TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Bogus listings

Discussion in 'Buying, Selling & Renting Timeshares' started by CPNY, Aug 27, 2019.

1. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Harborside Resort at Atlantis
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    anyone encountered listings from brokers on marketplace or other sites? Every time I find a good unit it seems it’s not available but they will search for me. Getting frustrating

I responded to a listing on the marketplace and was contacted within 20 minutes from a broker who asked what I was looking for (thought was odd since I responded to exactly what I was looking for). He asked for the listing number and I provided it. He came back with “there is no association and perhaps I inquired through another resource”.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. SteelerGal

SteelerGal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WDW, WKV, SDO, HPP, HH, Bay Club
    Teaser ads are the best. :bawl::bawl:

CPNY likes this.
  3. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    It’s like the old saying goes, if it’s too good to be true, it’s a dang lie lol.

I’m guessing an eBay seller with one overall feedback yet has multiple timeshare listings is fake. Not to mention there was no email address found when I emailed the listed email on the posting.

4. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Where are you finding these listings? I had this happen on Redweek but the broker didn't tell me he didn't have the listing, and tried to negotiate on price without consulting the seller. Once we agreed on a price I believe he went out and found a listing. It took several weeks for him to produce a sales contract. Smarmy and dishonest...these are red flags.

I now ask for the MLS listing number before I give an offer to ensure they actually have the listing.

CPNY likes this.
  5. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I have experienced the same with a well know agent recommended many times by tuggers. The week wasn’t available and I was told about a few other things, higher priced. The ad was never taken down and almost a year later is still listed. (The ad was not on tug but a well know site).

CPNY likes this.
  6. bendadin

bendadin TUG Member

I had responded to a listing that was for 1 million Canterbury for $9500. I was told that it was under contract. Weeks later the website was cleaned up and another 1 million Canterbury for $12500 popped up. I inquired again just to be told that it was the same contract as the previous one and that it was still under contract. I'm over these games.

Grammarhero likes this.
  7. WVBaker

WVBaker TUG Member

If they are being recommended by others on this site, perhaps it may help that you share the name and any contact information for the agent.

Bailey#1 and CPNY like this.
  8. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

please report ads like these, just send the ad number and details to tug@tug2.net

9. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    This latest listing was here on the marketplace. I hit email member and 10 min later I get a response to “call me to discuss my inquiry”. So I do, he’s like what are you looking for? I gave him the listing number and he wrote back there was no affiliation. I’m confused how he emailed me right away then.

Moving on to eBay, I want a unit. But the seller isn’t responding, the email is the same as the eBay handle at yahoo which keeps getting bounced back and there is only one feedback. The feedback was from a buyer also with 1 feedback lol. The seller has multiple listings. I asked about a buy now since I wanted it and an hour later a buy now was added for 50 bucks. But still won’t respond. Payment is through a PayPal invoice which is a joke. Wondering if there is any protection with PayPal if it’s a scam.

10. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Thanks, I’ll forward the email exchange

Email sent

11. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Hyatt Windward Pointe
    Harborside at Atlantis
    Westin Ka'anapali
    Westin St. John
    Marriott Canyon Villas
    Marriott St. Kitts
    Marriott Ko Olina
    I "bought it now" for $50, let's see what happens.

KarenP and CPNY like this.
  12. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

I have never bought a timeshare on Ebay before. What if you change your mind? What if the estoppel is not as represented. How easy is it to cancel the purchase? Do they keep the $?

Of course losing $50 isn't much to risk but can you back out easily if the deal is not as expected?

13. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten, Wyndham Bali Hai, Vidanta Estates, Buganvilias Sky Suites
    I’ve bought a few on EBay; best approach IMHO is to ask for estoppel from the seller before bidding. I’ve had a couple where there were differences and one where I had to call the resort for details not listed (RTU end date). Always best to do your homework before bidding.

14. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    According to the listing you got a platinum one bedroom deluxe for 50 bucks. The seller said no points come with that ownership. Something didn’t seem right. If it’s the 67k unit congrats! Huge score

15. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Right. They wanted payment through PayPal. They didn’t have an estoppel and didn’t know the weeks it floated in. They only added the buy now after I asked about it. They claimed to have the maint fee statement and the title yet didn’t have any information on weeks. I either lost out on a huge deal or dodged a scam. Time will tell @echino will keep us posted! Looks like he owns Harborside. He could use a break lol.

I’ve purchased through eBay twice. But never from someone with no feedback and the listed email address kept coming back saying undeliverable, no such address

16. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Hyatt Windward Pointe
    Harborside at Atlantis
    Westin Ka'anapali
    Westin St. John
    Marriott Canyon Villas
    Marriott St. Kitts
    Marriott Ko Olina
    I'll keep you posted. Worst case I lose $50.

17. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Thee seller sent me the documentation I asked for. I will send you a DM.

18. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    The people that recommended this person have been satisfied sellers or buyers. For me I was really neither, just a person that requested information.

If the ad was on Tug and remained on the site after I as told it was not available I would report it to Tug as rules to me are clear.

No actual harms was done to me. It just rubs me the wrong way the ad remains. There is a possibility that the site it is posted on only charges once for as long as a listing remains. If the person removed it they might have to pay if they posted the same a month later. The week I was looking for was a summer flex and that might become available more often.

I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt I might have as to write something negative about someone to me is to damage their reputation. I must be sure the intent was to harm or they just did a bad job.

Bottom line, I have two high demand weeks that I will be selling and this agent will not get the listing so the agent hurt themself with this approach in listings.

19. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    Just finishing ads.

20. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I see several of these in the TUG Marketplace for SVV listings. I think they use them to hook you and then go out and try to find what you want. Not sure it makes sense to me. I now know who these brokers are and just skip over their listings.

CPNY likes this.
  21. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Echino picked up a WKV one bedroom platinum on eBay for 50 bucks with closing. If it’s legit I think that’s the score of the century.

22. echino

echino TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Piñon Pointe
    Hyatt Coconut Plantation
    Hyatt Windward Pointe
    Harborside at Atlantis
    Westin Ka'anapali
    Westin St. John
    Marriott Canyon Villas
    Marriott St. Kitts
    Marriott Ko Olina
    I doubt it's legit, but I am curious. No correspondence from the seller so far.

SteelerGal and CPNY like this.
  23. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    Not shocked! Lol. Unless they have no idea what they hold, who knows.

24. SteelerGal

SteelerGal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WDW, WKV, SDO, HPP, HH, Bay Club
    I’ve picked up WKV Gold Plus for $1 and it was legit. So it’s possible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  25. CPNY

CPNY TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SVV - Key West
    SVV - Bella
    A platinum week? Those usually go for 6K. The shoulder weeks yes. I was going to pick one up for nothing. The seller said points didn’t come with the purchase then sent me information that stated SVV Amelia condominiums on it with a different week and unit number. Was very confusing