• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought DC points at sales presentation Pulse San Fran.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hi there everyone. Just returned from our summer vacation trip. I was lucky to get an exchange for the new Marriott Pulse in San Fran this past week. On side note, sorry to not responding to the others that wanted the extra nights I did not need. It was taken within minutes of me posting the free nights. I was on vacation and not really bothering with internet.

Got a call to do a 90min presentation for $150 Amex gift card while at the Pulse. Asked wife and she agreed which surprised me. Called the body snatcher back and set up a 930 appointment for Wed July 30. Figure would be like the last presentation 4 years ago and they would let us go after seeing our resale portfolio of non eligble weels.

Went down and was asked to fill out the standard questionnaire to I figure give the salesperson something to sell us. Saleswoman introduced herself 5 min later and said that she would be doing our presentation. Went to her office and she looked over our questionnaire and said how we could do many things with the new DC points system. She told some half truths and out right lies and I had to bite my tongue to not correct her as this would only make the presentation longer. What was funny was she did not have paperwork on what we owned with marriott. She finally asked what we would like to purchase at the cheap price of $14.36 per point (or there abouts). Told her we had no use for points as we owned 42 weeks with marriott. She was shocked and excused herself from the room.

5 minutes later a gentleman came in with a printout that listed all our MVC weeks. He also brought a paper saying that if we bought 5500 DC points he would let us enroll 7 weeks into the points program. I said not interested as I am happy with our weeks ownership and 97% trading via II. He then asked what would get to buy DC points. I replied that I would buy 5000 points if they would enroll my 38 non eligible weeks into the points program. He said he would ask but he didnt think it was possible. Came back 10 minutes later and asked if I bought the Grand Residence units from thier authorized resalers. I said yes and he told me that I could buy 5000 points and pay $5k to enroll one quartershare (13 weeks). The offer he presented is the standard enrollment for grand residence quarter share owners that bought after the cutoff. I said no thanks and thought I would be on my way. I countered that I would do it if he would enroll both quartershares (26 weeks) and 7 of my non eligible weeks. To make a long story short, I was able to enroll two quartershares at grand residence (26 weeks) and two units into the dc points program for a purchase of 5000 dc points. There is no language saying that if I sold the dc points the weeks would be unenrolled in the program. Now I can also enroll my 2 eligible weeks also into the program. This would save me about $6k a year in exchange and lock off fees. I figure it would take 14 years in exchange and lock off fee savings to recoup the $58k purchase if I keep the 5000 dc points. In my calculations, I took into account the 3% interest I would get if I kept the $58k in savings.

Now I ask the knowledgeable tug community for your opinions on this. I am still within my rescission period so would like to know your thoughts. I have only bought resale for our MVC and HGVC units (thanks to finding TUG over a decade ago before buying our first timeshare). Have only bought direct from DVC and am happy with that purchase. The purchase is not a hardship on our finances. Also have been staying at MKO 38+ weeks a year for the past 4/5 years and will continue to do so hopefully. So those exchange fees are a real expense for us.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Sorry for the long winded post.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Wow. I have no idea, but I think we just found the first owner to qualify for whatever new level above Chairman's Club they come up with. Based on the number of accessible points you must now have access to, maybe they'll follow the United Airlines model and you'll be MVC's first '1K' owner.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure. You said at one point you liked your weeks, but then you purchased to enroll. Which is it? I guess later you mention tradeoff being lower exchange fees.

I don't see why they would care if you sold those points. They got the sale. If you sell for $4/pt, now your cost is 38k which is 9 years to get your money back. Assuming you are not very old, seems like a good deal to me.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'm just dying to know how many total enrolled points you have with this...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I asked in another thread if there is a chart showing the different grand residence unit sizes and how many elected points you get for studio, 1br, whatever sizes they have.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Geez, I feel tiny looking at buying a week here and there lol. It seems like this person is doing retirement right! That’s how I’d want to be spending my time. Timesharing for almost the whole year. Stay with family for holiday weeks then back on the travel road. I can only imagine the amount of points. In other news, I called MVC sales today and they were looking for Aruba weeks for me. They told me that only Aruba resales would come enrolled. Is that true? I was under the impression it was am marriott intl weeks, not only Aruba.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hi there everyone. Just returned from our summer vacation trip. I was lucky to get an exchange for the new Marriott Pulse in San Fran this past week. On side note, sorry to not responding to the others that wanted the extra nights I did not need. It was taken within minutes of me posting the free nights. I was on vacation and not really bothering with internet.

