• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Borrowing DPs

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Borrow Points

If you need additional Vacation Club Points, you may be able to borrow them from the following Use Year while you are confirming the reservation. If you would like to start confirming your reservation, from the Marriott Vacation Club Resorts above, click Book my Points.

My Questions:
1) Does it make sense to bank all points as soon as possible and borrow against them for reservations?
2) Is there a few to borrow points?
3) If you cancel a reservation with borrowed points, when do they expire?
4) If you cancel a reservation with borrowed points, do they go into a holding account?

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) Does it make sense to bank all points as soon as possible and borrow against them for reservations?
I usually keep a week or 2back until I need it. I never have needed it yet

no

They expire the same as if you had not made a reservation

4) If you cancel a reservation with borrowed points, do they go into a holding account?
Only if you cancel within 60 days of the res.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
My Questions:

I have already banked the rest of my 2019 points, because my wife and I decided we were done with vacationing for the year (what we already have planned). Last week, my wife says, maybe we should look into going to Orlando in November. :shrug: So, I contacted a VOA and she told me that I cannot use any 2019 points that were banked into 2020, for a reservation in 2019. So, if I wanted to do that, I would have to borrow from 2020 if I wanted to make a new 2019 reservation. This obviously means you limit your banking ability for the next year (2021).

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Borrow Points

If you need additional Vacation Club Points, you may be able to borrow them from the following Use Year while you are confirming the reservation. If you would like to start confirming your reservation, from the Marriott Vacation Club Resorts above, click Book my Points.

My Questions:
I'll add that the points would expire just like you hadn't borrowed them if you cancel even if they end up holding account status. The question is whether they can be banked after that. As I read the paperwork the answer is no but I've had a couple of guides tell me recently the rules have changed and you can later bank after being borrowed. YMMV.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I banked all of the 2019 points in Apr as I wanted to make several 1BR and 2BR reservations with different check in dates at MKO because friends could not decide if they would be staying an extra week while we are there next year. In the end we cancelled out all except for a 1BR for the two of us.

In May our friends in Southern California would like to see us, we decided to book a few days at NCV for us and for them for June 2019. I had to borrow from 2020 as a result of banking our 2019 points early.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
I prefer to borrow all points into the current year. Nothing like taking vacations before I have paid the maintenance fees. If I need to cancel a reservation the points go back to the original use year and if cancellation takes place within 60 days it gives much more time to find opportunities to utilize holding account points.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Borrow Points

My Questions:
As noted, you can't borrow from banked points. If you bank 2019 points and want a 2019 ressie, you need to borrow from 2020.
I suspect you meant fee, no fee.
They go back to the use year from which they were borrowed and work just as if you never made the reservation.
Only if cancelled inside of 60 days.