini Pie-Maker for $29.99. This picture made me buy one today. ;)

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Target has a Sumbeam Mini Pie-Maker for $29.99. This picture made me buy one today. ;)

LOL! I saw the ad in Macy's today too for $30 and immediately thought of this thread! Katherine

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Made peach pies today, two versions:
1. Traditional peach pie flavored with a little lemon juice, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg
2. Peach-Almond pie flavored with almond extract and crumbled almond paste.

Tasty. Tasty. Tasty.

I am not sure, Dave, about freezing the pies. However, since the pie maker makes 4 pies but we generally only eat one apiece for dinner, we commonly have 2 leftover for the next night. Those do reheat perfectly in the pie maker the next day. I would imagine they could be frozen, but I am not sure about microwaving them, would they get soggy?

H

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I am not sure, Dave, about freezing the pies. However, since the pie maker makes 4 pies but we generally only eat one apiece for dinner, we commonly have 2 leftover for the next night. Those do reheat perfectly in the pie maker the next day. I would imagine they could be frozen, but I am not sure about microwaving them, would they get soggy?

H

I guess the best way to find out would be to try it. I'm going to get one of these pie makers later this Fall. Hoping to see holiday sales of them. These look to be just too cool to not have one in my cooking-deprived kitchen. (Have I mentioned how bad of a cook I am? :)) I figure if the finished pies would freeze, it might be good for work lunches. I'll do more research before buying one. I have a vacuum sealer thing I bought recently, and it seems like this would be a great test of the whole concept.

Dave

bjones9942

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lindo Mar, Puerto Vallarta; Lake Tahoe Beach & Ski, South Lake Tahoe
OMG! Those look great! You've made me hungry! When the worlds fair was in Seattle, there was a 'Spaceburger' place in the food circus. Basically took a bun, placed ground meat with ketchup & mustard in the middle and then steamed it closed around the edges. They looked very similar to those pies, and your pic made me realize how much I want a spaceburger again!!!!

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
When I was researching this purchase (I know I said my mother got it for me, but really my mother sent me a check and told me to go out and find something for myself), I found a cooking BBS where this product was discussed quite a bit. Apparently the Breville is *the* pie maker to get, the Cadillac of pie makers. It seemed if you are either British or Australian, this is a common gadget to own/want, and there were many comments as to how much better it cooks and browns the crust compared with other pie makers.

Now y'all should know that I am a sucker for a gadget, and I will always spend more on something if it is known or alleged to work better (or just not get the gadget if the "good" version costs too much). Mr. H is in the process of building me a pantry to house some of these many tools. I do cook a lot and he reaps those benefits, so it all works out in the end.

I would love to hear back from Sunbeam owners to learn how well it works. I will kick myself if it turns out the $30 pie maker is every bit as good as the $100 pie maker!

H

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
BTW, Dave, one lady on the cooking site specifically commented that she made pies in the AM, wrapped them in cloth napkins to hold in the heat and her husband reported at lunch time that they were still warm and delicious.

So you could pretty easily make the filling and cut the crusts at night and make up the pies in the morning, it only takes 10 minutes to bake these.

I have also considered taking this baby into work and making pies there for the next special occasion.

H

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
BTW, Dave, one lady on the cooking site specifically commented that she made pies in the AM, wrapped them in cloth napkins to hold in the heat and her husband reported at lunch time that they were still warm and delicious.

So you could pretty easily make the filling and cut the crusts at night and make up the pies in the morning, it only takes 10 minutes to bake these.

I have also considered taking this baby into work and making pies there for the next special occasion.

H

Great ideas! I can see the whole idea needs to be explored. Thanks for sharing this idea!

Dave

Debbyd57

TUG Member
Reaction score
Emeril had one on HSN last time he was on that seemed to work well for $49.99. I told DH that is what I wanted for my birthday. Has anyone tried Emeril's? Sometimes looks on HSN can be deceiving.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
the sunbeam mini pie maker is on sale at target for $24.00 this week. I bought one today.

Kay H

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd probably try them in my muffin tins but the Breville looks like the cups come out for easy cleaning, but no way would I pay $100 for a pie maker.

persia

Reaction score
Being part Australian I have a weakness for meat pies. Beef, Chicken, lamb pies are all good. My favourite is steak and guinness pie though.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
Beef Short Rib pie, first bite, mmm

868a9e51.jpg