Got a call to do a 90min presentation for $150 Amex gift card while at the Pulse. Asked wife and she agreed which surprised me. Called the body snatcher back and set up a 930 appointment for Wed July 30. Figure would be like the last presentation 4 years ago and they would let us go after seeing our resale portfolio of non eligble weels.

Went down and was asked to fill out the standard questionnaire to I figure give the salesperson something to sell us. Saleswoman introduced herself 5 min later and said that she would be doing our presentation. Went to her office and she looked over our questionnaire and said how we could do many things with the new DC points system. She told some half truths and out right lies and I had to bite my tongue to not correct her as this would only make the presentation longer. What was funny was she did not have paperwork on what we owned with marriott. She finally asked what we would like to purchase at the cheap price of $14.36 per point (or there abouts). Told her we had no use for points as we owned 42 weeks with marriott. She was shocked and excused herself from the room.

5 minutes later a gentleman came in with a printout that listed all our MVC weeks. He also brought a paper saying that if we bought 5500 DC points he would let us enroll 7 weeks into the points program. I said not interested as I am happy with our weeks ownership and 97% trading via II. He then asked what would get to buy DC points. I replied that I would buy 5000 points if they would enroll my 38 non eligible weeks into the points program. He said he would ask but he didnt think it was possible. Came back 10 minutes later and asked if I bought the Grand Residence units from thier authorized resalers. I said yes and he told me that I could buy 5000 points and pay $5k to enroll one quartershare (13 weeks). The offer he presented is the standard enrollment for grand residence quarter share owners that bought after the cutoff. I said no thanks and thought I would be on my way. I countered that I would do it if he would enroll both quartershares (26 weeks) and 7 of my non eligible weeks. To make a long story short, I was able to enroll two quartershares at grand residence (26 weeks) and two units into the dc points program for a purchase of 5000 dc points. There is no language saying that if I sold the dc points the weeks would be unenrolled in the program. Now I can also enroll my 2 eligible weeks also into the program. This would save me about $6k a year in exchange and lock off fees. I figure it would take 14 years in exchange and lock off fee savings to recoup the $58k purchase if I keep the 5000 dc points. In my calculations, I took into account the 3% interest I would get if I kept the $58k in savings.

Now I ask the knowledgeable tug community for your opinions on this. I am still within my rescission period so would like to know your thoughts. I have only bought resale for our MVC and HGVC units (thanks to finding TUG over a decade ago before buying our first timeshare). Have only bought direct from DVC and am happy with that purchase. The purchase is not a hardship on our finances. Also have been staying at MKO 38+ weeks a year for the past 4/5 years and will continue to do so hopefully. So those exchange fees are a real expense for us.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Sorry for the long winded post.
I’d push for more unenrolled weeks to be enrolled. How many points in total are your enrolled weeks worth combined?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Geez, I feel tiny looking at buying a week here and there lol. It seems like this person is doing retirement right! That’s how I’d want to be spending my time. Timesharing for almost the whole year. Stay with family for holiday weeks then back on the travel road. I can only imagine the amount of points. In other news, I called MVC sales today and they were looking for Aruba weeks for me. They told me that only Aruba resales would come enrolled. Is that true? I was under the impression it was am marriott intl weeks, not only Aruba.

It is not true. Spain, for example, comes enrolled too.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
It is not true. Spain, for example, comes enrolled too.
The sales rep said only Aruba (I figured since I led with I want Aruba) lol. He said Thailand you cannot buy resale you have to buy there and the way Spain is set up it does not come enrolled when buying through them. Luckily I recorded the conversation over the phone.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales rep said only Aruba (I figured since I led with I want Aruba) lol. He said Thailand you cannot buy resale you have to buy there and the way Spain is set up it does not come enrolled when buying through them. Luckily I recorded the conversation over the phone.

