• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought our first timeshare

JAbbott

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawai Beach Resort, Wyndham Kona Hawaiian
After many years of thinking about it, research, etc we found a deal that we think will work for us, at a price we are very happy with. Found an Ebay deal for the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Biennial, even years. This one, apparently has 2018 already paid for and not used so we could be getting a free week with it.
Purchase is a weeks deed, not points. We are good with that. We have not been to that resort, but we love going to Hawaii, and the reviews here on TUG and elsewhere helped us decide that this will work. Being 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom means that we can bring friends or family.. I know our daughters are willing to share (we are putting their names on the deeds). We figure that going to the Big Island every other year will not be to much of a hardship, as retirement looms on the horizon.
Now we continue to watch for a deal on 2 bedroom at the Lawai Beach resort. We may try and pick up another week at Kona too. Small steps. I wouldn't mind getting into the points system somewhere along the way for other travel. We know we love being on Hawaii, so we plan to use these resorts, not trade. I guess the option to trade via RCI (weeks) is there if we choose to use it.
Would love to hear peoples experiences, especially other owners at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian. Any tips that you care to pass on?
Thanks
James

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Congratulations, that’s a nice resort in a great location. I know they have some units up high on the property that get some ocean views. Lawai Beach resort is another great resort. I almost took a week there years ago myself.

Kapolei

Reaction score
HTSE specializes in Lawai Beach resort. There seems to be rentals available all the time. Weigh your options as to whether you want to own there. Take a look at their inventory. You might want to get a low fee timeshare and just trade in through HTSE. Generic login is HTSE, HTSE

Wyndham Kona comes up on Craigslist. You wouldn’t necessarily need to own another week to stay there more.

There is a lot to learn. Take it slow as you have been doing. Good luck.

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
what a great story!

its incredible to be so patient to wait for the perfect timeshare on the resale market and then be so extremely happy with the purchase process!

it is quite literally our dream that every timeshare purchase were like this!

Rjbeach2003

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have Shell. All points. Bought 2500 from developer and friends gave us another 3500. Three Shell on Big Island, 3 we can book on Kauai, and Studio on Waikiki. Kona Coast Resort and Holua Loa are south of Wyndham Kona, near Keauhou. Shell is owned by Wyndham but bookings for you have to be through II or RCI.

I have toyed with the idea of adding more points, not buying into another program. We use Shell in Whistler, Vegas, Phoenix, SF, Mt. Hood, and can use in San Diego, San Antonio, Anaheim and a number of others in the east. Finally decided that with 6000 points we can get 1.5 to 2 weeks in Hawaii, and with creative use even more. Also we sometimes pay, within Shell, for discounted points.

I have fun playing around with it, and am now exchanging through II for the second time. We're pretty much retired so have flexibility. So figuring in the maintenance fee cost of the points and exchange fee we have a week in late November-early December on Maui for less than $600.

gjs9803

TUG Member
Reaction score
We vacationed at Wyndham Kona in February 2018 and absoutely loved it. Very spacious units and very tranquil. 1/2 mile walk to all the fun in downtown Kona. The employees are very nice and welcoming.

skimeup

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Inn at the Opera, Grand;view for RCI points - 196000 , Hyatt Carmel, Hyatt Sedona
You pay $600 maintenance for 6000 Shell points?

I have fun playing around with it, and am now exchanging through II for the second time. We're pretty much retired so have flexibility. So figuring in the maintenance fee cost of the points and exchange fee we have a week in late November-early December on Maui for less than $600.[/QUOTE]

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Now you're making me want to stay there too! (Kona)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
If you read TUG Marketplace exchange section. Lots of us want to exchange our resorts for Hawaii. Don’t join RCI before you try doing a TUG exchange. No money involved just swap places!
Silentg

