• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Birthday phone calls

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
Do you still get and expect a phone call on your birthday?

I had the strangest experience this year...most of my family members just texted me. Even my own mother (although I will see her this weekend). One adult child called me; 2 others texted. One parent and one MIL called me. One sister texted how busy she was with house guests who were leaving and that she would get back to me later (she hasn't). Wasn't sure whether to be upset or to laugh at the absurdity of it all.

I will say that we all communicate frequently by text and keep up with each other that way so maybe this is just the natural extension.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
I believe it is the way of the 21st century, sadly. Think about just how few people write thank you or sympathy cards these days. I still do, and almost always get a remark afterwards about it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If I didn’t get texts or Facebook birthday wishes, I’d never get any at all. Calls are rare, cards are virtually nonexistent. But 50 or 60 people I know, like, and care about from all over the country wishing me Happy Birthday on Facebook is pretty nice.

Dave

geekette

Reaction score
I get calls and sometimes cards. I don't text, most of us do not do FB.

For my 50th, my brother drove 10 hours to arrive in the middle of the night and decorate my yard. I caught him trying to tie a pink flamingo to my door. he didn't realize that I'm a night owl.

Best birthday surprise ever!

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My birthday is on the first of the month. I usually get a few messages on my birthday and many more a few days later when people turn their calendar page over and realize that they missed it. Since I am usually at work, a text is almost better than a call since I don't answer personal calls during the day.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My birthday is dec 23
Usually people are too busy or call the next day to combine with Christmas wishes
That has been the way it is my entire life.

My stepmother’s birthday was Dec. 18. She said as a child, her birthday gifts usually came wrapped in Christmas paper. When she received a gift wrapped in actual birthday wrapping paper, it was a big deal for her. She always felt her birthday gifts were diverted from the Christmas pile. For the entire time I knew her, starting in the mid-1960s when I was 11, until her passing in 2005, I gave her fresh flowers for her birthday every year, in a birthday arrangement. That way she always knew exactly what it meant. :)

Dave

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate talking on the phone , so for me, I'd much rather get some sort of electronic greeting or the best of all -- a physical card in my mailbox.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Just my son- usually towards the end of the day, leaving me always wondering if he forgot, and my brother. Maybe a couple of texts, but most on Facebook.

No more physical cards except from my brother. My aunt usually sends an electronic card.

Years ago I couldn't understand why no one ever said anything on Facebook about my birthday and I was kind of bummed, yet I was always getting notices about their birthdays and of course, wished them happy birthday. Then I realized I did not have my birthday on my profile so no one knew it was my birthday.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't text, most of us do not do FB.

Is "us" your family?

My birthday is dec 23
Usually people are too busy or call the next day to combine with Christmas wishes

I'm with you on this one as my birthday is December 25. Most people seem to take a break from Facebook so most of my Facebook birthday wishes are a day late.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I wouldn't get the messages as I have both text messaging and voice mail blocked on my clam shell...

George

George,

You are a renaissance man! :thumbup:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
My birthday is dec 23

Tell me about it! December 30 here, with Mom & Dad's anniversary 26th and Dad's birthday 27th. I've mentioned before that I moved my birth celebration to my half birthday June 30. But Dad always called me (from 5 miles away) on Dec 30 to see if he could catch me not recalling it was my real birthday ( I got to 5pm one Dec 30, and only because I was standing at the grocery store writing a check did I realize it was my birthday). Also had a now deceased friend whose grandmother was born Dec 30 that would call me, in spite of having also sent a card.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I absolutely hate talking on the phone , so for me, I'd much rather get some sort of electronic greeting or the best of all -- a physical card in my mailbox.

I must have a stack of two dozen birthday cards (I'm not above keeping cards charities send me unsolicited, and try to pick up pretty cards from the $1-2 shelf at the card store), as well as assorted Get Well and Thank You cards. But Cliff insists on spending $20 each year for mostly lame American Greeting cards online. So I leave him to send his virtual friends those. And of course he is always on the look out for fart cards for his brother. When it took him 15 minutes to pay at the car wash yesterday, I knew he was looking at cards. Then he had to hear it from me "$4 for a card!". Shortly followed by "OMG, a car wash is now $20!!!" We were just killing time until the notary at our financial advisor's office was back from lunch so she could notarized our Diamond give-back papers. Car WAS filthy, but Cliff had been doing do-it-yourself washes for $6 since we moved away from this particular car wash 20 years ago. What an eye opener!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texting have taken the place of mailing birthday cards and a simple telephone call wishing a person a Happy Birthday. We however, still prefers mailing birthday cards and calling the birthday person and wishing them a Happy Birthday.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I absolutely hate talking on the phone...

My Son tell me I am the only person he calls. Everything else is via text messaging. I asked him why? He said if he talked on the phone conversations would drift and he would be tied up for extended periods. He says communicating via text avoids that and is more efficient. Actually makes sense...

George

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Texting in the USA today, is one of reason that the young generation cannot write or spell IMHO. LOL

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Texting in the USA today, is one of reason that the young generation cannot write or spell IMHO. LOL

Wut r u tkn abt? :eek:

Dave

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
For my birthday except for a few I would prefer less phone calls. It’s my day at least in my world. Same goes for my wife for me as it becomes overwhelming to listen to. 4 years in a row I’ve had over a hundred people at my birthday party and to me that is what counts. Or a text or Facebook post.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A text is better than nothing I guess.

geekette

Reaction score
Is "us" your family?

Yes. I don't generally tell people when my birthday is so don't expect friends nor work mates to know.

Birthdays weren't a big fuss. Everyone has one every year, it's not that special. Gives us a reason to phone but usually not gifts, maybe cards, maybe not.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
btw, my kids use full words when texting, so all is not lost.

(irony - I just used btw. Lolol)

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
A call here and there. Less and less each year. Almost down to all texts and FB messages. I do receive three cards each year - my two sons/daughter-in-laws and one of the daughter-in-law's mom.

Curious what my daughter will do for my next birthday. My first one she is not living home.....will it be a card, text or card?