Since I bought a developer Spain week, I know it came enrolled. Usual sales stuff! In fact, you don't even have to go to Spain to buy.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Since I bought a developer Spain week, I know it came enrolled. Usual sales stuff! In fact, you don't even have to go to Spain to buy.
The rep didnt say I had to go to Spain to buy but he did. Say I would have to go to Thailand to buy the TS at that resort. But he did say only a resale week purchased through them at Aruba would come enrolled. No US weeks come enrolled and no Spain or other Caribbean weeks come enrolled

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
If you buy Aruba and a resale week direct from Marriott both weeks can be enrolled. I did that.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Not sure. You said at one point you liked your weeks, but then you purchased to enroll. Which is it? I guess later you mention tradeoff being lower exchange fees.

I don't see why they would care if you sold those points. They got the sale. If you sell for $4/pt, now your cost is 38k which is 9 years to get your money back. Assuming you are not very old, seems like a good deal to me.
I love using weeks. Purchase was mainly to save on the trade and lock off fees. I am in my late 40's so hope to have at least another 20-30 years use of these weeks. My son at the age of 13 is learning how to use these MVC, HGVC and DVC points and the enrolled weeks will pass onto him if he wants it. So this could potentially save the next generation some money.

I think you know what you are doing. If I was in your situation. I would have done the same. However I would have pushed for more weeks.
Thanks, I am pretty sure of my purchase but wanted to get some opinions from the TUG community that have no emotion in purchase. I tried to get more weeks enrolled with this bundle. My basis was knowing that it would have cost me 10000 DC point purchase to enroll both quarter shares.

The MGR 1br quarter share converts to about 31-35k DC points. Quarter share 2br gets about 50-53k DC points. While a 3br gets you 60-72k DC points. This is if you convert all 13 weeks to DC points. The variations in point conversions changes every year as you will get the prime weeks every 4 years.

The willowridge, grand vista and harbour lake weeks that I own are definitely not worth converting to DC points as they get under 3k points per week. Much more valuable to me as traders with II. I did enroll my grand chateau and a grand vista week as they convert to the most points but much more valuable as traders.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
If you buy Aruba and a resale week direct from Marriott both weeks can be enrolled. I did that.
Aruba and a resale week? Do you mean a resale week in another resort along with Aruba?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, I asked in another thread if there is a chart showing the different grand residence unit sizes and how many elected points you get for studio, 1br, whatever sizes they have.
I have the chart for this year. If you want, I can email it to you. It lists the points for the different quarters and from studio to 3 br units. Has charts for the 3 and 5 week interval conversions also.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

I'm not sure if US central sales can sell the Spain weeks; those may have to be bought on site there. US central sales definitely can and do sell Aruba. Not sure if they can do St Kitts. Some of those international weeks may only be sold at the sales offices at those locations. I have no idea about the Asia locations, as those are technically part of the Asia/Pacific Destination Club, so they may only be salable over there.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine bought Spain without leaving the US. Merely communicated with a Spain salesman.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Aruba and a resale week? Do you mean a resale week in another resort along with Aruba?

Yes

Aruba, St. Kitts and Spain weeks are the point purchase component in a hybrid deal, bundled with the best high point/low MF resort week you can find.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I bought a resale week directly from Marriott and an Aruba week directly from Marriott. It was like a hybrid but my Aruba week functioned like a points purchase. Marriott had both weeks enrolled. They allow St. Kitts, Aruba Surf and Spain weeks act as points purchases. There have been a couple of weeks owners here who have enrolled 7+ resale weeks with an Aruba purchase. They had already purchased those weeks resale from a third party. I purchased my resale from Marriott.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
A friend of mine bought Spain without leaving the US. Merely communicated with a Spain salesman.

So that may explain what CPNY was told...Central MVC Sales can sell Aruba weeks, but if you want to buy Spain or Asia, you have to work through those sales offices, either on site or via email/phone. Not sure where St Kitts fits in the mix.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I'm not sure if US central sales can sell the Spain weeks; those may have to be bought on site there. US central sales definitely can and do sell Aruba. Not sure if they can do St Kitts. Some of those international weeks may only be sold at the sales offices at those locations. I have no idea about the Asia locations, as those are technically part of the Asia/Pacific Destination Club, so they may only be salable over there.
That seems to be what was communicated as far as buying in Asia. When I asked about Spain he said even if I bought it wouldn’t come enrolled.
It seems this is what @JIMinNC was saying. Central sales can’t sell Spain and that’s why your friend had to speak to a rep in Spain. But the story of it not coming enrolled doesn’t make sense if your friends week come enrolled. Is that the case or did I assume that?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Spain weeks come enrolled, not doubt about it. If you are interested, send pm.