• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought a gold crown week 41 in Las Vegas and cancelled.

vickyvickie

Reaction score
Hi. I hope someone here will have the time to respond in detail. Me and my husband were pulled into a timeshare presentation and although we agreed between ourselves before going in that we won't buy, we thought it was too good a deal and ended up buying. I did some research afterwards and realized it isn't as good as they portrayed and sent my cancellation within the rescission period. Now, I'm trying to learn the ropes of timeshare. I'm a total newbie and theres too much info. There's weeks, there's points, there's different exchange memberships. There's an annual expense related to being owners. There's a secondary market where owners are selling for $1+ transfer fee.
I'll note the attraction of the sales pitch here. They said, altho I'm buying one week, I'll get a floating week extra. I can let them handle my week and they'll give me a guaranteed rental of $1400 annually. Out of which, I'll pay $400 maintenance fee and still be left with $1000/yr. Now the benefits: even after renting out my week, I'll still have unlimited weeks to exchange per year as long as i pay $230 exchange fee. (I learnt this to be untrue). I'll benefit from capital gain on my resort building and my share in property can only go up.
When i was doing my research as to keep or cancel, there was too much info.i want to know if i can vacation with TS benefits without having bought one? And vacation across Europe/london. We are a family of 6. And if TS makes sense to buy, then which one is good for me in which i can keep yearly expense to minimum and vacation for cheap across the world with family? And possible week exchanges as well as per day hotel stays.
Thank you

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good thing you cancelled ... you believed the 'fluff of the market plan' the timeshare sales person was saying about renting ... 90% of timeshares have almost no rental market to collect even 50% of the MFs ... plus an agent helping you rent, will claim most of the rental dollars as their commission and costs.

Timeshares very, very seldom increase in price ... there is NO CAPITAL GAINS ... and personal loss, is NOT deductible off your income taxes (I do believe ... not a tax expert).

I can't think of ANY timeshare were the MFs for a 2bdr unit yearly is under $200 yearly ... NONE. Even if you found an ownership where you use it 1 year out of 3 years (tri-annual) for a 2/2 unit ... the MFs would be higher than $200 yearly (or $600 per use year).

Unless you can pay more for MFs ... it would still be hard to find a 2/2 unit with MFs under $800 yearly.