Dakine

Reaction score
After many years of thinking about it, research, etc we found a deal that we think will work for us, at a price we are very happy with. Found an Ebay deal for the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian Resort, Biennial, even years. This one, apparently has 2018 already paid for and not used so we could be getting a free week with it.
Purchase is a weeks deed, not points. We are good with that. We have not been to that resort, but we love going to Hawaii, and the reviews here on TUG and elsewhere helped us decide that this will work. Being 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom means that we can bring friends or family.. I know our daughters are willing to share (we are putting their names on the deeds). We figure that going to the Big Island every other year will not be to much of a hardship, as retirement looms on the horizon.
Now we continue to watch for a deal on 2 bedroom at the Lawai Beach resort. We may try and pick up another week at Kona too. Small steps. I wouldn't mind getting into the points system somewhere along the way for other travel. We know we love being on Hawaii, so we plan to use these resorts, not trade. I guess the option to trade via RCI (weeks) is there if we choose to use it.
Would love to hear peoples experiences, especially other owners at the Wyndham Kona Hawaiian. Any tips that you care to pass on?
Thanks
James
I use to live in Kona and watched them build this in I think 1997. It is a quiet place but not much ocean view. Since the volcano in puna is getting stronger the kona side is getting almost unhealthy to breath the air. My recommendation is wait for the eruption to lighten up a bit before going.
kona2018.jpg
This was taken yesterday 5/30/2018 looking toward the ocean which can't be seen now thanks to the vog.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations! We've stayed at Kona Hawaiian Resort, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's across the road from the ocean, and built going up a hill, so is not known for ocean views. The units are quite large, huge Master bedroom with ensuite bath, large second bedroom, and bath in the hallway. Washer/dryer in the unit, very large living room, very large lanai with dining table, ceiling fans, great privacy. Quite compact kitchen, but it has all the right appliances. I'm on vacation in Hawaii as I type this, and we were going to stay at KHR again this trip, but the volcano eruption forced us to change plans. We'd be happy to go back to KHR once the volcano settles down.

Dave

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
WQe have stayed about a dozen times at this resort. There are really no ocean views but there are ocean peaks from a few rooms.It is our favorite Big Island Resort and we have stayed at 6 or 7. It has had its ups and downs but last stay over a year ago was very accommodating. We always ask for the upper rooms which have beside better views a large deck outside we use lots. The people running the activities at this place have been there for many years and are terrific. The plants surrounding are all Hawaiian style. Just writing this finds me wanting to return.

Thanks
James

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
HTSE specializes in Lawai Beach resort. There seems to be rentals available all the time. Weigh your options as to whether you want to own there. Take a look at their inventory. You might want to get a low fee timeshare and just trade in through HTSE. Generic login is HTSE, HTSE

Wyndham Kona comes up on Craigslist. You wouldn’t necessarily need to own another week to stay there more.

There is a lot to learn. Take it slow as you have been doing. Good luck.[/QUOTE

Am considering buying at LBR but am curious on a lower MF resort and exchanging in. What are your thoughts for which resort to buy in to? Would i be stuck in a crummy unit at LBR as an exchanger? Not interested in the Coral building.

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am considering buying at LBR but am curious on a lower MF resort and exchanging in. What are your thoughts for which resort to buy in to? Would i be stuck in a crummy unit at LBR as an exchanger? Not interested in the Coral building.

jacknsara

KBV Forum Moderator
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pahio Kauai Beach Villas, Pahio Shearwater
Aloha,
As an exchanger, you have no control over which building you get. As a renter from HTSE, the building is specified (at least it was for us).
We were assigned the Banyan building when we exchanged in last week of Dec 2017. Prior exchanges have included the Coral building.
Jack

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Nice going, OP! I'm incredibly impressed. Here are all the things you did right:
  1. You found TUG long before you ever bought a timeshare. (You're already in rarefied air compared to the large majority of the rest of us!)
  2. You came here, read, studied, asked questions, read reviews, asked more questions.
  3. You got a great deal on a nice property in a place you love to travel to.
Now you need to start writing blog columns to teach all the other newbies how to do it. You'd save a lot of people a lot of $$.

Congratulations!

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
I exchanged into Kona three years ago via GPX and I have to say it was great. The unit was spacious and well maintained and I thought the location was ideal. The grounds were lovely and everyone who worked there from groundskeepers and housekeeping to the front desk were friendly and helpful. this resort is definitely on my "go back" list. Luck of the draw, I did get a peek-a-boo ocean view from my lanai. I did drive through the resorts around Waikaloa, and while the resorts look very nice I liked the location of the Wyndham resort better. Excellent choice! I hope you enjoy many vacations there.

i-r8v8vDL-L.jpg