TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Bonvoy point value

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by Gemini Chica, May 17, 2019.

1. Dean

Dean TUG Member

Hotel not timeshare? As I understand the rules, or at least how rewards explained it to me, the Westin could have refused but they didn't. Technically they are not supposed to but can is the way I understand it. For II exchanges to timeshares you should be able to add them yourself if in your name and the name is the same on both and do so online. But that's the only way to do online checkin or use your phone as a room key. Credit may be a different matter. My guess is I'll get credit, not that it mattes in this situation (lifetime, won't hit 50 this year on MY account), but I shouldn't. I suspect I'll get the points and welcome vouchers as well but we'll see. I'll report back in a few months once done.

Gemini Chica likes this.
  2. jmhpsu93

jmhpsu93 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
    Marriott Grande Vista (x2)
    Crown Paradise Club
    Sheraton Vistana Villages (x2)
    I just booked a $160 room for 12,500 points, so that's well ove $.01. Agree with the others, would want at least that penny a point value.

I think the best options are the really low category properties or the super luxury ones, or something in NYC/LA/SF or somewhere crazy pricey.

3. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    So if I am booking a 800€ stay for 50.000 (12.500 x 2 rooms x 2 nights) that’s a good deal? I am travelling with my twin boys 9yrs and hubby. They said we will get an adjoining room and hopefully and upgrade, late check out which is perfect and access to the executive lounge which means breakfast for all of us as well as snacks and other times. So I am going to go with that and cancel the other hotel I had booked which was a quadruple room (in Madrid city probably tiny) wasn’t a Marriott so no extra perks, cash wise cheaper at 300€ but happy to go with the above and get some extras!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luvtoride likes this.
  4. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

Hotel exchange in II. The reservations are made by a third party and they will never show up on marriott.com. There isn't even a marriott reservation number.

I was ok with the hotel exchanges but I will probably never do it again because of this reason.

5. Dean

Dean TUG Member

If it's a Marriott you still may be able to add the # at check in.

6. jmhpsu93

jmhpsu93 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Vacation Club Destination Points
    Marriott Grande Vista (x2)
    Crown Paradise Club
    Sheraton Vistana Villages (x2)
    If you can get over .015 USD per point, that's a good deal for sure. Plus the free breakfast adds some more value, too.

Gemini Chica likes this.
  7. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    Yes in US$ would be about .018

8. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    Marriott's Canyon Villas
    Marriott's St. Kitts Beach Club
    You cannot really say that 50,000 points got you 800€ in value here because you would not otherwise pay 800€ in cash. How much would you really pay in cash for that stay? That would be the value of those points.

vacationtime1 likes this.
  9. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    I’m basing that valuation on the whole thread and what feedback I have been given, before this post I always just dividend by 100, so to me 50.000 was 500€. Which for 4 people in a city I am happy with. I was purely checking if my way of working it out was right or wrong.

10. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

I will certainly try. They said there couldn't be any credit for the stay even if it could be added.

11. Dean

Dean TUG Member

While in reality they are likely the same (credit, perks) theoretically they could add the number and not give you night or points credit or even upgrades or lounge access. Given the info I've seen otherwise I was surprised the Westin added the number up front so easily but had they not, I would not have worried about it. The ability to check in online is really my main goal anyway plus I hope to use the phone as the key. The rest is not important to us for this situation but we'll take it if things work out.

12. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

I will not be able to check in online since the reservations are not on marriott.com. I am confused on my status since I should still be able to have a 4:00pm check-out but that is really up in the air if they do not recognize my rewards level. I will probably force the issue at check-in either way.

13. mjkkb2

mjkkb2 TUG Member

my ballpark is also 1 US cent per point. One important thing that didn't get mentioned in this thread is the continued devaluation of the MR point with annual category changes. I am against banking the points from year to year as they loose value just sitting in the account. I use them as I go even way below my 1c valuation.

14. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

I hate the mobile key btw. It is fine as a backup but it takes way too much time to pull out your phone, unlock, open app, click open door. It is ridiculous.

There is also work to do on multiple rooms. I ran into this in San Diego on a business trip. The system does not allow mobile key on more than one room and it defaulted not to my room but that of a co-worker. They had to jump through hoops to get the mobile key switched to the room I was staying in. First time using it and it will be the last.

Luvtoride likes this.
  15. Luvtoride

Luvtoride TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Cypress Harbor
    Marriott Ocean Pointe
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
    Marriott Grande Ocean
    I know this is off topic but does anyone know if the wrist bands Keys that are in use at most MVC resorts work at Marriott hotels? We recently travelled to Paris and stayed at a Marriott hotel and I forgot to bring the wristbands with us, but was wondering if they could be programmed there to unlock the room door.

16. bazzap

bazzap Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Currently, unfortunately, they don’t even work at our MVC resorts in Europe or Phuket.
    So I would be amazed if they worked in any of the hotels.

17. Gemini Chica

Gemini Chica TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marbella Beach Resort
    I very much doubt it, we have MVC European ones and USA ones as they don’t work crossing over!

18. 4Sunsets

4Sunsets Guest

Unfortunately, Marriott massively devalued points a few times, most recently with the new program. That's what happens when they give away huge amounts of points to entice people into the new programs.

Still, the value of points really depends on how well you stretch them. You will, for example, get more value when you book a 5-night stay with points, as you pay points for 4 nights and get the 5th night free.

Also, I noticed better value using points + cash.

19. Saintsfanfl

Saintsfanfl TUG Member

For room upgrades definitely. The cash vs points for the upgrade is crazy and doesn't really make much sense. For straight points vs points + cash, it depends.

No matter what it all depends on ones needs or wants. The 5th night free only matters if you actually need or want more than 4 nights. Many people don't.

4Sunsets likes this.
  20. 4Sunsets

4Sunsets Guest

For sure. Usually if we are staying 1 night will pay cash because the points are better saved for multiple nights, especially 5-night stays during a vacation. Last year and the year before, we had free stays all around the world doing the 5-night combos.

21. jpa2825

jpa2825 TUG Member

For those managing to the $.01 standard (which I agree is an easy thumbnail starter), are you including the "points lost" in the transaction? For example, in the example quoted above, 5 nights @ $499 would = $2,500 spend X 10 at Ritz for 25,000 MR points + any multiplier for status (e.g., 75% for Titanium would provide another 18,750 points). Use a branded Marriott CC and you get 6x spend, so 15,000 more points "foregone" by using points. As such, I would calculate this as 258,750 points for these 5 nights. You're now below your penny a point threshold.

For me, I start at the penny a point analysis. If it seems like I'm getting a really good deal based on that, I'll use points. If it's just "meh," I usually go with cash.

Luvtoride likes this.
  22. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Depends how you count them. In my case, cost of room was 35,000/night (I don't recall old prices so using current). However, sna combined with those points got me close to $800/nt over water Bure in Fiji. So, that gave me well over 2c/pt value (really 3c as it was a carryover cert but your question likely refers to current program), but used an sna but that's part of the program also. Some might count it, some might not.